SASS Wire Forum

Tex's opinion or rule change?

Straight Arrow Hombre

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Come to think of it, just this past year I saw Tex show up at a banquet for a major shoot wearing blue jeans. Tex knows people. He has been around a long time in this game. He knows how his statements can be misinterpreted. That is why he wore the jeans to the banquet. He wanted people to see how to do it correctly. My husband, Texas Slim, is his good friend. Texas Slim ALWAYS wears jeans because he shoots B-Western. Tex GETS it.

Tex's editorials are just that, his opinion. And in my mind, as one of the founding members of SASS, he is entitled to voice those opinions. There is no reason to "dummy" down costume requirements if you are shooting in a costume category.

And away we go . . .

Lil.

When you've won EOT, or even your category on the World stage while dressed in high 19th Century style, devoted more than 30 years of your life, money & heart to this game, IMO you've earned the right to be THE arbiter of what constitutes appropriate style. (Even if it's Cat that has to pick out his clothes so his color-blindness don't show)!

Gosh, I always thought that was what the shooters handbook was for.

Been shooting along time, shot with Tex on numerous occasions. He defines "spirt of the game", always having fun and I've never seen him whine about stuff we had to do back in the day or today. I believe he's entitled to his opinion. Especially since he and a couple others are responsible for the game we love to play. Tex, the WB, and a few others have opinions that should be heard and respected. I've seen many clubs come and go, along with shooters. Some of us have weathered the storm and continue to soldier on because we are dedicated to CAS and the lifestyle. If you have not built targets and props, set up matches, RO'ed when asked by match directors, served as a match director, written scenarios, shoveled and raked, answered phones at midnight, made plaques, shown up at the range at dawn, etc, your opinion does not mean alot to me and others that have busted their butts through the years. Respect is earned by action not talk, I'll always listen when Tex has something to say. I don't have to agree. Grizzly Dave, although you are a relatively new shooter I'm sure if you run into Tex somewhere he will take the time to listen to your opinion too.

Been shooting along time, shot with Tex on numerous occasions. He defines "spirt of the game", always having fun and I've never seen him whine about stuff we had to do back in the day or today. I believe he's entitled to his opinion. Especially since he and a couple others are responsible for the game we love to play. Tex, the WB, and a few others have opinions that should be heard and respected. I've seen many clubs come and go, along with shooters. Some of us have weathered the storm and continue to soldier on because we are dedicated to CAS and the lifestyle. If you have not built targets and props, set up matches, RO'ed when asked by match directors, served as a match director, written scenarios, shoveled and raked, answered phones at midnight, made plaques, shown up at the range at dawn, etc, your opinion does not mean alot to me and others that have busted their butts through the years. Respect is earned by action not talk, I'll always listen when Tex has something to say. I don't have to agree. Grizzly Dave, although you are a relatively new shooter I'm sure if you run into Tex somewhere he will take the time to listen to your opinion too.

The Grizz a 'new' shooter? That's funny right there. Kinda like the continuing of this thread :P

GG

I believe every damn body else that has payed their money is entitled to their opinion TOO

I believe every damn body else that has payed their money is entitled to their opinion TOO

And we state our opinion here every single fricken day.

And extraordinarily few have give as much as Tex has to the game...

And Grizzly Dave, you are indeed a relatively new shooter...nuthin wrong with that of course...but yer talkin about TEX.

Phantom

OK, it is clear that most of you misunderstood my comments, so I will try to clarify...

IF I ever chose not to posse with Tex, it would be for HIS benefit, not mine as he's said repeatedly in his commentaries in his editorials how seeing people wearing jeans takes away from the experience for himself and everyone else. I would no more wish to diminish his good time by my jeans than I would diminish someone else's by intentionally farting in their face. Honestly I was trying to show respect for the man, not attack him.

OK, it is clear that most of you misunderstood my comments, so I will try to clarify...

IF I ever chose not to posse with Tex, it would be for HIS benefit, not mine as he's said repeatedly in his commentaries in his editorials how seeing people wearing jeans takes away from the experience for himself and everyone else. I would no more wish to diminish his good time by my jeans than I would diminish someone else's by intentionally farting in their face. Honestly I was trying to show respect for the man, not attack him.

If you say so.

Cheers...

Phantom

And we state our opinion here every single fricken day.

And extraordinarily few have give as much as Tex has to the game...yes this is true

And Grizzly Dave, you are indeed a relatively new shooter...nuthin wrong with that of course...but yer talkin a no more weight then bout TEX.

Phantom

sorry Phantom, your opinion Texs opinion and Assassin opinion carry absolutely no more weight then my opinion or Grizzly Daves opinion

C'mon guys, we're all on the same team here.

Fillmore

sorry Phantom, your opinion Texs opinion and Assassin opinion carry absolutely no more weight then my opinion or Grizzly Daves opinion

Tex's opinion does carry more weight.

Most definitely...I mean...come on.

You may think a lot of your opinion and the weight it carries, but I don't think that my opinion carries anywhere near what TEX's does. I can't speak for Assassin.

Phantom

When you've won EOT, or even your category on the World stage while dressed in high 19th Century style, devoted more than 30 years of your life, money & heart to this game, IMO you've earned the right to be THE arbiter of what constitutes appropriate style. (Even if it's Cat that has to pick out his clothes so his color-blindness don't show)!

Gosh, I always thought that was what the shooters handbook was for.

+1

Tex is a class act, and a gentleman to boot. He has earned his spurs, and I am always pleased to shoot with the man. :) Ya'll have a good night, and get yourselves signed up for EOT come the morning! Gonna be a good one! :D

And silver dropped below $19.00 today. Time to buy more eagles!

Indeed!

Fillmore

Allie Mo, please drive a stake through this dead horses heart!!

Tex's opinion does carry more weight. no more then yours or mine

Most definitely...I mean...come on.

You may think a lot of your opinion and the weight it carries, but I don't think that my opinion carries anywhere near what TEX's does. I can't speak for Assassin.

Phantom

Use self control............just don't open the thread anymore and it will die...........someday <_<

It's like a traffic accident or hot girls/guys...........ya gotta look ;):P

I think some people are taking what grizzly dave said out of context.

I would shoot with grizzly dave anywhere anytime. and I would LOVE to shoot with grizzly dave and tex on the same posse someday.

they both exhibit a positive, friendly, and open manner the entire time. it would make for an extremely memorable match for the whole posse.

cbj

Hi Yul,

I feel this thread is getting too personal. If that doesn't stop, I will close it.

Although, Grizzly Dave is relatively new to the game, he has a good heart and has tried to "spread the word" about our sport with his videos.

Here is my word for the day. Editorial: an article in a newspaper or other periodical presenting the opinion of the publisher, editor, or editors.

Sure, Tex has done a lot for our sport. As an editor stating his opinion and as a member of the WB who controls whether these forums exist, he should be aware that his opinions may be subject to critique here. I don't see that as a slap in his face. Nor do I feel his opinions carry so much weight they cannot be criticized. As a moderator and wire denizen, I just want the discussion to be civil.

Regards,

Allie Mo

PS It gives me no joy to close threads. I would be happy if I never needed to close another.

PPS Call me Pollyanna; but I would like nothing better than for the Wire to be representative of behavior at a match. The number one thing to accomplish that would be no more public insults to people who disagree with your opinion.

Maybe there should be a disclaimer on the Editorials that they are an opinion or something along that matter. While it's true that "From the Editor" by definition is an editorial, any opinion piece by a high-ranking official will be more scrutinized and have a lot more weight than a garden variety "letter to the editor" that Joe Shooter writes. I'm on the board of an organization, and I have to be careful about the things I write online with my members because I'm in a position of leadership. It goes with the territory.

I'm only just getting started with SASS so my opinion is worth even less than two cents, but when I've seen almost monthly complaints and threads relating to the editorial, that tells me that there's an issue.

I think some people are taking what grizzly dave said out of context.

I would shoot with grizzly dave anywhere anytime. and I would LOVE to shoot with grizzly dave and tex on the same posse someday.

they both exhibit a positive, friendly, and open manner the entire time. it would make for an extremely memorable match for the whole posse.

cbj

Thank you kind sir, I'd posse with you any day as well. Got to see your pard Gateway today and we talked about you...it wasn't even all bad :D I hope you can make it over for the state match, someone needs to keep Gateway and a few others on their toes. If accommodations are a problem, I'm sure we can find ya a bunk somewhere.

At today's monthly match we had two shooters try to call penalties on two shooter that purposely closed their doubles for vertical staging to move down range. They just read the CC and thought the rule changed again. They do not read the Wire. This is going to take some time to get everyone on board. Perhaps more explanation from the RO committee in the rule book would help next update.

Shooters handbook page 19

Minor safety infractions occurring during a course of fire that do not directly endanger persons
result in a ten-second penalty being added to the shooter’s time per occurrence for that stage.
“Minor” safety infractions are occurrences such as
failure to open a long gun’s action at the
conclusion of a shooting string or
failure to return a handgun to its holster at the conclusion of a
shooting string.

Remove red portion

Shooters handbook page 22

Long guns will (change to "should") be discarded open and empty with their barrels pointed safely down range. If
the action of a long gun closes after being opened and emptied, the shooter will, at the
conclusion of the stage, show it to be clear to the TO or spotter. Appropriate penalties will
be applied if it is not clear. No one other than the competitor may handle the gun in question.

(Note - This is the correct way to apply this action contrary to other applications as shown in Handbook and RO-I)

Shooters handbook page 23

Long guns will have their actions left open and the magazines/barrels empty at the
conclusion of each shooting string. A 10 second minor safety penalty will be assessed if the
firearm is not cleared or opened. This condition may be corrected prior to the next round
being fired.
If the long gun is the last firearm used, it must be cleared prior to it leaving the
shooters hand(s) at the unloading table. This does not apply to guns shot out of sequence,
made “safe” and then restaged.
If the action of a long gun closes after being opened and
emptied, the shooter will, at the conclusion of the stage, show it to be clear to the TO or a
spotter. Appropriate penalties will be applied if it is not clear. No one other than the
competitor may handle the gun in question. See RO-I for further clarification.

Remove red portion. There is no longer a MSV penalty for failure to open a long gun, only a penalty for a fired or unfired round in the gun.

RO-1 Page 12

“Action Open.” This command is given by the Timer Operator when a competitor puts a
long-gun down with the action closed.
The Timer Operator must do everything in his/her
power to prevent the shooter from moving from that position with the action on any long-gun
closed. If the shooter puts down a gun with the action closed, but returns and opens the
action before firing the next firearm, there is no penalty.

Remove red portion

RO-I page 16

Shotguns may be restaged only if open and empty.

Possible rewrite on this sentence.

RO-I page 16

Shotgun
Safe to leave the shooters hands.
• Empty, action open

Needs to be rewritten to conform to rules as stated by ROC. Apply to all long guns

RO-I page 17

Long guns will have their actions left open and the magazine/barrels empty at the conclusion
of each shooting string. A 10 second minor safety penalty will be assessed if the firearm is
not cleared and opened. This condition may be corrected prior to the next round being fired.
If the long gun is the last firearm used, it must be cleared prior to it leaving the shooters
hand(s) at the unloading table. This does not apply to guns shot out of sequence and made
“safe” and then restaged. If the action of a long gun closes after being opened and emptied,
the shooter will, at the conclusion of the stage, show it to be clear to the TO or a spotter.
Appropriate penalties will be applied if it was not clear. No one other than the competitor
may handle the gun in question.

See previous ref. in Shooter Handbook

RO-I page 21

Minor safety infractions occurring during a course of fire that do not directly endanger
persons will result in a 10-second penalty being added to the shooter’s time for that stage.
“Minor” safety infractions are occurrences such as
failure to open a long gun’s action at the
conclusion of a shooting string or
failure to return an empty revolver to its holster at the
conclusion of a shooting string.

Remove red portion

These are my notes on the subject of closed long guns. They are not to be construed as changes or corrections.

They are notes and need to be reviewed and considered by many before actual changes are made.

I post them here only to give everyone a reference as to why so many may be confused.

Hi Ace,

I disagree that the comments in red should be removed. As "failure to open a long gun’s action at the conclusion of a shooting string" will definitely result in spent ammo and possibly live ammo in the gun. Long guns must be opened for spent ammo to eject. :o I thought you knew this. :unsure:;)

Regards,

Allie

The additional rewrites/corrections/clarifications have been submitted for publication.

Final review is currently under way among the ROC & WB.

There is no plan to open up the verbiage for discussion here on the Wire.

Archived