SASS Wire Forum

Stoeger Shotguns - Disabling the Safety

By many years of habit, I push the safety off when I bring the gun up. It doesn't slow me down at all so I see no reason to remove or deactivate it at all. If it were gone, I'd still push the safety button.

Here's a web site that explains how to slick up the Stoeger coach gun. The photo right at the top shows the inner mechanism.

http://marauder.homestead.com/files/stoeger3.html

You see the horizontal rod with a spring wound around it? To disable the auto safety you cut off the back end (not the pointy end) of that rod. About an eighth of an inch will get you close. I used a Dremel tool with a cutoff wheel because it's hardened steel.

You don't want to take off too much or else the rod won't be long enough extend through the hole that holds it in place.

Shortening the rod will disable the auto safety, but the safety will still work if you move it by hand.

Take off the stock and you will see how easy it is to remove the thingie that operates the safety. REAL simple

Here is a link to an article on reversing the triggers on a Stoeger. It has detailed photos and shows how to alter parts to disable the auto resetting safety.

Photos 9 & 10 on the second page will show you what you are looking for.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw3sispCCVLZckNLV2ZqQzdKUWc/edit?usp=sharing

I see no reason for a safety on a break-open shotgun. It's just one more thing to think about or go wrong. I shortened the push rod on my first stoeger. It worked quite well but would occasionally get bumped back into the safe position. On my second stoeger I simply removed the lever. The slider is still there but it doesn't do anything.

Pards, what is the easiest way to disable the safety on a Stoeger? Pictures will help. Thanks.

I just did one - I drove out the pin that hold the safety lever and took it out - 20 seconds of work and the safety button on top still clicks into place, there just isn't a safety under it, to block the triggers from moving..

Replaced firing pins on my Stoeger with Longhunter SS pins due to light hits after about 3K rounds through gun. Also put Longhunter lighter spring on activator rod. No more light hits but safety started to reset after first shot. Deepened detent on safety button but safety still reset. Now adding washers behing spring to bring back to where it does not reset. I don't want to deactivate automatic safety reset because then I would be hesitant to loan gun to anyone else to use. I have done so several times at matches where someone else's SG became unuseable. Also, when you modify any function on a gun then you relieve the manufacture from any liability if there is a malfunction in gun in future. I know this from experience in working on medical equipment.

Archived