SASS Wire Forum

Shootings..Make that "KNIFINGS" in Isla Vista, CA

Subdeacon Joe

The usual progressive drivel "This is the NRA's fault!" Not the thug who pulled the trigger. Not the school industry that taught him that he must always be able to feel good about himself and must always be instantly gratified. But the NRA, which has been unable to stop the progressives in Sacramento from passing some of the most bizarre, draconian, and Byzantine restrictions on our 2nd Amendment civil rights in the US.

California has background checks, waiting periods, one-gun-a-month restrictions, required tests, fingerprinting of gun buyers, lock or safe requirements, along with restrictions on carry. All the things that progressives claim will stop things like what the self-centered, narcissistic little thug from carrying out his crimes.

But it is the fault of the NRA.

From his self-absorbed manifesto:
""I'm 22 years old and still a virgin, never even kissed a girl. And through college, 2 1/2 years, more than that actually, I'm still a virgin. It has been very torturous,” he said. "The popular kids, you never accepted me and now you will all pay for it. Girls, all I ever wanted was to love you, be loved by you. I wanted a girlfriend. I wanted sex, love, affection, adoration.”

I guess it's the fault of the NRA that he was a dweeb that couldn't get laid, too.

EDITED TO CHANGE SUBJECT LINE AND TO ADD:

Since the little thug started his killing spree with a knife, it makes more sense to call it the "Isla Vista Knifings."

Howdy,

Was watching the talking heads last night and one shrink said that he may have been Gay and upset that the women were taking the men from him.

The news is reporting now that he had "Aspergers Syndrome". His family had called the police a week earlier and reported that he might be dangerous after he posted the threat on YouTube. The police talked to him and released him. If that is the case, this would be the 2nd. mass killing by a young person with "Aspergers" that seems to have slipped through the cracks in our obviously piss poor mental health system. It's a very sad situation and goes to show that once again dangerous people with mental health problems are out there.

And once agin, the liberal anti-gun could will do their best to take advantage of this situation to take our freedoms and right to protect ourselves and families from us. CNN was blaming "The Gun" within a half hour of the major networks picking up on the story. I just don't understand their philosophy, that I will be safer if I give up my means to protect myself.

Prayers up for the loved ones that lost their lives. And damn those that would use this tragedy to forward their political agendas.

A wealthy good looking young man in a Beemer can't get a girlfriend? He must have been putting out some bad vibes to repel the girls he talked to.

A wealthy good looking young man in a Beemer can't get a girlfriend? He must have been putting out some bad vibes to repel the girls he talked to.

Yep, I would say the girls saw right through that nut.

Did anyone check and see if he legally purchased that car? We all know cars kill more people.

As usual all the news outlets were ballyhooing the "shooting", talking about 8 dead, and the "shooting", all about the "shooting", but NONE, NONE so far have mentioned that he killed a few people with a knife, an instrument that is used FAR, FAR more times to kill than all firearms combined, have you heard anything about banning knives?

He was diagnosed with a mental disease and yet he could legally buy 3 firearms??????????

WHY WASNT THAT IN THE BACKGOUND CHECKS???????????????????

We dang sure know what kind of guns he used and the calibers but what kind of knife did he use?

Was it a legal knife?

Yeah we need more gun laws.... NOT!!!

Oh wait..he had an excuse.. Girls didnt like him...poor baby!

Tascosa

His daddy is involved (director, producer?) with The Hunger Games, a very violent series, bought his baby boy a BMW, and gave him everything he could buy.

Now, is anyone going to bring up the "entertainment" that daddy made for twisting the kid's head around, maybe the video games and movies he watched, or is this going to be whitewashed and ignored, too?

He was diagnosed with a mental disease and yet he could legally buy 3 firearms??????????

WHY WASNT THAT IN THE BACKGOUND CHECKS???????????????????

We dang sure know what kind of guns he used and the calibers but what kind of knife did he use?

Was it a legal knife?

Yeah we need more gun laws.... NOT!!!

Oh wait..he had an excuse.. Girls didnt like him...poor baby!

Tascosa

Asberger's syndrome is what is called an "autism spectrum disorder" or a "pervasive developmental disorder." WMy understanding is that under the new DSM it is being separated out from autism. People who are diagnosed with it do not have a "mental disease" and are not considered such that they would fall under a background check. In fact, the vast majority of people with Asberger's or Asberger's type symptoms function just fine in society. They tend to be socially awkward and maybe "odd" or "nerdy" to the average person, but they also tend (in my limited experience) to be average to above average in intelligence. If you've watched "The Big Bang Theory," the character Sheldon Cooper is stereotypical to the point of cliche´ of a person with Asberger's. Above all, they know right from wrong. Whether or not the murderer had Asberger's or not is irrelevant in my mind. He had deeper problems, and I could throw out all kinds of theories. The fact is, it doesn't matter. He knew what he was doing.

I will jump off my soapbox now, and join in asking where is the cry to ban knives, since his first three victims were killed by one?

In an extremely sad incident near my home, a high school student with Asperger's slashed the throat of a fellow student whom he did not even know; his explanation was that he "wanted to see what a dying person looked like up close".

This was a very (but narrowly) intelligent individual who excelled in certain areas but lacked any social skills; he was an outcast among his classmates; he was sent by his parents (God knows why) to a CSI-like summer program, where he "studied" forensics; he had been enrolled in and removed from multiple schools due to an inability to get along with others; he spent a huge amount of time playing extremely violent video games; he seemed to lack any appreciation for the difference between real killing and fictionalized killing; he has now been sentenced to life in prison.

I don't have the answers. I still firmly believe that the weapon is irrelevant. This guy killed with a knife and a gun, and assaulted others with a car. To the extent that anyone can hope to prevent premeditated mass murders, my sense is that it will only be possible through recognizing and modifying behaviors before these damaged people decide to take their indiscriminate revenge on the world.

LL

In an extremely sad incident near my home, a high school student with Asperger's slashed the throat of a fellow student whom he did not even know; his explanation was that he "wanted to see what a dying person looked like up close".

This was a very (but narrowly) intelligent individual who excelled in certain areas but lacked any social skills; he was an outcast among his classmates; he was sent by his parents (God knows why) to a CSI-like summer program, where he "studied" forensics; he had been enrolled in and removed from multiple schools due to an inability to get along with others; he spent a huge amount of time playing extremely violent video games; he seemed to lack any appreciation for the difference between real killing and fictionalized killing; he has now been sentenced to life in prison.

I don't have the answers. I still firmly believe that the weapon is irrelevant. This guy killed with a knife and a gun, and assaulted others with a car. To the extent that anyone can hope to prevent premeditated mass murders, my sense is that it will only be possible through recognizing and modifying behaviors before these damaged people decide to take their indiscriminate revenge on the world.

LL

Exactly. You might have seen this before: "For men of understanding do not say that the sword is to blame for murder, nor wine for drunkenness, nor strength for outrage, nor courage for foolhardiness, but they lay the blame on those who make an improper use of the gifts which have been bestowed upon them by God, and punish them accordingly. "(St. John Chrysostom)

Asberger's syndrome is what is called an "autism spectrum disorder" or a "pervasive developmental disorder." WMy understanding is that under the new DSM it is being separated out from autism. People who are diagnosed with it do not have a "mental disease" and are not considered such that they would fall under a background check. In fact, the vast majority of people with Asberger's or Asberger's type symptoms function just fine in society. They tend to be socially awkward and maybe "odd" or "nerdy" to the average person, but they also tend (in my limited experience) to be average to above average in intelligence. If you've watched "The Big Bang Theory," the character Sheldon Cooper is stereotypical to the point of cliche´ of a person with Asberger's. Above all, they know right from wrong. Whether or not the murderer had Asberger's or not is irrelevant in my mind. He had deeper problems, and I could throw out all kinds of theories. The fact is, it doesn't matter. He knew what he was doing.

I will jump off my soapbox now, and join in asking where is the cry to ban knives, since his first three victims were killed by one?

Thanks for providing some clarity to an other otherwise complex situation.

His psychiatric treatments would not show up on a background check.

The news is reporting now that he had "Aspergers Syndrome". His family had called the police a week earlier and reported that he might be dangerous after he posted the threat on YouTube. The police talked to him and released him. If that is the case, this would be the 2nd. mass killing by a young person with "Aspergers" that seems to have slipped through the cracks in our obviously piss poor mental health system. It's a very sad situation and goes to show that once again dangerous people with mental health problems are out there.

And once agin, the liberal anti-gun could will do their best to take advantage of this situation to take our freedoms and right to protect ourselves and families from us. CNN was blaming "The Gun" within a half hour of the major networks picking up on the story. I just don't understand their philosophy, that I will be safer if I give up my means to protect myself.

+1. Well written, Sir.

Prayers up for the loved ones that lost their lives. And damn those that would use this tragedy to forward their political agendas.

Thanks for providing some clarity to an other otherwise complex situation.

I've known a few, including relatives, who either have the diagnosis, or likely would have if necessary. I'm nowhere near expert on the issue, but I think it is important to understand, despite the challenges that one who has been so diagnosed faces, it doesn't automatically render the person a danger to society.

What we have done is create multiple generations of children with such great self-esteem that they can't handle failure. Add any sort of mental illness into the mix and you have a tragedy waiting to happen.

Laz

His psychiatric treatments would not show up on a background check.

True. The only way anything that has to do with medical problems that would prevent someone from buying a gun, would be if the Doctor thought it dangerous enough and reported it to law enforcement so it would show up on the background check. Fat chance of that happening.

Just to jump on with this also, DocWard is pretty much right on other than the classifications a bit. Aspergers used to be its own category separate from Autism, but they merged it with Autism and it's now called Mild Autism rather than Aspergers. There was mild, medium, and severe of both before. All three forms levels of Aspergers now reside in the mild end of the Autism spectrum. Parents of Aspergers children are not all real happy about the reclassification due to the stigma associated with Autism. There can be a mild anti social behavior associated with it but it's not sociopathic or physcotic. For example I work with a cop that has very mild Aspergers and she would simply rather be around her horses than people, but she functions great as an officer. The social part is that they don't always get the social ques that you and I might. They may annoy you with their behavior because they say the wrong things because they can't separate fact from social behavior so they may be insensitive without meaning to be. IE; they don't understand personal space, I've encounterd Aspergers kids who want to touch everything on my duty belt at work, my badge, etc because they don't understand not too....but if you tell them to stop they will. Kids who are old enough to know not to, but don't, may say "you're fat" because you are ..they don't understand not to do that. They are also very fact based thinkers and very literal. Those are mild cases, there can be more serious communication issues as they climb the spectrum. I have several friends with that have Aspergers/Autism and it can be very trying in certain cases.

It angers me that they try to blame Aspergers for this kind of sociopathic homicidal behavior. If someone with Aspergers commits such an act it's because there is something else going on too. It's not the Apergers....

Oh and I'm not a physc major although my department would like me to play one on TV.. ;)... I only have an inkling of a clue because I literally just completed a week long training class on understanding and dealing with people with mental health disorders, delayed intellectual and mental function, PTSD...etc. honestly it's one of the best classes Ive been sent to.

Don't be so quick to dismiss that as never happening Sage. Ever hear the questions asked when you enter a hospital for treatment? Right now the CDC and many health organizations are trying to call injuries from gunshots "disease", they did this during Clinton's reign and are trying again. If gunshot wounds are called a "disease" then we have an epidemic, ever hear that one before? Yeah. So we need to stop it. All a doc would have to do is make a note that you are not fit to own a gun based on guidelines proposed by the Gov't, whether its true or not, and its on your permanent record. We have an epidemic out there we need to control.

As a rule , I normaly do NOT post on threads like this

WHO , is qualifed to make the decision , one is unsafe to own firearms

some DR? , whom is paid by those , that would deny everyone ?

all most everyone , has a trigger , that can be viewed as PTSD ,

set back and think of the problems , cuased by lack of personal intreguarty ,

people , need to be held responsable for thair actions ,

Chickasaw Bill

Exactly Chickasaw. Who indeed. You are joking about personal integrity and responsibility right? Look at what you wrote again and think about what's happening in the world today. It's a rhetorical question and I'm not making fun of you, just being sarcastic while agreeing with you, meaning, its not going to happen.

Don't be so quick to dismiss that as never happening Sage. Ever hear the questions asked when you enter a hospital for treatment? Right now the CDC and many health organizations are trying to call injuries from gunshots "disease", they did this during Clinton's reign and are trying again. If gunshot wounds are called a "disease" then we have an epidemic, ever hear that one before? Yeah. So we need to stop it. All a doc would have to do is make a note that you are not fit to own a gun based on guidelines proposed by the Gov't, whether its true or not, and its on your permanent record. We have an epidemic out there we need to control.

We need to get them to quantify and define exactly what it takes for something to be an "epidemic." Combine deaths and injuries, all causes (suicide, accident, criminal, and justifiable) by firearm each year and it is somewhere around 120,00 per year. Is 120,000 spread through a population about 310,000,000 an "epidemic?" And if we look at it as a percentage of gun owners, including individuals who are prohibited from owning guns, and make the false assumption that every death or injury is a unique event by a unique individual, and posit that there are 100,000,000 gun owners in the US, then about 1/8 of 1% of all gun owners kill or injure another person. Is that an "epidemic" of violence by gun owners?

Just to jump on with this also, DocWard is pretty much right on other than the classifications a bit. Aspergers used to be its own category separate from Autism, but they merged it with Autism and it's now called Mild Autism rather than Aspergers. There was mild, medium, and severe of both before. All three forms levels of Aspergers now reside in the mild end of the Autism spectrum. Parents of Aspergers children are not all real happy about the reclassification due to the stigma associated with Autism.

I looked back at what I wrote, and you're right, I did get it bass-ackwards. Not sure why, because I do know better. I should have been sufficiently caffeinated at that point, so that can't be it.

Doc I stand corrected. Thanks for the info as I know nothing about mental illness or aspergers. Maybe its just anothr case of a rich kid given everything he wanted and felt sorry for himself cause nobody liked him... A little butthole!

Tascosa

The sheriff alluded at the press conference that it appeared to be a suicide regarding the death of the coward, now I know he can't make any comment as to what happened, but maybe he didn't shoot himself..........

Doc I stand corrected. Thanks for the info as I know nothing about mental illness or aspergers. Maybe its just anothr case of a rich kid given everything he wanted and felt sorry for himself cause nobody liked him... A little butthole!

Tascosa

Most people don't have any real reason to know. If not for my personally life, along with a bit of professional experience, I would never have learned about it.

As a rule , I normaly do NOT post on threads like this

WHO , is qualifed to make the decision , one is unsafe to own firearms

some DR? , whom is paid by those , that would deny everyone ?

all most everyone , has a trigger , that can be viewed as PTSD ,

set back and think of the problems , cuased by lack of personal intreguarty ,

people , need to be held responsable for thair actions ,

Chickasaw Bill

I have known a couple of guys who were way off the apex of the mental health bell curve, one had a pistol that I "stole" and gave to his brother, who did not know he had it, to get it away. The other, who was, on occaision, "looking for a gun" was finally found mentally incompetent and went into a hospital.

IMO saying personal integrity and personal responsibility should be paramount when dealing with mentally ill people is a bit, well, disengenuous. By definition their sense of reality is not normal.

The problem to me is as Chickisaw says. Who makes the determination as to who can not have a gun and what is their agenda?

This guy in Santa Barbara legally purchased three handguns. Who knew it and when? Did this guy totally operate in a vacume with NOBODY knowing what his thoughts were? The "System" failed, but I have not heard yet of anything known to someone that would prevent him from legally buying a gun.

It's a mess, at least he can never hurt anyone again, other than what he has done. Not with a knife, a gun,a car or words.

I looked back at what I wrote, and you're right, I did get it bass-ackwards. Not sure why, because I do know better. I should have been sufficiently caffeinated at that point, so that can't be it.

I kinda figured that anyways when you talked about it recently changing.... Heck you're a Doc, you know more than me ;)

Found this on Facebook:

10392504_548001615310054_436192792049358

Don't forget the one or two that he killed with his cute little Beamer.

Archived