SASS Wire Forum

EOT So what should I expect?

I have an opportunity to make it to my first EOT. So now with so little time to prepare, what should I expect?

Where to stay? Round count?

There are many questions and some I'm sure I haven't thought about. Can a person rent a camper there? What's the best way to get around?

I'll have a very tight budget.

Rev Willy Dunkum

Welcome to EOT. Yes there are companies that rent travel trailers and will spot them at the ranch for you. The SASS office will be able to give you the info for them. I would make those arrangements as soon as you can. SASS provides a tram (people mover) service during EOT that is free of charge. If you do camp you'll want to use it to get down to the bays each day, they'll load and unload your guncart also. There are motels in Moriarty and of course Albuquerque. Be sure and stop at the front gate and introduce yourself on the way into the ranch and if I can answer any questions between now and then just PM me.

We have been to EOT twice and found that it is hot and dry so carry some gun covers to help with the dust. We stayed in the Best Western in Morarity and really enjoyed it, good price, nice rooms and great staff. They usually have a box of old towels in the lobby to use when cleaning the dust from your guns. There a few resturants near the motel nothing high dollar but good food. Where ever you stay you will have a great time.

Tucker T

You should prepare for some BIG FUN! ;) Do take in the side matches, and prepare for T Bones epic party / show?? Those Texas boys do know how to throw a party :) You will meet some of the best people! It's fun when you your shooting warm up's with The General, and he is a hoot!

Round count? Use the standard old 10-10-4 times 12 stages. If you are going to shoot a warmup, add four more stages. Plus, bring ammo for any side matches you might want to shoot.

Renting a camper is probably out of your budget. Motels are more affordable but offer a poorer experience. Moriarty is a good choice but may be full at this time. We like the Sunset Motel there. The motels off Eubank Blvd in ABQ (Hotel Circle) are a good bet. New Mexican food is pretty spicy for those from the Midwest. Be careful what you order. The Founders Ranch shotgun club will be open for side matches and 5-stand. Don't feel you need to bring a case of shells as plenty are available locally if you start busting clays. Expect to see a very high level of competition. You won't place nearly as well as you do at your home club.

I was wondering about the renting a camper vs motel costs. I'll have to make some calls asap.

I recall that Cruise America would rent a motor home (small one) for ~$200 a night. Motels in Moriarty are more like $65 a night. Staying on range is a superior social experience if it is in one's budget. Still EOT is worth the trip wherever you bunk.

Brings lots of hand lotion and chapstick.......start BEFORE you head to NM.

Take the tram ride up to Sandia Peak while there. Sopapia's pretty darn good at the range and there is typically some good shows going on during the day. It's quite the EVENT.

Stan

Brings lots of hand lotion and chapstick.......start BEFORE you head to NM.

Take the tram ride up to Sandia Peak while there. Sopapia's pretty darn good at the range and there is typically some good shows going on during the day. It's quite the EVENT.

Stan

+1

Just to add to that. I would also take some eye drops and nose spray. I found that along with

the chapstick to be very helpful.

Drink a lot of water while there. Even if you think you don't need it.

Don't wear yourself out the first day.

It's marathon. Not a sprint.

If you're traveling alone why don't you put a shout out on the Wire for a room-mate?

Worked for me at a big match.

Waimea

:FlagAm:

I was wondering about the renting a camper vs motel costs. I'll have to make some calls asap.

Unless you are bringing a BIG family or splitting the cost of the camper with some others.

By the time you pay that and the camping fee.

Motel will be cheaper.

I've got an opportunity for a slide in camper for my pickup. It may be a good option as I can use it in the future for other matches. If I count it as a non expense (try that on the wife), then I'll just have to figure gas and camping fees.

She won't come with me so its just me traveling unless I get a lonely soul wanting to share the travel with this old man.

Work is allowing me to take the time off (wonders never cease) so looks like things are falling into place. I tried to call Misty but was too late today, sent her an email.

Rev

******water -check

******chapstick- check

******lotion-check

******dust covers-check

When you get to EOT and meet a few pards they may let you go to their motel room or campground that has showers and take a shower. That's what I did a couple of years ago when I decided to save money and leave the RV at home and live in a cargo trailer for 12 days at EOT. I probably won't do that again.

I've got an opportunity for a slide in camper for my pickup. It may be a good option as I can use it in the future for other matches. If I count it as a non expense (try that on the wife), then I'll just have to figure gas and camping fees.

She won't come with me so its just me traveling unless I get a lonely soul wanting to share the travel with this old man.

Work is allowing me to take the time off (wonders never cease) so looks like things are falling into place. I tried to call Misty but was too late today, sent her an email.

Rev

******water -check

******chapstick- check

******lotion-check

******dust covers-check

Reverend, one thing you'll have at EOT is plenty of help. If you need anything just ask a Waddie and if they don't have the answer they'll find someone that does. Another thing I've learned about folks from New Mexico is that they are a very hospitable bunch and will bend over backwards to help you out. All of the locals that I've ever dealt with there have gone out of their way to help me out if I needed anything. I'm pretty sure that once you get there and meet a few folks you'll have an offer to camp with others and will be warmly welcomed. You'll probably be invited to share meals at different camps and join in other activities. There are quite a few folks I know that once they get there they don't leave until EOT is over. If you need a grocery item or two you can usually find someone that will pick it up for you when they go to town. You're going to have fun. It is an event that I look forward to every year and I've never shot the match. IMHO it's a very special place overflowing with very special people.

When you get to EOT and meet a few pards they may let you go to their motel room or campground that has showers and take a shower. That's what I did a couple of years ago when I decided to save money and leave the RV at home and live in a cargo trailer for 12 days at EOT. I probably won't do that again.

I trust the trailer was parked down wind...

TL

Hi Reverand, I went a couple years ago, stayed in Moriarty at the Motel 8, it was ok, very reasonable pricing, nice places to eat close by too, within about 15 minute drive to the range....

You asked what to expect, expect to have a great time also!

Good shooting with you at the Open, enjoyed your company

Ditto Traveling Kid! US Open was FUN! EOT is going to be a real adventure! I may end up with a sleeping bag in the back of my truck but I'll be there one way or the other!

Seems like there are lots of options still open, time to crunch numbers.

Ditto Traveling Kid! US Open was FUN! EOT is going to be a real adventure! I may end up with a sleeping bag in the back of my truck but I'll be there one way or the other!

Seems like there are lots of options still open, time to crunch numbers.

Sleeping in the back of your pickup is a viable plan. Temperatures will get down to the sixties at night making for comfortable sleeping. However, have a place where you can get out of the heat and hydrate in the afternoon or the desert conditions will badly fatigue you and you may shoot poorly.

Targets are close so stages are fast. 4 stages per day make it good for holding your focus. Lots of really fast shooters most of whom will tell you they aren't shooting well. Shoot your game and you should do fine. Most of all enjoy the spectacle and watch others shoot. Definitely worth the trip.

Archived