SASS Wire Forum

Vacaro firing pin modification

Jess Money

While working the loading I saw a neat setup last Saturday. A shooter was loading a Vacaro that had a stud attached to the hammer face of a SBH. The stud made contact with the frame mounted firing pin and the transfer bar had been eliminated. He also had a half cock notch added to the hammer and trigger. I asked who performed the work and now I forget who he said. Anyone know who does this modification?

I would have thought you'd seen those already.

Me, Galvez, Big Daddy, for sure and probably others have actions like this.

My original set was done by Wes Flowers in Arizona, 12 years ago and still shooting them.

My new ones were done by Lasiter and they are excellent.

If you haven't had good action work done, I would highly recommend it.

LS

Thanks, Logan. I just started shooting Vacaro's and never paid much attention to those before. I was aware of the loading gate free spin and some of the ones that had the half cock notches but not the hammer stud. I've been wanting to get rid of the transfer bar since I've had the guns and that looks like the way to go. Since these are for CAS and not my CC piece, the "sixth-round-safely" is not a major concern.

Widowmaker, it wasn't Jason, I'd have remembered had it been Slick's name. But thank you sir, that's good to know he does the mod also

This type of mod is done all the time. It just has to also be done with the half-cock notch mod. If the half-cock notch is not added, you have created an unsafe gun as the only way to load or unload it is to manually hold the hammer back while loading or unloading.

Most smiths add weld to the hammer face and machine it to shape. There are quite a few who do this. I've owned guns done by Lassiter and Jimmy Spurs. Both are excellent at what they do.

Outlaw grips from the Tucson Az area does that mod as well

Jimmy Spurs Cowboy Gun Works

Thanks for your input, too, pards!

This type of mod is done all the time. It just has to also be done with the half-cock notch mod. If the half-cock notch is not added, you have created an unsafe gun as the only way to load or unload it is to manually hold the hammer back while loading or unloading.

Thank you, Larsen. Certainly makes sense when you think about it. Looks like the price of modifications can get "serious and serious-er".

Did you mean a Ruger Vaquero

I was wondering just how long it would take before someone posted something to that effect.... LOL

BTW, what the heck is a Vacaro? LOL

Hey, Augustus! I did a Google search on vacaro and the only one that made any sense was Brenda.

I gotta watch my spelling a whole lot closer from now on! LOL!

Hey, Augustus! I did a Google search on vacaro and the only one that made any sense was Brenda.

I gotta watch my spelling a whole lot closer from now on! LOL!

No problem, I'm not a spelling Nazi, just having some fun with brother Bill....

She's scarier than the firearm!!! LOL

Archived