SASS Wire Forum

Winchester '97 - Breakdown vs Solid Frame

Stainless steel

For CAS is one better than the other for longevity given the abuse they go through? And for the SxS folks who will undoubtedly respond neither :lol: ...I would like to hear from the pards you use the '97 extensively...

Generally, no real difference.

In general the solid frame gun is a little lighter so some like that. Plus it is jst a little shorter since it doesn't have the takedown feature. It is also easier to change a barrel on a solid frame.

But the takedown is easier to thoroughly clean since it can be taken down - but we don't generally need to do that.

There is more of a difference between individual guns and the hardness of the steel. Some are harder and thus last longer.

I've found the modern imports have a little better steel so they have lasted longer for me personally. I work out two original 97s - of course someone else helped out before I owned them. :D

I haven't worn out any of my Norinco, IAC or TTN 97s yet - and I've been shooting two Norinco's for over 10 years with only replacing a spring or two and the right shell extractor.

My solid frame Winchester 97 holds 6 shells.....barely. The take down models will hold 5 and the follower and/or spring have to be modified slightly to hold 6. Of course, that's only an issue if you're going to shoot Wild Bunch with it.

My solid frame Winchester 97 holds 6 shells.....barely. The take down models will hold 5 and the follower and/or spring have to be modified slightly to hold 6. Of course, that's only an issue if you're going to shoot Wild Bunch with it.

My 1957 Winny 'E' model '97 T/D, holds 6 without any mods.

LG

I've never shot anything besides 97's for about 18 years. There is really no difference in durability. I love the solid frames because they are lighter in the front end therefore handle and point better. With a little preventative maintenance you will never need more than 2 97's. If you need more than that you have the wrong person working on them.

If I'm not mistaken, all the Chinese imports are solid frame.

Fillmore

I've never shot anything besides 97's for about 18 years. There is really no difference in durability. I love the solid frames because they are lighter in the front end therefore handle and point better. With a little preventative maintenance you will never need more than 2 97's. If you need more than that you have the wrong person working on them.

It's always nice to have a few extras laying around...

But...what do I know...

Phantom

The parts that go bad and need replaced usually are in the action. PIA on a solid frame to get at them quickly. I've changed left extractors during matches when they went bad. It's much quicker to get at them on a takedown.

Of all the takedowns I've bought 9+ I never bought one that was close to being at the end of the teeth on the take up ring. I've never ran through the adjustment in the life of the gun. Hammers ,sears, loose bolts, broken hook screws, ejectors, left extractors etc were more of a concern than tightness of the gun. Those parts wear in a solid frame too, they are just harder to replace repair when uou need too. Most people would be reaching for a different gun at a match instead of replacing them. I prefer to shoot the gun I (intended )the one I practiced with prior to showing up at the match.

The parts that go bad and need replaced usually are in the action. PIA on a solid frame to get at them quickly. I've changed left extractors during matches when they went bad. It's much quicker to get at them on a takedown.

The only difference between taking them down to replace anything in the action is removing the mag tube on a solid frame verses the front barrel assembly on a take down......takes about 1 minute more to remove two screws, clamp, and mag tube.

I'd use either. The solid frame guns are definitely lighter and more manueverable but not enough to make much difference to me. I have several of them. Late model IAC/Norinco's, Cimarron/TTN, and both solid frame and take down originals. I prefer using the IAC/Norinco version over any of them.

Of all the takedowns I've bought 9+ I never bought one that was close to being at the end of the teeth on the take up ring. I've never ran through the adjustment in the life of the gun. Hammers ,sears, loose bolts, broken hook screws, ejectors, left extractors etc were more of a concern than tightness of the gun. Those parts wear in a solid frame too, they are just harder to replace repair when uou need too. Most people would be reaching for a different gun at a match instead of replacing them. I prefer to shoot the gun I (intended )the one I practiced with prior to showing up at the match.

I've had them sent in for action work where someone had filed extra notches in the adjusting sleeves trying to tighten them back up. This is scary because the takedowns with their interrupted threads already have only half the threads engaged compared to what the solids have. Then the sleeve with the extra notches is rotated even more to a point where there's only about 1/4th the threads engaged.

It's a mute point for what we do but from a mechanical stand point the solids are stronger.

I should have said I never bought one because I checked them before I layed down the cash.

From the dregs of bitter experience, either will bite ya, when you least expect, or can afford it.

I prefer the slightly lighter, handier solid frame, but have handled some takedowns that I could learn to like.

Don't swap the two without a few minutes of practice though; the reach is a smidge different, but may interfere with loading.

Cheers,

FJT

Archived