SASS Wire Forum

NO, DON'T SAY IT !

Carlos Murphy # 873

In TV talk, "iconic".

Suddenly, everything dealing with a 5 year old fad is "iconic".

An icon is an object of uncritical devotion, usually associated with religious belief.

Kim Kardashian is not an icon; neither is Lady Gaga, Justin Bieber or any of Madonna's various fashion "looks".

LL

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AWESOME!!!

It seems lately if you are talking to someone under 30 and they ask you a question and you answer, their response is universally AWESOME!!! (How's your burger? It's OK. AWESOME!!!)

AWESOME!!!

It seems lately if you are talking to someone under 30 and they ask you a question and you answer, their response is universally AWESOME!!! (How's your burger? It's OK. AWESOME!!!)

I hate this term as well.

I was at Trader Joe's on my day off one day (a Thursday) and was making a purchase. The checker asked if I was retired. I said "No. It's my day off." He replied with......."AWESOME." I corrected him. I told him that having the day off is....nice...cool....well deserved, but not awesome. I said that "awesome" would be finding a cure for cancer. Putting someone on Mars. Replicating human DNA to eliminate all viruses. Cutting government spending.

I think that puzzled look is now permanently affixed to his face.

EC

Fantastic

Ya know.

Anything Obama.

Common sense gun control laws.

Organic

Old school.

How is that tasting?

Hero is way over used now days, to some people the mail man is a hero because he brings your welfare check.

I was standing in a concession line and eavesdropped on a conversation a teenage girl was having with another. Well, it wasn't a real conversation as a story the girl was telling. It was all, "Like..." and "totally" and "Duh..." and "like he went Duh and she went like totally, then i said Duh." She augmented with hand waving and gestures. She went on for a good bit and never made a complete sentence or included any meaningful information to give me a clue as to what she was talking about. EeeeeGads!

Let me give you the 411 on that( What's wrong with the word Information )

Vintage ( anything over thirty years old) according to the younger people

Can't believe no one has mentioned these 2 yet:

Really?!?

Yes, really, dumba$$ or I would not have just wasted breath saying it.

Seriously?

See above comment.

Waimea

:FlagAm:

"the fact of the matter" is usually said directly in advance of a politician lying. Also the more times said in a passage, the bigger the lie.

"Another day in paradise"...

I'm in construction and that phrase makes you want to look for a tall bridge.... :P:lol:

When I'm in a meeting at work and they are talking about a data conversion for some new banking application and they need a few more programmers and some over paid Yahoo says - "Well we'll need more boots on the ground for this project."

I just want to scoop that moron up and ship him to some war zone.

You ever notice most of the civilians who use this term also never served. I know I am sterotyping, but when I hear the term used, it is usually by someone who rarely leaves the golf course and wouldn't know how to load a rifle. <end rant>

There is no "cloud" - it's on a server somewhere - Don't try to change me to "cloud" based anything.

Yeah. Usually it means "it's on a server we're renting space on, so we don't have any control over it. And it might end up on a different server next week if we get a better deal, so you might not be able to get to it while we move everything over."

Yes, everyone knows it's "doh" (and I don't even watch the Simpsons). ;)

I hope that was funny.... :unsure:

(Sparky puts on his pedant's glasses.)

"Duh" is taken from Valley Speak, the dialect of English spoken by Valley Girls in the 1980s. "Well, duh!" was an emphatic, sarcastic indication of the obviousness of a previous statement.

"That Sparky is such a dweeb!" "Well, duh!"

"Doh" (or "D'oh") is an exclamation of annoyance, pain, frustration, or embarrassment, first and frequently used by Homer Simpson.

"Woohoo! Clean stage!" "Sparky, those are traffic signs. The targets for this stage are over here." "D'oh!"

some of you guys are FUNNY

I like emails and texts because I am starting to have a harder time hearing and I do have nerve damage in both ears.

I use the term or when I hear it "it is what it is" I will fallow up with "what the F*** do you want me to do about it"

I also say quit a few of the ones posted usaly with a tone of sarcasm when I say them

All you have to do is start making fun of those people ( ya I am men spirited when it comes to most of the people everbody is talking about

AND...when you 'thank' someone as a nice questure of showing your appreciation for their service, they reply...."No Problem".

I hate that phrase.

Does that mean if it was a problem they wouldn't have done it?

Oh Yea, and another word people use that cracks me up.....'Irregardless'. (pronounced: Erie Guardless).

..........Widder

I usually say that because I'm uncomfortable with how profusely i'm being thanked. I'm kind of an introvert in real life.

And you need a T in that word. IregarTless. I must be a jerk, because I use that all the time on purpose just for fun. Kinda like when i always axe people a question.

"To make a long story short..." Why is it always the opposite???

Interrupt them with TOO LATE. Because 99% of the time, by the time they utter those words, it is indeed too late.

The only figure of speech that really bothers me is constantly pausing a story with "Know what I mean", or "Are ya with me so far", etc.... And the worst part is, I do it too. I can't figure out how to stop, because when I say it, I really am trying to make sure the person I'm talking to is following along. But it still grates on me a little when I hear it.

When someone agrees with you and they say, Right??? (huh) :wacko:

Great post! I hate 'kicking goals', '24/7' , 'This underpins that' , 'at the end of the day' , ' u get what you pay for' , 'it's in the mail' and 'get over it - build a bridge'

During the invasion of Kuwait,1990, I heard a phrase that made me want to punch any member of the news media in the nose.

"EMBEDDED REPORTER"

I actually heard a talking head on the evening news one night say.....

"And now to our embedded traffic reporter", made me yell at my TV.

"Have a good one." Good one of what I've never figured out.

My sometimes response to that: I've already got a good one. I just don't get to use it very often.

Archived