SASS Wire Forum

What your alias coulda been?

Carlos Murphy # 873

I wanted just "Irish" but it was taken. So I chose "Papa Irish" all my grand kids call me papa.

BTW there are a lot of good and clever alias out there, but I like Fillmore Coffins a lot :)

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My wife is a cross-dominant shooter (right hand/left eye) and after her first match, when she forgot which eye to use and shot up the bushes around the rifle targets, people suggested she change from Cherokee Arnett to Cherokee Wrong-eye.

I couldn't come up with an alias, so I started looking at names of my ancestors. On my fathers side, we have book about family history with names like deadeye, Birdeye, Ram Jerry, Long Jerry, etc. the Best one was Danger Nick Combs, also known as Nick the Tory. Then I thought of Bad Jeemes Kelly, my great, great, grandfather (maybe one more great) on my mother's side, from Pike County Kentucky. My grandmother used to tell us stories about his Gunfights/killings and he was about a the closest thing to a gunfighting outlaw in the family (he may have killed a sheriff who was an ancestor on my father's side) and I have a book with a couple of stories about him, so I settled on that. Nick the Tory just wasn't "period correct".

There's a local rancher by the name of William Hauwawaikaleoonamanuonakanahele Johnson Paris, Jr. simply called Billy Paris or Uncle Billy Paris who was born in 1922. His father, Billy Paris, Sr. lived during the cowboy era.

In their honor I was going to call myself "The Hauwawaikaleoonamanuonakanahele Kid."

In Hawaiian, Hauwawaikaleoonamanuonakanahele means "the noise of the birds as they sing in the forest."

I might adjust the Hawaiian name a bit to mean "the noise of my Colts as they sing in the forest."

Haole

For me, it was between "Rolan Kraps" and "Bat Guano"

I wanted Bat Lash, a comic book character, so I paid my $$ to SASS to change it from Kid Tucson to Bat Lash. When all my "so called pards" start calling me Bat Guano!!! :lol: I quickly changed it to Rye Miles, a real Arizona Ranger.

Rye :ph34r:

A long time ago I started out with "Tipperary' for the County in Ireland. After awhile I got tired of being called "Temporary" and "Tuipperware" so I changed it.

The O'Meara himself

Howdy......

I wanted High Plains Drifter.

Well... it was taken. I live in the foothills of Eastern San Diego County (Lakeside)

So I got 'Foothills Drifter' in 1999.

I was also thinkin' 'bout "Long Haired Bearded Weirdo"

If ya ever saw me you would why......

Vern / Foothills Drifter...

Warren Sear

I kept a list for years, when I worked on weekend match days. Among my faves are:

Roger Wilco

Nordo (USAF short hand for "no radio")

Clue Bird

Martin Baker (makers of ejection seats)

Running Ball

Chief Boyardee

Goncalo Alves

Blaze Pascal

I got a million of 'em. Try the veal.

My Mom was a descendant of the McCoy family from the Hatfield and McCoy feud. I started to choose Cottonmouth McCoy. Thought it was cool.

Rebel

My first pick was Lefty Gringo. Chose Southpaw Gringo because my local club already had a Left Vaquero and Lefty Eastman. "Gringo" was added because my wife is from Mexico and that what I'm called when I visit down there. ...

My first name was going to be "Windy" Bowles but wife and daughter told me that they thought I could do better.

I see folks is splainen their aliases sos I guess I should to.

My first name is Charles hence Carlos, blond hair and blue eyes for Murphy.

Besides, I ain't never seen no fat gunslingers but have seen a few chubby Mexican bandits.

And oh yeah, there is a restaurant in N. California by the name of CARLOS MURPHY's, at least there was 20 years ago, I've been a SASS member since 89.

My current alias came from the fact that my wife's family is from the Gateway CO area and of the daughters in her family I am the youngest husband. I was the "Kid" long before SASS :D

Seems to have grown on me so not gonna give it up, more people know me by "Gateway" than my real name :lol:

Other alias's I had in mind were "Uruvan Ray" (site of a local uranium mine)

Paradox Phil (location of numerous UFO sightings)

Tough Tommy Two Rivers (Grand Junction is where the Colorado and Gunnison river meet) possibly shortened to T3R

Old Man - What my pard Dominguez Red calls me anyway and probably already taken :P

There were a couple others but I am most comfortable with Gateway Kid :):)

Regards

Gateway Kid

Howdy!

Briefly contemplated "Sierra Nevada Maria" with the last name pronounced as in the song "They Call the Wind Maria" from the musical "Paint your Wagon". (I lived in Northern California for awhile.) Eventually figured:

1. Nobody would pronounce it right, and 2. it would limit the characters I could portray (the alias I eventually settled on was more gender neutral; very handy online, I might add.)

Guest Tascosa Kid #90830

Tascosa, Tell us about the gun fight in old Tascosa! Knew that a gunfighter from there was hired as Amarillo's first sheriff. Thanks, Tascosa kid

I was going to go with Kaneohe Kid. But nobody could pronounce it. (Connie-oh-ee).

I get called Turd Herder a lot. I manage wastetreatment facilities, have been around them since I was 19. Now I'm The Trail Boss of the Turd Herders. It's a crappy job folks but somebody's gotta doo it! :D

I had two. Bolliver T. Shagnasty from a Red Skelton character and Seth Roseberry my great grandfather who used to ride shotgun on a stage coach around Alton, IL and later was constable of Pana, IL.

I could have used Robert E. Lee.That was my dads real name.I checked and is was not taken then.

A long time ago I started out with "Tipperary' for the County in Ireland. After awhile I got tired of being called "Temporary" and "Tuipperware" so I changed it.

The O'Meara himself

And do you have any family connections to Tipperary?

EC

After I signed up I wanted to change my name to Yukon Kornelius but shortly after I see someone picked it up.

My dads middle and last names were Merwin Hulbert. Kinda wish I could have used them.

Justin Oldfart.

Actually, I was The Brass Dragon for something less than a day.

Seemed like a good idea at the time, but I came to my senses and drove down to Yorba Linda and got it changed back the next morning.

At the moment I'm the absolute newest member of SASS (I just signed up) so I have my still crisp list of names that could have been if "Whiskey" Burns had been taken.

Jack Sorbetter (because I like poker)

Marshall Willy Ketchum

Wes Texas

Deputy Dew Wright

I considered using my Great, Great, Great Grandfather's name (Texas Ranger who fought at the Battle of San Jacinto and was killed by Comanches) but there is a cartoon character these days that shares his name and it would send the wrong message.

Archived