SASS Wire Forum

.38-40 for original Win 73

Tom Bullweed

I know that we cannot post a load, but I need to reload for an original Winchester 1873 in good condition. I want to use something less than my near-factory W2-31 loads that I use for an original Win 1892. I use want to use RedDot or Bullseye. I do not use Trailboss due to my local dealers pricing it like a pound per container.

I shoot BP/subs at many matches; you're right about the .38WCF being a great BP round. Unfortunately, the local state match does not have enough cowboys signing up for FC Gunfighter, so I will choose to shoot smokeless GF instead of FC Duelist.

What Lumpy said. That rifle was designed, assembled & tested for black powder .........

Tom , I've a Uberti in 38-40; all I shoot in it is 2F Goex. No blowback due to the cartridge design!

I love it! Easy to clean with just baby wipes ! I use big lube bullets , with pearl lube. NO problems!

At least try it with BP ! MDM

Thanks for the responses. I shoot plenty of BP and know that the pressure curve for smokeless is sharper than for BP loads that are not super-compressed. I got a couple of good suggestions that I will be trying this weekend for soft smokeless loads.

Archived