SASS Wire Forum

A Night In Old Mexico

Skid Roper

I don't remember if this one's been discussed yet, but I just finished "A Night In Old Mexico" with Robert Duvall and written by Bill Whitbeck (Barbarosa, Lonesome Dove screenplay, etc...).

While not a traditional western (set in present day) a very good cowboy picture and highly recommended.

Plus I don't think Robert Duvall's ever made a bad picture.

Here's the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnHfrwTC7Uk

Some of My wildest times were in Old Mexico and things happen there that the average person would never beleave in a million years. Danced thousands of time with the Mexican women and fought with the Mexican men many times. the word"Watch your back" takes on a real meaning down that way.

As a young man at the time I found the Hispanic ladies interesting when You went in a cantino and soon one would come sit next to you and ask You to buy her a drink. And in due time she would place her arm around your waist and right away find You were carrying a 45 under your shirt. Things would take a different direction as now she would take the position that she was Your Woman and start to tell You who to watch out far and that she was next to you to back you up if trouble started. This happen many a time with someone You had just met. Also she would make it clean to the other women You were Her Hombre and they best keep away.

Out of respect to ladies and mild men who may read this I would never go into details about things I witnessed there and things that I saw happen. But I can say witghout dought that the Mexican way of life is very colorful and as a general rule most live a poor but happy life and once you become their griend You could not ask for a better friend. In Mexico, Family is of the upmost importance and the older kin know the younger ones will be there when they need help.

I am very lucky to have lived and know the way of life South of the Border as a young Texas Man. When I visit today there is little change in many ways. I often give the hell and they returned it right back to me and likewise others were very dear friends as well and I enjoyed their trust and friendship as well. I am looking farward to watching the new movie.

Texas Man

...and written by Bill Whitbeck (Barbarosa, Lonesome Dove screenplay, etc...).

Bill Whitliff, rather.

Bill Whitbeck is in Robert Earl Keen's band.

And Texas Man: Your stories are always the best. Look forward to seein' your posts.

I rented the movie yesterday on iTunes. The only down side is that the script is formulaic and predictable. The dialogue sounded like a cross between a Hallmark TV special and "True Grit".

Other than that...

The female lead is totally gorgeous! :wub:

A bad guy is redeemed into a good guy.

The rest of the really bad guys lose.

The good guys win.

Family is a strong theme.

And Robert Duvall does an absolutely fantastic job doing what he does best!

The movie is a great way to put your brain in neutral and enjoy a good Western-style story for two hours, and I highly recommend it to the SASS pards.

watched last night--very interesting and enjoyable

Archived