SASS Wire Forum

I'm going to take a shot at wild turkey hunting this Fall - first time. If it's reasonably possible, can I get by with one of the shotguns I already have (all 12 ga.), until I determine if this is something I want to do more regularly? The choices are my CZ Cowboy SXS (20" barrels are probably short, but it's the only gun I have with screw-in chokes), a Browning Citori Hunter O/U (Modified and Improved Cylinder), and an 1897 Winchester (Cylinder, I think; uncut).

My inclination to get some camo tape and wrap the Winchester, and try it. Any thoughts from real turkey hunters?

Gracias!

LL

12 ga, I like modified but I believe in getting them close, under 30 yards. Over that use a full choke. I like #6 shot in a 3" shell.

Limit your calling and be very very patient.

With that shorty I'd let em get within about 20 feet!. The 97 might be your best bet if it's uncut. Or maybe you could borrow a proper gun?

I just run up and whack em with my coup stick. They hate that.

Safety tip: Don't try it with bears!

Sounds like a good excuse to buy a new gun. Or, buy new full and extra full screw in's for the Citori.

20" barrels are fine for turkeys, it's the choke that matters. Remington used to sell an 870 turkey specific shotgun with a turkey (extra full) choke and 20" barrel. I'd recommend 2 3/4" buffered #5 shot for turkeys out to 40 yards with that short of a boom stick. You'd want the longer shells if you had a dedicated turkey shotgun.

I've taken about 20+ wild turkeys with an Ithaca 200E in 20 ga. Barrels are 25" and choked Mod and IC.

I've used the IC barrel twice. Once the bird was about 5 yards when the shot developed and the other was less than 6 feet.

On the short one, I had called a couple of times then went to sleep. When the jake realized that he had screwed up, he putted which woke me. A quick swing and one dead bird.

I know a fellow who's not into CAS but an avid turkey hunter and he uses a 12-gauge Stoeger Coach gun. Yep, the ones many use in CAS. He says the shorter barrels are just the ticket in the thick woods around here.

20" barrels are fine for turkeys, it's the choke that matters. Remington used to sell an 870 turkey specific shotgun with a turkey (extra full) choke and 20" barrel. I'd recommend 2 3/4" buffered #5 shot for turkeys out to 40 yards with that short of a boom stick. You'd want the longer shells if you had a dedicated turkey shotgun.

Ha! That's the ticket! My CZ came with a selection of screw-in chokes, including Full. Now to learn to call.......

LL

Get a special turkey choke it'll keep your pattern tighter. I prefer #4 shot but lots of experts seem to think #5 or 6 is better - 3" if your gun will handle it. Calling work on the kee kee run and lost call - I prefer the diaphram calls cause it keeps my hands free. Two things I use that are valuable is a butt pad and a bladder drinking system to keep my mouth from drying and almost hands free.

Sounds like a good excuse to buy a new gun. Or, buy new full and extra full screw in's for the Citori.

+1

Archived