SASS Wire Forum

The Ban That Isn't

Subdeacon Joe

http://danaloeschradio.com/bloomberg-moms-fail-to-push-chipotle-to-ban-guns-from-stores/

http://danaloeschradio.com/chipotle-to-customer-not-a-ban-on-guns/

From: Chipotle Support <case_activity_track@n-7epvqgrqb2rc3e1vydlnl1zr8.uy4lnmac.u.apex.salesforce.com>
Date: May 22, 2014 at 10:33:06 AM CDT
To: “REDACTED”
Subject: Reply from Chipotle
Reply-To: case_activity_track@n-7epvqgrqb2rc3e1vydlnl1zr8.uy4lnmac.u.apex.salesforce.com

Yes, that is accurate. This is not a ban.

Sincerely,
Kate

————————————–
Subject: Reply from Chipotle
Body:Thanks Kate. You understand how this is hard to decipher for me. So when you say you’ll continue to comply with local laws, you will technically allow concealed carry where it’s allowed in the state, while at the same time encourage people to not do it. Is that accurate?

Sent from my iPhone

> On May 21, 2014, at 5:43 PM, Chipotle Support wrote:
>
> Hi [REDACTED],
>
> I can certainly understand your question. As it stands, we are strongly and respectfully asking that our customers not bring any guns into our restaurants. We will continue to comply with local laws. We hope that responsible patrons, like yourself, will honor this request.
>
> Kate
>
> ————————————–
> Subject: Reply from Chipotle
> Body:Thanks for your response. But again, to clarify, you again below reference open carry. Can you confirm, yes or no, am I as a lawful concealed carrier officially banned from going to Chipotle?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On May 21, 2014, at 1:06 PM, Chipotle Support wrote:
> >
> > To ensure we receive your response, please do not modify the subject line.
> >
> > [REDACTED],
> >
> > Thanks for reaching out with your question and concerns. We recognize that this is a sensitive issue and we respect that people have very different points of view. Chipotle has never taken a position on this issue, as we focus instead on our mission to change the way people think about and eat fast food. We have always complied with local laws. The recent “open carry” demonstration in Texas, caused us to now respectfully ask that customers not bring guns into our restaurants, unless they are authorized law enforcement personnel. The vast majority of gun owners are responsible citizens and we appreciate them honoring this request. We hope that our customers agree with us that it is the role of elected officials and the legislative process to set policy in this area, not the role of businesses like Chipotle.

- See more at: http://danaloeschradio.com/chipotle-to-customer-not-a-ban-on-guns/#sthash.zkxsnFUa.dpuf

I wrote Chipotle and told them that I would not patronizing their establishments anymore and got the following reply back.

Christopher,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I'm sorry if our recent statements to the press have offended you or made you rethink our restaurants' place in your routine. We realize there are strong arguments on both sides of this issue, and we don't think it is our place to take a side. We do, however, feel it important to provide a comfortable environment for our customers. For this reason, we have decided respectfully to ask our customers not to bring guns into the restaurants. I hope you can respect our position here, and we hope you can continue to enjoy Chipotle despite your disagreement.

Sincerely,

James

Customer Service Consultant

Chipotle Mexican Grill

Contact Name: Christopher Colpitts

Phone Number: {!Contact.Phone}

Restaurant Name: {!Case.RestaurantName__c} Date & Time of Visit: //Z

Original Comment:

I was dismayed to hear that your chain has recently decided to ban firearms in your restaurants. Do to this action I will no longer be a customer or your chain.

Respectfully,

Christopher Colpitts

Case thread ID : [500U000000CMiQ0IAL.003U000000z92C4IAI] <http://na12.salesforce.com/servlet/servlet.ImageServer?oid=00DU0000000Y4ln&esid=018U0000004WdFO>

Thought about replying but not sure what to say. Basically they have chosen a side by their statement.

http://danaloeschradio.com/bloomberg-moms-fail-to-push-chipotle-to-ban-guns-from-stores/

http://danaloeschradio.com/chipotle-to-customer-not-a-ban-on-guns/

The recent “open carry” demonstration in Texas, caused us to now respectfully ask that customers not bring guns into our restaurants, unless they are authorized law enforcement personnel.

This line says it all. As I am to understand, in the State of Texas - to get the Concealed Handgun license, it is authorized by the law enforcement! Therefore, a CHL holder is good to carry in those locations.

OkD

This line says it all. As I am to understand, in the State of Texas - to get the Concealed Handgun license, it is authorized by the law enforcement! Therefore, a CHL holder is good to carry in those locations.

OkD

I'm thinking these two lines capture it better:

"We will continue to comply with local laws. We hope that responsible patrons, like yourself, will honor this request."

They will "continue to comply" meaning that it concealed or open carry is legal, they won't bar anyone from coming in. But, they also imply that if you don't comply with their request, you are irresponsible.

I feel my own letter to Chipotle brewing right now. I'll likely post it here this evening.

My wife works for Starbucks which as we all know has a similar policy. They are instructed "not" to say anything, or do anything different, or treat anyone different if they do come in armed, because the policy is just a suggestion really. I don't really get bent out of shape when private businesses either ban guns, or in the case of Chipoltes or Starbucks ask us not to bring them in but don't outright ban them. Its their private business, so their rules. I conceal carry anyways so I carry in tons of places that say " no firearms". It's not against the law so they can only ask you to leave if you violate policy....and that's only if they see it.

I guess what I'm saying is, they don't bother me because the 2nd A and my right to have a firearm has nothing to do with the wishes of a private business, so basically I ignore them, do it anyways, making me disrespectful and irresponsible. ;)

This post was not meant to disagree with the guys that won't frequent those places, I totally respect that and all you guys.

My wife works for Starbucks which as we all know has a similar policy. They are instructed "not" to say anything, or do anything different, or treat anyone different if they do come in armed, because the policy is just a suggestion really. I don't really get bent out of shape when private businesses either ban guns, or in the case of Chipoltes or Starbucks ask us not to bring them in but don't outright ban them. Its their private business, so their rules. I conceal carry anyways so I carry in tons of places that say " no firearms". It's not against the law so they can only ask you to leave if you violate policy....and that's only if they see it.

I guess what I'm saying is, they don't bother me because the 2nd A and my right to have a firearm has nothing to do with the wishes of a private business, so basically I ignore them, do it anyways, making me disrespectful and irresponsible. ;)

This post was not meant to disagree with the guys that won't frequent those places, I totally respect that and all you guys.

The word for what you describe R.H.R. is discretion. A teacher of mine once told me, "sometimes discretion is the better part of valor", you can get away with more. Isn't this the purpose of carrying "concealed" anyway? ;)

I agree with your statement 100%

Yes discretion that's it. Thanks guys I was worried what I said would be misunderstood, but it looks like you know what I meant.

• 2 weeks later...

I have not been reading this forum for a while.

After reading this thread I had a thought.

Recently an owner of a bakery refused to bake a wedding cake for a gay couple's wedding. He was told by the court he could not refuse or discriminate to make a wedding cake for a couple just because it was a gay couple.

So if this is true by order of court how can any restaurant tell customers who carry concealed legally, they shouldn't carry in their business?

I know, the word is shouldn't and not CAN NOT.

Besides if a person carries concealed legally, who is going to know they are carrying?

If you are a legally concealed firearm carrier, (I hope you are if you ca), please do your part and make sure your are carrying concealed all the time you are in public.

Archived