SASS Wire Forum

Ruger barrel length on NV

Dungannon Gunner

Which do your prefer and why? I am considering a new set of NVs and would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,

DG

5 1/2" offers good balance with a good sight radius. If you are only shooting fast and close, the sub 5" barrels are OK. If you have to shoot at targets a little farther out, that extra distance between the front and rear site can make a difference.

Fillmore

Borrow and shoot one of each. I shoot Old Model Vaqueros, one 7-1/2" and one 5-1/2". Each has their merits, depending on the circumstances. Asking for advice on barrel length is like asking which is more comfortable...boxer's or briefs? ;)

For Cowboy Action Shooting, barrel length has little to do with how well they shoot.

The differences are weight (slight) and feel in your hand (balance). It is really what you feel not what others do. Shorter barrels are a little easier to come in and out of the holster.

I have both, but prefer the 4 5/8" barrels.

Try both before you buy.

Longer barrels make for less muzzle flip, especially for those of us who shoot the bigger calibers. My 5 1/2" 32-20s barely move when fired.

Don't count out the shorter 3 1/2" barrel length such as the Montado or Sheriff's models. My favorite pistols (right now) are a pair of 45 Colt Vaquero Sheriff's. Those short barrels make them feel very light and quick.

Best advice is for you to handle whatever sizes you're thinking about. See if you can shoot each. I have both and prefer the 5 1/2 just for the balance.

Barry Sloe

Balance and feel are also dependent on caliber. The .45 NMV feels different than a .38. Handle them and pick what feels good to YOU. With most SASS pistol targets set at 6 or 7 yards the 3/4" difference in barrel length won't make much difference.

I had a pair of Colt clones with 51/2 " barrels and now shoot a pair of OMV in .38spcl with the shorter barrels. It was a used pair so I did not have a choice as far as the barrel length. If I would have had a choice I would have went with the longer barrel. But the shorter ones shoot where I point them. Besides I can miss just as well with either length . Try both and see which feels better to you.

Sgt H :FlagAm:

Archived