SASS Wire Forum

Best Timer for practice?

Mad Dog McGee

Which timer is best for home range practice ? Price , ease of use , quality?

Thanks in advance! MDM

And a timer that allows the setting of a par time - buzzer sounds, then sounds again in X.X seconds interval. Only way to dry fire and know what is happening with your times, since no timer picks up hammer clicks.

Good luck, GJ

iPhone app "Shot Timer"

What model iphone are you using that app with?

I downloaded it this afternoon and fired off 10, 44 specials over the porch railing, with the phone sitting right on the rail under the muzzle. It didn't pick up a single shot :-(

I have Shot Timer as well, and it works great for me. I can even just clap and it picks it up. It's SureFire ShotTimer v1.6, and I'm running it on an iPhone 5. I'm 99% sure I ran it on my iPhone 4, but don't quote me on that. I DEFINITELY can't remember what I paid for it, but I'm about 73% sure it was free.

I've only seen it not pick up once, and I doubt the rounds were SASS legal. The phrase "mouse farts" comes to mind... :lol:

I downloaded it this afternoon and fired off 10, 44 specials over the porch railing, with the phone sitting right on the rail under the muzzle. It didn't pick up a single shot :-(

I tried Innovative Applications Free Shot Timer on an iPhone 5s & had similar results. I adjusted the sensetivity back & forth with no luck.

On edit: I normally have my phone in a Magpul case, but I did try it without in case there was any interference.

I use IPSC Shot Timer, it's free on my Android and works very well, even when dry firing.

I haven't had much luck with the phone app timers either. The surefire version is the only one that came close. When I try and use the phone timers I have a hard time manipulating the phone and transitioning to guns. Surefire won't pick up anything less than 1 second either. Normally 1 second is plenty, but I use my timer for work too, and there are some 1/2 second drills I need to time.

I have had great luck with a competition electronics pocket pro timer, it's not cheap, but not too expensive in mind mind since I use it a lot. As previously mentioned:

BIG numbers, not huge, but I can see them easily without my reading glasses. I also found some pretty cheap safety glasses that have reading lense cheaters on the bottoms. This helps a lot. I don't use them to look at the sights when shooting, but they work great when your handling a gun or something up close. Mine cost a whopping $8 bucks.

Buzzer not a beep so my shooting damaged ears can hear it

Par set with random start so you can't anticipate

Belt clip, easily attaches to your rig so once it's set all you have to do is touch the start button. I us mine solo all of the time. No need to have a friend run the timer.

Auto power shut off. I just put mine in my gear bag when I'm done shooting and it turns itself off after so much inactivity. My 9 volt battery is still going strong after about 3 years.

There may be different models with different features that might better fit your needs, but I have been more than satisfied with my competitions electronics pocket pro.

Howdy,

I also have a competitive edge. The ced7000. A while back I posted a Question here if anyone new of a timer that beeps and flashes a light and this is the only one I found. You have to make your own light but it's not hard to make. T.O. holds it just above or below eye level and about 10 inches to the front and you will see the light flash. It's great and you have the same start signal every one who can hear the timer does.. It's loaded with function features including memory storage up to 10 runs, custom par, illuminated lcd display showing total time ,splits, shot number, par, and 1st shot time. month and date, silent operation, R.O. mode spy mode ,stop watch, Countdown mode alarm clock, on and on, list just keep going. Got this from Brownells or you can check them out direct at (610)366-9752 or info@CEDhk.com I don't practice a lot but I think this timer would do as well or better than most for practice

Howdy Pardner

Competition Electronics

Rance ;)

Just my thinkin'

Edit: Also has random start so you can't anticipate it as well..

Yep, this is the brand I used when dryfiring and practicing for GF speed runs. Large display, par time w/random start, and loud buzzer (I'm basically deaf but could pick up the buzzer on this brand).

Now I use it for SG practice.

and the single 9-volt battery last a LONG time.

..........Widder

Go into settings and adjust the volume.

I've looked into this and there are several. Some free and some at a price. Is one better than the others? Which one do you have Matthew?

"Shot Timer"

Go into settings and adjust the volume.

So... To everyone wondering about iPhone timers...

It turns out you need headphones plugged in.

Works like a champ that way. Apparently "shot timer" isn't supposed to work without them.

So, since I have a set of iPhone compatible skull candy headphones with a microphone, I gave it another try tonight and shot the pistols a bit. The skull candy headphones make good earplugs.

Aaaand, my transitions are horrible.

Archived