SASS Wire Forum

Sports Salaries and what's important

OK I know there are many fans here on the web.

But,last night on the news they talked about some collgee couch who just won a championship. He's new and this is a big deal. So they sign him for 5 years at $2,000,000.00 a year.

But the educators who are actually educating the people who are the future of America won't make that in a lifetime.

How about we pay Steven Hawking's $5,000,000.00 a year instead of some dullard catching some sort of ball a few times a game!!!!

Personally I think we have our priorities backwards.

It's all about the money. A winning coach stands to make the college a lot more money than they'll pay him, so it's a good investment to pay him enough to keep him happy. Spending that kind of money on teachers doesn't return hardly anything to the school. Maybe a few alumni who'll send them a donation now and then. (And even then, alumni are more likely to donate if the school has a winning sports team.)

Sparky you mean an education doesn't return anything to the school

I agree with you Irish every sports player and coach is way way over paid

Here's a curious thought... what if politicians pay was based on performance...? :rolleyes:

they would be broker than I am Hardpan LOL :D:lol::lol:

Most normal people are paid for what they do. In the CEO and Coaching world, they are paid by what they produce. If they produce $100 million dollar a year sports program, they are not going to settle for a teacher's salary.

Hardpan, if that was the case, politicians would be on welfare. Oh, wait they are.

Irish Ike, it is hard at times to wrap ones mind around what some of these coaches and athletes are getting paid. If I could get paid 2,000,000 dollars a year. I would work that year and then quit and let someone else have my job. Boston Red Sox just signed Steve Drew for ten million smackers for the balance of the season. Nice work if you can get it.

Keep your powder dry

Shawnee

I don't care what sports figures and coaches make, it isn't my tax money. Now the politician's salaries, that's different.

Hardpan, if that was the case, politicians would be on welfare. Oh, wait they are.

Irish Ike, it is hard at times to wrap ones mind around what some of these coaches and athletes are getting paid. If I could get paid 2,000,000 dollars a year. I would work that year and then quit and let someone else have my job. Boston Red Sox just signed Steve Drew for ten million smackers for the balance of the season. Nice work if you can get it.

Keep your powder dry

Shawnee

Yeah, the Rays signed Grant Balfour (closer pitcher) for 6 million a year. The guy looks like a pitcher with Tourretes on crack. Pitches less than one inning every 3rd game or so. My girlfiend calls him Grant Ball Four.

$2,000,000.00 a year. That's chump change for the new football coach at "THE" University of Texas. Charlie Strong is getting about $5,000,000.00 a year plus a whole bunch of other perks. According to "THE" University, (notice I said according to) the football program pulls in all the money to support all other athletic programs at the school.

I'm not going to comment further on the subject, other than to say some of us defiantly have our priorities wrong.

How about we pay Steven Hawking's $5,000,000.00 a year instead of some dullard catching some sort of ball a few times a game!!!!

Personally I think we have our priorities backwards.

Who would WE be? Should everybody on the planet just give up several dollars of our own money for this? I think not. The people Steven Hawking works for and him agreed that they will pay him whatever he makes for what ever he does. That's the free market in action.

For whatever reason, fans are willing to PAY whatever it costs to pay said dullard to catch said ball. Or drive around in a circle turning left. That's also the free market at work.

Do I think that sports figures make WAAAAY to much money? Absolutely. I think the same for actors, politicians, news readers, musicians, and any number of other types. But the free market supports it, so apparently what I think doesn't matter.

I believe in free capitalism. What an employee and employer agree to is nobody's business but theirs.

Just don't ask me to contribute to it.

Haven't seen any pro sports in decades, don't buy anything with their logos on it, pay no attention to who's endorsing anything.

What's really funny is I remember when Jackie Sherrill went to Texas A&M back in the late 70s for an unheard of 225K/year. That will barely get you a 2nd tier assistant now!

Of course, A&M has to pay more, just to get people to live in College Station.......

Archived