SASS Wire Forum

Confederate Battle Shirts

I think I posted this question years ago, but didn't save the answers. I have also "googled" it to death.

Do any of y'all know people/small companies that make the confederate battle shirts, like the ones that were worn by Quantrill's raiders? If you do, I would be forever in your debt.

Imortant to note why the overshirt was worn...

Warning....brief, oversimplified history lesson follows...

Notice in both pictures that these guys are wearing shirts under their overshirt...

Back in the day....the standard shirt was considered your underwear. it was not considered appropriate to be exposed in your shirt to the general public. That is why you see all the folks wearing a vest of coat and never in their shirt sleeves.

Men may be in their shirtsleeves while they worked, however, as soon as they ventured out into public they at least put on a vest.

These overshirts did the same thing. Most homemade designs were made of a simular pattern to the shirt that they were wearing. However, you will see variations in necklines, additions of pockets, and other decoration. Although, even the design of the shirts made at home was being changed as influence from France and the adaptation of the sewing machine.

Yep. Like I said though, I have long since known about these companies. Does anyone know of people who might make them as a side business of sorts? There was someone who sent me pictures way back when of some of his/her work, but for the life of me, I cannot remember who. I was especially inerested in that person's product line, as they made replicas of the batle shirts worn in "Ride With The Devil." Oh well, that's what I get for not saving stuff...

I used to ride with an 1800's themed horseman's charity group an one of my uniforms was straight out of "Ride with the Devil".

I made my Battle Shirt from an old bib-style shirt. Cut it wide at the neck and disposed of the bib. Sewed on some big pocket with the trimmed edges.

I used to wear it over a Camp Harris checked shirt.

http://www.blockaderunner.com/Catalog/catpg15.htm

Branchwater Jack;

I really like the ones made by the company in your second link. Thank You. Gonna have to get me one of their Guerilla Shirts.

I used to ride with an 1800's themed horseman's charity group an one of my uniforms was straight out of "Ride with the Devil".

I made my Battle Shirt from an old bib-style shirt. Cut it wide at the neck and disposed of the bib. Sewed on some big pocket with the trimmed edges.

I used to wear it over a Camp Harris checked shirt.

http://www.blockaderunner.com/Catalog/catpg15.htm

Branchwater Jack;

I really like the ones made by the company in your second link. Thank You. Gonna have to get me one of their Guerilla Shirts.

AG, you just gave me a great idea. Thanks, pard!

And, if you wanted to make your own from scratch, there are several pajama patterns that would work well. Just look for one with a three button placket.

You can just not sew in the placket, add pockets, and there you go.

Most of those patterns are made of a simple square cut which would be in line with the cut of that time.

Archived