SASS Wire Forum

(shakes head in disbelief)

Subdeacon Joe

When asked a question like that (be honest now) do you think of when hostilities actually started between SOMEONE, or when we (the US) got in on it?

I believe that WW2 started in September of 39, when Germany invaded Poland. But if someone, out of the blue, asked me when it started, I'd probably say December of 41,when WE got in on it.

So - when did WW1 start? 1917. :P

Mein gott.

And Belgium played a heroic role in the war, punching way above their weight, and suffering an incredible amount of devastation. Sad, Western Civilization is no longer proud of their heritage.

And wasn't "D-day", dee day before yesterday? :unsure: Well, maybe there will be one kid with some sense of history...my 7+ grandchild, who will be travelling with us to Philadelphia and environs to see the Liberty Bell and Betsy Ross' house, at the child's request! (Of course there will be a side trip to Hershey, PA, for some chocolate. Gettysburg, too, if we can squeeze it in while our son-in-law has enough vacation time. Ya gotta get 'em early! Unfortunately, most parents nowadays have no sense of history themselves. So they can't impart it to their kids. I thought the "History Channel" would really come up with some history, but about the only thing that comes through is "Pawn Stars" and "American Pickers". Of course, every once in awhile, "The Old Man" on Pawn Stars comes up with an explanation for Chumlee. :wacko:

Unfortunately, most parents nowadays have no sense of history themselves. So they can't impart it to their kids.

Alas, that's the sad truth. :(

And one wonders why they continue to ask questions of beauty pageant contestants. Oy!

That one just made my brain hurt!

When asked a question like that (be honest now) do you think of when hostilities actually started between SOMEONE, or when we (the US) got in on it?

I believe that WW2 started in September of 39, when Germany invaded Poland. But if someone, out of the blue, asked me when it started, I'd probably say December of 41,when WE got in on it.

So - when did WW1 start? 1917. :P

I always think 1939. I've heard some assert it began in 1937 with the beginning of the Japanese invasion of China. I had a history professor who was of the opinion that WWI and WWII were the same conflict, with the combatants taking a pause to catch their collective breath before resuming hostilities to finish fighting over unresolved matters.

So according to your professor's logic the Revolution and the War of 1812 were the same war? England just took a tea-break?

Interesting analogy, and not a bad one, at that.

My professor wasn't the only person to ever say that. Remember, the end of WWI and things such as the French need to be overly punitive toward Germany, and Germany's sense of indignation at the "Guilt Clause" of the Treaty of Versailles, among many other things, left WWII to be a foregone conclusion in the minds of many. At the time of the treaty, Ferdinand Foch stated "this is not a peace, it is an armistice for twenty years." He made that statement in 1919. I don't believe he could have been any more prescient. The way in which the war ended and the treatment of Germany made WWII all but inevitable.

By comparison, the War of 1812 was partially due to unresolved issues from the Revolution, but was also due to England's treatment of the U.S. after the war, including trade restrictions and impressment of U.S. sailors. Also, the U.S. wanted to annex portions of Canada that we believed were denied us after the Revolution. If I recall, the U.S. declared war for these reasons, as well as the belief that England's ability to wage war would be hampered by the Napoleonic Wars on the continent. Unlike WWII, continued hostile actions on the part of England, among other things, caused the U.S. to declare war.

Could both wars have been prevented? Yes. But the manner in which one led to another is quite different.

And wasn't "D-day", dee day before yesterday? :unsure: Well, maybe there will be one kid with some sense of history...my 7+ grandchild, who will be travelling with us to Philadelphia and environs to see the Liberty Bell and Betsy Ross' house, at the child's request! (Of course there will be a side trip to Hershey, PA, for some chocolate. Gettysburg, too, if we can squeeze it in while our son-in-law has enough vacation time. Ya gotta get 'em early!

On your way to Hershey from Philadelphia, consider stopping at Valley Forge National Historic Park, the location of Washington's encampment during the winter of 1776. It's literally right on the way. Lots more REAL history there than at Betsy's Ross's house.

On your way to Hershey from Philadelphia, consider stopping at Valley Forge National Historic Park, the location of Washington's encampment during the winter of 1776. It's literally right on the way. Lots more REAL history there than at Betsy's Ross's house.

Much obliged! There is of course the question whether "Betsy Ross" even existed. But at least the kid is interested enough to want to see historical things.

Archived