SASS Wire Forum

Weighing cast bullets for long range shooting

Haole

A question for long range shooters:

From my days shooting scoped, bolt action rifles for accuracy, I learned to weigh cases and bullets and shoot similar weights in the same string of shots.

How necessary is that with black powder rifles. Im shooting a Winchester 1895 clone in 45-70 and a Sharps clone in 45-120. The bullets I find (all well cast from reliable sources) vary in weight by about 10 grains.

Im grouping those bullets in half grain increments. Am I on the right track, or am I being a bit too annul with all this?

Haole

The difference in weight can be the bullets themselves. Sorting can help

But it can also be the amount of lube variation on the bullet which will not effect the shot due to bp soft lubes being left behind in the barrel or at exit.

I sort bullets by weight and am resonably carefull about loads and loading,but I am not a serious long range shooter. The serious ones are on BPCR forums, and they are picky.

How necessary is that with black powder rifles.

At 1000yds, 1-2grs variance will vary POI about 4 MOA

Keep the bullets in 0 to 0.5gr variance for better accuracy at mid and long range distances

Thanks guys. I'll keep sorting and weighing.

Haole

At 1000yds, 1-2grs variance will vary POI about 4 MOA

Keep the bullets in 0 to 0.5gr variance for better accuracy at mid and long range distances

Really?? At 1,000 yards. 4 moa is approximately 40 inches. I sometimes shoot 1,000 yard buffalo matches using swaged BACO bullets which are usually +/- 5 grains. Generally, I do OK with them.

When I cast my own, I group them in batches of +/- 0.5 grains but I don't index them.

If the wind is squirrely, it does not matter what you are shooting. Each shot is a new adventure.

Archived