SASS Wire Forum

John Wayne's cap-and-ball "buscadero" rig, Red River

Jed Irons

Whilst perusing a review of Criterion's newly released edition of "Red River," I saw two screenshots which highlighted an interesting and unusual piece of leather: a buscadero rig for a cap-and-ball revolver. Why they didn't just use a regular holster over a regular belt is beyond me, since this had to be specially created and made. Anyhow, I can't wait to pick up this Blu-Ray/DVD combo, as it comes with an extended version of the film and a ton of special features!

Here are the two screenshots I mentioned (they're large!):

9917_3_1080p.jpg

9917_22_1080p.jpg

I can't really answer the initial question...I would guess that the holster might have been the type that a mounted soldier would might attache to the saddle - then converted it post war for hip carry.

Regardless - Red River is one of many favorites in my John Wayne collection. Been some time since I saw it.

I have so many movies that it's hard to remember what I do have. Have you found a movie you want to add, buy it and take it home only to find that you have it already. Red River is one of those...I have both the 133 minute and the 113 minute versions. I'd have to see them back to back to tell you which sceens are in one and not the other.

Archived