SASS Wire Forum

Opting out of the banquet dinner

So y'all would be happy to make it optional...even at the expense of those that stay?

Some folk just don't have a choice.

Make'n folk 'buy-a-meal' when they can't enjoy what they're buy'n, ain't 'rite' either.

LG

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Make'n folk 'buy-a-meal' when they can't enjoy what they're buy'n, ain't 'rite' either.

LG

Of course...but there's no way to make the Banquet perfectly fair.

If there is...then I'd love to hear how...really.

Phantom

Of course...but there's no way to make the Banquet perfectly fair.

If there is...then I'd love to hear how...really.

Phantom

The only way I have seen it work and there is probably other ways is a deadline for people letting the MD know they will be attending the banquet. Now in some cases the venue has to be booked well in advance so that is not viable. I watched a local shoot give the option and the banquet numbers dropped year after year. But that just says at ( insert price here ) the majority of shooters did not like THAT banquet. Doesn't mean there aren't some great banquets out there.

Dinner should be optional. My wife doesn't shoot so I'm most often on the the road after the last stage to spend some time with Momma

Your choice. It was there for you.

Fair, is giving the shooter the choice.

Choice is good-No choice, is not.

LG

Well LG...we'll just have ta disagree on this one.

If a shoot needs a banquet...and trust me, some of 'em do...then there is no choice. Some will supplement others.

And again, I'm talking about those banquets that include the awards ceremony...

Cheers!

Phantom

LG

Why??

They signed up for the event. If that is part of the event.

Then it is on them if you don't go.

It was there for them to attend.

What many don't realize is that if the banquet is let up to choice,

there will be no choice.

Because there will be no banquet.

I would miss the opportunity that the dinner provides to visit with my pards from far away as well as near.

During the match, I don't usually get to visit very much as some evidently do. I haven't always gone to all the banquet, but having seen the work to organize and plan ahead many months, it is very difficult to find venues to have a good awards and or banquet. And they do need a guarantee.

Why??

They signed up for the event. If that is part of the event.

Then it is on them if you don't go.

It was there for them to attend.

My wife :wub: has serious food allergies(Soy, for one)and most melons, along with others. She can't even be around most sliced melons.

AA-Thanks for you insightful consideration to all that shoot SASS :rolleyes:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Phantom-Yup, we will have to agree to disagree here ;)

LG

Wonder if I buy ticket's for the super bowl but I don't want watch the

half time show. Or any of the presentation at the end.

Think they might sell me ticket's a little cheaper?

Use to go to the Rangers games on 4th of July. They did stuff before the game

and fireworks after.

I don't think the ones that left and did not want to watch got a break on there tickets.

Just saying.

You are buying the event. The whole thing. If you don't want to go. That is on you.

I think we have found a workable solution at the Western Regional. I mentioned it early on but I will again.

If you want/need to leave Saturday after the main match, one of our match directors will buy your dinner ticket back from you. Why? We always have some folks who show up "at the last minute", (like local friends or relatives of visiting shooters) that would like to have dinner with us. I don't think we ever have tickets left over. Of course this works for us because of the demand we have for our fine, professionally catered dinner. Also, we are within minutes of several small metropolitan areas. If we were out in the boonies, it might not work so well.

Fillmore

Well LG...we'll just have ta disagree on this one.

If a shoot needs a banquet...and trust me, some of 'em do...then there is no choice. Some will supplement others.

And again, I'm talking about those banquets that include the awards ceremony...

Cheers!

Phantom

Two Questions if you would be so kind.

Why would a shoot need a banquet ? Seriously I really don't know .

Are you ok with a opt out for a banquet that does not give out awards ?

Thanks

Two Questions if you would be so kind.

Why would a shoot need a banquet ? Seriously I really don't know .

Are you ok with a opt out for a banquet that does not give out awards ?

Thanks

Been to a whole lot of shoots that hold the so called dinner before the main match has been completed. Only thing that can be handed out then are side match scores and possibly awards if any given. Fri, Sat, and Sunday shoots often if not most times have Fri side matches and main match shooting on Sat and Sun with a dinner on Sat eve. If they have a dinner on Sun night most shooters would opt out to get home to work or whatever.

I prefer all inclusive. As I stated before, that fee for the Banquet covers more than just the food usually, and the Banquet is so much more than just the food.

I prefer all inclusive. As I stated before, that fee for the Banquet covers more than just the food usually, and the Banquet is so much more than just the food.

Well that makes sense if its part of the clubs fund raiser and they are making money off it . Some of the banquets I was referring to actually cost the club money so I didn't see the point of keeping those running .

If true, then yes, I agree. But many MDs are saying that the banquet costs them money. If so, then it's a "loss leader" and another option/solution should be worked out.

I don't ever want to see a club loose money.

EC

Hey Fillmore,

Any chance of having the awards done at the banquet? T'would be ideal :)

EC

Hi EC,

Ideal for you. ;)

I like their current set up just fine. It is also done that way at 5 Dogs. Both matches use my preferred match schedule. Day 1 side matches, Day 2-3 main match, Day 3 Banquet, Day 4 shoot off and awards.

Regards,

Allie

Hey Fillmore,

Any chance of having the awards done at the banquet? T'would be ideal :)

EC

Alas, I have been relegated to the position of emissary.

Fillmore

Yes! We would like the option of opting out of the banquet. After shooting all day, we prefer going back to the camper, relaxing, and grilling our own meal. We have attended shoots that include the banquet in the shooting fee and not used our banquet tickets. We are usually too tired after shooting all day to hurry home, get dressed up, and travel into town. Additionally, we like to eat earlier than 7:00, which is usually when they serve banquet dinners--that's when they run on time! And last, but certainly not least, we don't like leaving our little dog again in the evening after he's been alone all day. ;-) If we can find someone that needs a banquet ticket, we'll give it to them; otherwise, it's just an additional cost to us.

Choices are always better!

When I was in CA, the big dinner deal was not part of the awards...awards were done on Sunday...IIRC.

Here in TX, the big dinner deal is on Saturday coupled with the Awards...so it's kinda harder to skip the big dinner deal.

I'm not a big fan of separating...making the big dinner deal optional out in these parts. Pretty soon, we'll have to make a big long menu of events and charge based on the menu items each shooter checks off.

To me...a few extra bucks that goes towards the wonderful big dinner deal is just part of the cost of playing the game.

Cheers!

Phantom

Pretty much sums it up around here. The folks that don't make the banquet is extremely minimal from what I see

A lot of it depends on the match. At some I have gone out to eat after even paying the money.

If all meals were like this years Bayou Blast. Folks would be beating down the doors to eat.

Thanks Possum

A huge +1 to what Wyandot Jim said. Bayou Blast was great fun in the shooting alone but the included meals (lunches for both days as well as dinner banquet) were simply outstanding and then some. Dinner banquet was buffet style and if you couldn't find something there to eat you were on an 8 oz weird liquid shake diet.

Well going in to our 8th year RJ Law and I can tell you that if you have not had to plan and organize these events then it probably looks sway easier than you think. I will put our formal dinner/awards banquet at Wolverine Rangers Range War (SASS MI State Championship) up against anyones. We feed you, do our raffles and giveaways and awards and have you done in under 2 1/2 hours. We have to reserve the facility 11 months in advance. We also have to guarantee a specific number of plates, which means that if we guarantee 300 plates and only get 250 people we pay for those 50 plates anyway. We do listen to our shooters and our shooters have told us that they like the formal meal and banquet. For MANY of our shooter this is their BIG match of the year, and the banquet is an important part of it. One year I asked if folks would be interested in a at the range bbq type get together instead and I received death threats LOL. Do what works for your venue. For us the formal banquet works well.

Fair, is giving the shooter the choice.

Choice is good-No choice, is not.

LG

I agree with Lumpy to a point. But there are practical limits for choice some circumstances. At that point, "fair" goes out the window. (we all know that life ain't fair)

Like Duece Stevens and others have said, setting one of these up with the goal of "top shelf" is no simple task. Massive amounts of time go into these things (and should) because the ultimate goal is for the shooters to have lots of fun all the way around. Will there be hickups?- yes. Will there be learning curves for establishing an annual- yes. But to me there is no way on the planet that you can totally break this down practicality wise. If your annuals consist of 30-50 folks maybe you can have extreme choice with limited issues. Double, triple, quaddruple (or bigger) that amount and things are then not so simple.

Thumbs up to those who put the time in to have these fun things for us to do. ^_^

Well that makes sense if its part of the clubs fund raiser and they are making money off it . Some of the banquets I was referring to actually cost the club money so I didn't see the point of keeping those running .

A banquet might be a contractual obligation for a SASS sanctioned match.

I like choices personally. I have sent many a meal voucher down the trail without complaint because, it was my choice. That being said, I go to some shoots just for the supper, Defend the Roost just a week ago is one of those choices. The shooting was fantastic, the food was even better.

Then, there are other big shoots that don't offer a meal option. Am I gonna get BH because they don't, not one bit because I can choose not to go. There is always a trade off and a choice.

The question is, will the option affect the amount of shooters at a match? Yes and no. Many folks come to Chorro for the big banquet. Some are shooting on a shoestring and may want to cut corners so might opt out. It all balances out in the end.

Again folks, life is about choices.

Another vote for YES. I hate being forced to pay for a meal I don't want. After shooting all day I want a calm dinner and a drink. I don't want a lot of foolishness and a crappy meal. I am also not in favor of the best door prizes being given away at said dinner. But that is just me and Bea's opinion.

100% "DITTO" what Rolan just said!

Hi EC,

Ideal for you. ;)

I like their current set up just fine. It is also done that way at 5 Dogs. Both matches use my preferred match schedule. Day 1 side matches, Day 2-3 main match, Day 3 Banquet, Day 4 shoot off and awards.

Regards,

Allie

True enough Allie! Though even if I didn't have to get back to the station by 3pm, I'd still be leaving at the crack of dawn. I want to get back home and put everything away. ;)

Though last year at Chorro I noticed a pretty hefty line of RVs and trailers heading out the gate before 9am on Sunday. So they're missing the shoot-off AND the awards as well. And since Dar Dar will be going this year, I would say we're "in" for the banquet so she can experience it.

All that being said....you've talked me into the "optional banquet" camp. In fact, I'd be in for the all things optional....providing the club is making money on each option and not subsidizing one "option" at the expense of others. I've only shot one side match ever, and they charged extra for it. I liked that idea. I also tried shooting cowboy trap last year at Chorro, I signed up in time, but there were so many cowboys reshooting it before me that they ran out of time and I never had the chance.

EC

True enough Allie! Though even if I didn't have to get back to the station by 3pm, I'd still be leaving at the crack of dawn. I want to get back home and put everything away. ;)

Though last year at Chorro I noticed a pretty hefty line of RVs and trailers heading out the gate before 9am on Sunday. So they're missing the shoot-off AND the awards as well. And since Dar Dar will be going this year, I would say we're "in" for the banquet so she can experience it.

All that being said....you've talked me into the "optional banquet" camp. In fact, I'd be in for the all things optional....providing the club is making money on each option and not subsidizing one "option" at the expense of others. I've only shot one side match ever, and they charged extra for it. I liked that idea. I also tried shooting cowboy trap last year at Chorro, I signed up in time, but there were so many cowboys reshooting it before me that they ran out of time and I never had the chance.

EC

I'll talk to the powers that be about that.

Fillmore

As a Rebel I do things a bit different.

St Jude's charity match I checked "steak supper" and added the cost to the match fee. Got done shooting 3 hours before supper. Headed back to the bunkhouse to cleanup and rest a bit. Woke up too late for supper. :(

Folks as far as Special Food requirements , Why Not have a spot to State any REQUIRED modifications so that We can try and meet your needs.

Clubs that I shoot at are very good at meeting Special Needs in this area ...

Most meals are Worth the Money,,,,, But it seems that clubs that offer an opt-out on meals serve the best meals ...

Jabez Cowboy

Archived