SASS Wire Forum

Cross slide vise for drill press

Jess Money

I'm wanting a cross slide vise to use on my drill press. I've looked at a number of them on e-bay but can't decide which to get. I know they are not .0001 precision but that's not entirely necessary. I want a 4" to 6". Any advice, yeas or nays, from those of you who may have one?

Jess

I have em on my presses , they are ok , for some things

be advised the acc is closer to .010 give or take , if you are wanting .0001 as stated , get a good mill

I have had mine so long , you can NOT even read , who made em

most drill presses , do not have the streangth to be used as a mill , the chuck WILL come loose

get another press , if you want to leave it on the table , other wise , you will spend a lot of time resetting it

Good luck , the above , caqme from the school of HARD KNOCKS , upside my head :wacko:

Chickasaw Bill

I have a decent crosslide on my drill press and have milled with it. I can hold within 3 thousandths (.003) but if you want .0001 you need a jig bore not a mill. A mill is good for .001 but better than that is hit or miss. I do know that for sure because I was a toolmaker for over 40yrs. Also my slide is separate from the vise so I can use my rotary table also. Press also has new bearings.

Perhaps I mislead you pards.

My original post stated:

"....I've looked at a number of them on e-bay but can't decide which to get. I know they are not .0001 precision but that's not entirely necessary...."

Little or no milling at all will be involved using metals and perhaps just cutting an occasional relief area in wood with a mill end. My purposes are for decent alignment for drilling. I was looking for a brand name more than anything and what you may recommend, pro or con.

It sounds like you want an inexpensive one. Some of the "better" inexpensive ones are Jet and Grizzly. Still made in China. Just log onto ENCO.com and buy one. It will be fine for what you want. Stay away from Harbor Freight.

Guest Grass Range #51406

I have a compound table I used before I bought a vertical mill with a 24" compound table. 7" x 7". This fastens to the base of the drill press and the vise fastens to it. I think it is a South Bend and sold for $400 a few years ago. Better quality than the foreign stuff

Archived