SASS Wire Forum

How many rounds to 'wear out the average SAA

Dungannon Gunner

My specific request is around the 38 Special, however I am sure others would like to hear about 45 cal. What are some tell-tale signs that the barrel needs replaced?

Don't need to replace a barrel until the lands are significantly worn down and the gun won't pattern properly on paper... or... if a black powder shooter let the barrel rot... with numerous and deep pits... (have found even a Ruger Old Army like that!)

Modern Steel with proper care should last you several lifetimes

I have about 90,000 rounds through my " Uberti" SAA in ,45 Colt , I suspect it will go ten times that as to barrel Wearing out...

With our Lead bullets I expect that the Very last thing wear-out will be the barrel... So far breakage has been one Trigger/Bolt spring and one Ejector Rod.

Jabez Cowboy

With the lite loads that we use in this game, I'm not sure that anyone could wear out the barrel if the gun is maintained properly. I've put 100K through a pair of Clones and they still shoot just fine. When I bought them new, I tuned them and re- hardened the hammers. Over time I've replaced the bolts and Hands due to wear, but everything else is original.

Snakebite

I'm with the above.

My current main match guns are on their third bolt springs, second set of hands, sixth or seventh ejector rods

(I tend to snap off the heads during holstering)

The bluing is gone on the barrel, ejector rod and front half of the cylinder.

I have replaced the screws due to my ham handedness and ill fitting screwdrivers

and broken the factory grips.

The only thing that still looks like it is brand new is the interior of the barrel after a few brush passes and an oily mop.

The only way I see the barrel ever needing replacement is if I do something pretty stupid (squibs, bulges, etc.) and that would not be considered wear.

I worked on CAS Single Action for 16+ years before I retired. With light to moderate loads and lead bullets, your not going to live that long.

The observations of the previous answers are ALL correct.

Coffinmaker

If your real name is Methuselah and you have an unlimited amount of ammo, it 'might' happen in your life time.

But other than the perimeters mentioned above, I doubt any of us will ever notice any inside barrel wear on our Cowboy pistols.

..........WIdder

Shooting only lead bullets at the speeds we (or I) shoot them at? Eons.

I'm with the above consensus. Bought some very used Rugers in 45 Colt 14 years ago when I first started this game and, despite now owning several options to choose from, these are and have been my main match guns. With the little practice and several matches, over 100,000 rounds in that time. Bores still look good, but not new, still put an acceptable group at 50' indoors. A 308 with armor piercing might not make it that far :D

CR

Many years ago, Elmer Keith mentioned wearing out the barrel of a 1911 in about 5,000 rounds, shooting jacketed bullets. I would imagine the same might apply to an older SAA shot with jacketed bullets. However, with modern steel and lead bullets, I believe a gun would last much longer....

Howdy,

Ive heard that benchrest shooters see deteriation at about 5k rounds.

Then they retire those barrels to the varmint hunters, who shoot them for years more.

That's with high power flat shooting rifle rounds using way more powder.

I bought a colt one time, no grooves atall.

I worked it over with rod, brush and lead remover and bingo grooves appeared as

they were just full of lead...

Hard to tell how long but you might ask the Ruger folks...

Best

CR

My specific request is around the 38 Special, however I am sure others would like to hear about 45 cal. What are some tell-tale signs that the barrel needs replaced?

You will likely be able to shoot your single action revolver your lifetime before a barrel has to be replaced, especially with cowboy loads. This assumes the guns were cleaned properly, i.e. immediately after shooting if BP and at least once per year if shooting smokeless. You will find other things that will break on your pistols tho, springs, hands, and other after a several tens of thousands of rounds. If your guns have a transfer bar, it will break more frequently.

Wear out a barrel well now maybe if you leave your lead bullets out in a dust storm and they pick up a lot of grit or you drop them regularly into the dirt then shoot them you might wear one to the point you would replace it. I shoot as much as anyone and my five year old Ruger's look great. The transfer bar breaks now and again but a Ruger redesign of that part has slowed that down. The bolt and springs need a little attention as well as the pawl. I've been told that it's possible to wear out the ratcheting at the rear of a cylinder but I haven't yet despite a lot of very fast doubles and more. Using the term fast as it applies to an old man that's got both feet on banana peels. So you will have the term wear which using them will cause and wear out which is not likely.

.. if a black powder shooter let the barrel rot... with numerous and deep pits... (have found even a Ruger Old Army like that!)

Modern Steel with proper care should last you several lifetimes

I have quite a few antique rifles and revolvers that have old pitted bores. A pitted bore does not necessarily affect accuracy. As long as the rifling is still strong, accuracy is usually fine.

Don't listen to these guys!!

After the guns have fired 500 thousand rounds - they are totally shot!!!

So you need to send them to me for disposal... :D :D :D

Don't listen to these guys!!

After the guns have fired 500 thousand rounds - they are totally shot!!!

So you need to send them to me for disposal...

And while waiting, Marauder will change his alias to Methuselahs!

I was curious. Thanks to all.

How many presses do you go thru to shoot 500,000 rounds? I think I would have to hire a full time reloader to sit at my bench and try to keep up while I shoot away. Not sure the Mrs would be on board with that. :)

Archived