SASS Wire Forum

Hi Folks,

Please keep this in the theoretical. No naming names!

Regards,

Allie Mo

So when do these rules apply, or are we left to guess? I have seen videos of other shooters posted and scrutinized for multiple pages and you remain silent. Oh, and why do you feel the need to yell?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we're referring to the Man-on-Man at...then I can tell ya the philosophy of the event.

While it was the Sunday after the awards...it could...should be considered part of the event.

That said, it is also quite informal. Only a handful of folks come out and the purpose is to let off a little steam...relax...laugh...and generally enjoy the end of the match.

No awards...no nuthin.

So important that I purposely didn't bring SG rounds to what ended up being my last round of the Man-on-Man. Ended up emptying out one of my pistols, reloading...and KD'ing the SG targets my pistol.

Yes...I lost...couldn't have cared less...it was fun!!!

So while I agree that costuming is fun and an essential part of our game, and I'm pretty much always in costume at the events, there are times and circumstances that allow for leeway...

Cheers!

Phantom

+1

If we're referring to the Man-on-Man at...then I can tell ya the philosophy of the event.

While it was the Sunday after the awards...it could...should be considered part of the event.

That said, it is also quite informal. Only a handful of folks come out and the purpose is to let off a little steam...relax...laugh...and generally enjoy the end of the match.

No awards...no nuthin.

So important that I purposely didn't bring SG rounds to what ended up being my last round of the Man-on-Man. Ended up emptying out one of my pistols, reloading...and KD'ing the SG targets my pistol.

Yes...I lost...couldn't have cared less...it was fun!!!

So while I agree that costuming is fun and an essential part of our game, and I'm pretty much always in costume at the events, there are times and circumstances that allow for leeway...

Cheers!

Phantom

Thanks for sharing more of the story ;)

GG

I remember back when Spence and Doc Shapiro started the world record websites. Some of us were dressed cowboy for some of the vids and some were not. I was about a half and half for my videos. I remember being under some pretty nasty scrutiny for one of the vids where I had a ball cap and t shirt on. Now these vids were taken during a practice session on a private range not during a match or anything. I even got a couple of pm's telling me I was doing a disservice to the game. What did I do? Well i started dressing cowboy for any more vids. While the videos are not SASS sanctioned or anything like that they are still a representation of our sport. And one of the things that makes our sport unique is the costuming and the history involved. Now I personally have been down what some call the "minimalist" road. Henley, blue jeans and work boots and a hat and thats it. I had a very good friend that is pretty much like a big brother to me ask me why I dressed the way I did. My immediate outcry was that I was within the rules. He then asks why I was so immediately defensive of being asked why I dressed the way I did. I don't know the video in question or the shooter and don't care. The dress code is being ignored at every match I go to. And it's unfortunate that some of the top shooters in the game choose to ignore it. Whats even more frustrating is when the immediate reaction is to threaten to quit or to cry sour grapes. There are hundreds of folks that have dedicated countless hours and bunches of their own $$ to promote and grow SASS and CAS that do follow the rules. Giving back does not entitle anyone to not follow the rules or skirt them. Meanwhile there are plenty of Top shooters like Red River Ray, Cobra Cat,Santa Fe River Stan,James Samuel Pike,Cowboy Carty,Doc Noper and Blackjack Zak to name a few who do go above and beyond and look great and shoot the lights out and promote the sport in the spirit in which it was intended to be. This is COWBOY action shooting. As for social media. Well it has it's purpose. I use it to post fun pics mostly of my son for family and friends. But I hold it mostly responsible for men not being able to communicate like men anymore. I wouldn't sweat anything that goes on regarding social media.

I remember back when Spence and Doc Shapiro started the world record websites. Some of us were dressed cowboy for some of the vids and some were not. I was about a half and half for my videos. I remember being under some pretty nasty scrutiny for one of the vids where I had a ball cap and t shirt on. Now these vids were taken during a practice session on a private range not during a match or anything. I even got a couple of pm's telling me I was doing a disservice to the game. What did I do? Well i started dressing cowboy for any more vids. While the videos are not SASS sanctioned or anything like that they are still a representation of our sport. And one of the things that makes our sport unique is the costuming and the history involved. Now I personally have been down what some call the "minimalist" road. Henley, blue jeans and work boots and a hat and thats it. I had a very good friend that is pretty much like a big brother to me ask me why I dressed the way I did. My immediate outcry was that I was within the rules. He then asks why I was so immediately defensive of being asked why I dressed the way I did. I don't know the video in question or the shooter and don't care. The dress code is being ignored at every match I go to. And it's unfortunate that some of the top shooters in the game choose to ignore it. Whats even more frustrating is when the immediate reaction is to threaten to quit or to cry sour grapes. There are hundreds of folks that have dedicated countless hours and bunches of their own $$ to promote and grow SASS and CAS that do follow the rules. Giving back does not entitle anyone to not follow the rules or skirt them. Meanwhile there are plenty of Top shooters like Red River Ray, Cobra Cat,Santa Fe River Stan,James Samuel Pike,Cowboy Carty,Doc Noper and Blackjack Zak to name a few who do go above and beyond and look great and shoot the lights out and promote the sport in the spirit in which it was intended to be. This is COWBOY action shooting. As for social media. Well it has it's purpose. I use it to post fun pics mostly of my son for family and friends. But I hold it mostly responsible for men not being able to communicate like men anymore. I wouldn't sweat anything that goes on regarding social media.

Well said.

Thanks for perspective on the issue...good post.

GG

Hi Folks,

Please keep this in the theoretical. No naming names!

Regards,

Allie Mo

So when do these rules apply, or are we left to guess? I have seen videos of other shooters posted and scrutinized for multiple pages and you remain silent. Oh, and why do you feel the need to yell?

When rules or infractions are discussed, the polite thing to do is to keep it theoretical. That way no one is embarrassed unnecessarily (they might not have known they were breaking a rule or making a bad call) and we can all learn from the discussion.

If I or another moderator left a potentially embarrassing post, it was not our intent. We cannot see everything. Reports are helpful in that regard. There were several that were helpful today.

Thanks for sharing more of the story ;)

GG

That is why I say some should not judge what is going on. From 1500 miles away.

Let the local club handle it there way for what is happening at the time.

That is why I say some should not judge what is going on. From 1500 miles away.

Let the local club handle it there way for what is happening at the time.

Agreed. We all want to be pards. As one who is less involved with this sport ( kind of an outsider) it's just hoped so much that those who put their hearts, souls, and money heavily in CAS will band together more than seen here on this subject. SASS has a great thing going.... I've met many grand folks.

GG

Can someone explain to me what 'man on man' is? I started to google it, but the autocomplete options that popped up scared me so bad that I closed the tab, then closed the browser, then turned off the computer and counted to 10.

Can someone explain to me what 'man on man' is? I started to google it, but the autocomplete options that popped up scared me so bad that I closed the tab, then closed the browser, then turned off the computer and counted to 10.

I'm not going to search man on man, but from what I can tell it is when two top shooters shoot an identical stage at the same time to see who the ultimate winner is. Typically after the main match.

For example:

Yer killin' me... LOL

I think Deuce Stevens said this very well, and also, I do not think it relevant whether the objection came from 15 feet or 15 hundred miles away.

I know Fillmore Coffins has lost a lot of sleep and has stopped eating :o since he was unfriended on facebook.....not. Unfriending Fillmore over this issue was laughably sophomoric. :wacko::lol::lol: Fillmore, I'm gonna send you a button....."I wuz unfriended on Facebook" They gotta be for sale somewhere on the Internet. :lol:

Fillmore, ya done real good!

Being unfriended on Facebook is sorta like having your subscription to Readers Digest canceled.

By the way, what the hell is Facebook?

Never mind that someone shows they are not your friend so you unfriend them. :wacko:

Never mind that none of us know what was said on there to want someone to unfriend you.

NO. Lets not look at that.

Lets just hang the person that did the unfriending. What a joke.

Personally. If someone ran on here running me down. I would not want to be friends with them either.

And lets not allow clubs to look at each situation and make up there own mind. NO.

Can't do that. :unsure:

I think Deuce Stevens said this very well, and also, I do not think it relevant whether the objection came from 15 feet or 15 hundred miles away.

I know Fillmore Coffins has lost a lot of sleep and has stopped eating :o since he was unfriended on facebook.....not. Unfriending Fillmore over this issue was laughably sophomoric. :wacko::lol::lol: Fillmore, I'm gonna send you a button....."I wuz unfriended on Facebook" They gotta be for sale somewhere on the Internet. :lol:

While everyone's opinion is allowed...and rightly so...I think it's funny that folks such as yourself that as far as I know don't even participate in this game get on here and opine on these issues.

And of course you've blocked me...so I don't even know why I'm making this statement...doesn't reflect well on my intellect...But you blocked me because I called you out and you couldn't handle that.

So many opinions...sooooo little information.

Cheers!

Phantom

Here's what I get out of all this. The higher you climb the the ladder the easier it is for people to see you. Thus you will be judged and sentenced by many whether they have all the facts or not . Sooo you may want to cover your A$$. Also if someone runs you down on an open forum there was no friendship there to begin with.

Here's what I get out of all this. The higher you climb the the ladder the easier it is for people to see you. Thus you will be judged and sentenced by many whether they have all the facts or not . Sooo you may want to cover your A$$. Also if someone runs you down on an open forum there was no friendship there to begin with.

Golly, Wanted.....that's good insight and well stated.

..........Widder

Well, Mr. Coffin, you are not the only one who thinks costume rules should be enforced. I shoot, obviously, B Western. I have, in the last year or so, watched some get away with NOT wearing B Western shirts. For ten years it seems everyone pretty much understood what a B Western shirt was, only one of two shirts mentioned that are legal (along with a bib shirt if it has piping or embroidery) I brought it up, and I will bring it up if I see it again. The shooter I politely pointed it out to at our State Match will not talk to me now and turns their back on me. I don't care. It is simply not fair to those who follow the rules to let others NOT follow the rules. I realize some don't care, I realize some don't KNOW the rules. Some say monthlies don't count, so, do you let them shoot illegal weapons on monthlies??? A polite reminder is not out of place, but the expectation that it be corrected by the next match is not too much to ask. Be minimal, okay with me. Be above and beyond, super okay with me!! Have fun, but please follow our rules while you are playing the game. Outside of a match? Practicing? Wear what you want. A "special" day at a monthly for fun? Great.

Wasn't the question, would you say anything about someone not following the rules???

NO ONE is perfect and we all learn "How to play the game" as we go along....usually we learn by making Mistakes....Isn't that where good judgement comes from. Learning from our mistakes.

Local match Local rules relaxed dress code NO PROBLEM.

That being said.....Fair or Not.....IF you put all the effort you can into being a Top Shooter then be prepared for the spotlight to shine on you. Your actions will reflect on the sport. Judgements will be made about our sport based on how YOU shoot and ACT at all times. Anyone that thinks otherwise is ignorant of how the world works. There is a responsibility that goes along with the buckles and the atta boys from your pards.

Make a mistake.....No biggie......Keep repeating the same mistake, over and over, and it changes from a mistake to an insult to all those around you. No one should get upset for being called out when it's turned into an insult.

Cowboy Up!

Stan

PS. I took my share of heat for my "dress code" in videos.......at least I learned from it.....in more ways than one.

PSS. I don't know and don't care about what started this......It's up to you to decide if the shoe fits or not.

Gosh... what a mine field this has become. Not only are top shooters spoken about in hushed, accusatory tones for having the unmitigated audacity to PRACTICE, but they're also attacked for letting their guards down when folks are just shooting for 'kicks and giggles'. That's the way of the world these days I think. The instant, shared, recorded social medium is the message.

And, we can't shoot the messenger. So we might as well get used to it. There is no longer any down time especially for the top end of the sport. That's one way to know that you're in the top end, I 'spose.... people can't talk behind your back if you're not out in front. What a cryin' shame?

Maybe not...frankly it has irked me before to arrive at an awards banquet to find the MC dressed in a tshirt. On its own there is nothing wrong with a tshirt- and if I may say so... it was a dang nice tshirt. I sucked it up because in my view there are better battles only to discover that others didn't suck it up and made quite a deal about it.

So just know that if you're one of those that TAKES a good deal of adulation, praise, recognition, reward and opportunity that comes from being a SASS champion then it would probably behoove you to follow in the example of past champions and act like one of our champions or be prepared for the censure that will surely come with disrespecting the rules- even for a moment.

:) As humans, we ignore rules for four reasons

1)We do not know the rules

2)We are trying to gain an unfair advantage.

3)We know the rules, but are willing to accept the consequences if challenged.

4)We are trying to demonstrate that the rules do not apply to us.

It gets confusing when proceeding as a #3, we find that we grossly underestimated the consequences; claim to be a #1; and come off looking like a #2 or #4. :)

While everyone's opinion is allowed...and rightly so...I think it's funny that folks such as yourself that as far as I know don't even participate in this game get on here and opine on these issues.

And of course you've blocked me...so I don't even know why I'm making this statement...doesn't reflect well on my intellect...But you blocked me because I called you out and you couldn't handle that.

So many opinions...sooooo little information.

Cheers!

Phantom

Never mind that someone shows they are not your friend so you unfriend them. :wacko:

Never mind that none of us know what was said on there to want someone to unfriend you.

NO. Lets not look at that.

Lets just hang the person that did the unfriending. What a joke.

Personally. If someone ran on here running me down. I would not want to be friends with them either.

And lets not allow clubs to look at each situation and make up there own mind. NO.

Can't do that. :unsure:

Agreed 100% on both counts

Who could this possibly be who committed this horrible crime? It's me that's who!

Now that we have that out of the way here is a little back story on this. My personal Facebook page is mine. I don't post negative comments or question anyone else on their page and I simply require the same courtesy from them. I have zero tolerance for people that want to start crap or post negative things on my personal page. If there is someone that posts something negative or I view as an attack on me, my friends or family on my Facebook page then they are eliminated because I do not do that to them. At times I may be sensitive in this area and may have acted hastily. If Mr. Coffins would have messaged me about his question about me wearing a T-shirt in a video instead of calling me out about it where it looked like he was the clothing police and therefore possibly turning off some of my non CAS friends on the sport then the outcome may have resulted in something more favorable. The fact is I have never met Mr. Coffins in person so no real friendship was established. In reality I believe we both could've handled this better. I apologize for offending you by unfriending you but you must know that I simply viewed you as an unfriendly based on your comment. I'm nice to everyone until they give me a reason otherwise.

The fact is I reach several million people on my personal and Outlaw Gang pages that are not Cowboy Action Shooters I do my best to show the fun side of this sport and make it attractive to non CAS. I also understand the costuming part of this sport and the importance that it has. I also know that it matters more to some than others. Furthermore I know that while I don't consider myself a top shooter I am in the public eye quite a bit therefore I should set a good example. I don't believe that I should be ridiculed more for being in the public eye. I love this sport and all it's imperfections more than you can imagine and I have worked and continue to work diligently to promote and grow this sport. I currently have projects in the works that will shine a huge light on this sport and I look very forward to the incredible impact this will have!

Now as far as me wearing a T-shirt on the video of the shoot off event. Yes I should have worn a cowboy shirt. So I am sorry I didn't have one on for the video. The fact is we didn't plan on shooting this event let alone shooting video of it. All our stuff was loaded in the truck and we were headed home. At the last minute some friends asked us to shoot and when I saw there wasn't many people there we decided to go ahead and shoot the event. Since this was an informal thing just for fun with no award ceremonies or awards I really didn't think at the time my T-shirt would make this much of a difference! Apparently I was wrong and yes I learned from this! The event turned out to be lots of fun! Dylan and I have been in several shoot offs together and there is video of them from long ago and several people have enjoyed them. With this new video we really played it up and had a great time shooting the event. We laughed and had a great time! I felt that some of my FRIENDS would like to see the video because they have enjoyed them in the past. I also thought it was a good video that really shows how much fun CAS can be. I wasn't trying to get an advantage by wearing a T-shirt or imply that the rules don't pertain to me. I simply didn't think it was a very big deal because this was just for fun. The match directors were right there and they didn't have a problem with how I was dressed either since this was just a fun event. In fact Phantom and I both basically took ourselves out because we were just having fun. When I was shooting against Matt Black in the video I did try and I put him out but I really thought it would have gone the other way! At the end Dave won the shoot off and we enjoyed the fact that he did! It was all in good fun and everyone had a blast

You know there are lots of people who wear stuff that I don't like but I don't ever say anything about it. I am not perfect by stretch of the imagination nor will I ever be. You may not agree with everything I do or say but I can tell you this, I just want this sport to grow and for people to see the fun that it is. I am sorry for wearing a T-Shirt in the video and hope you realize that it wasn't done with bad intentions. I also apologize for hurting Mr. Coffins feelings. With that I hope we have all learned something here and can just move on. lets get behind each other and build this sport and stop the bickering with each other. United we stand divided we fall.

Now all that being said here is the video in question and please look beyond my T-shirt and look at the fun we are having!

Blessings to you all my friends!

Colt

I'm still ya buddy Fillmore even though ya said I had a Huuge Head....LOL !!

Rebel :D

Bravo Colt!

I have a better understanding of events after reading yours and Phantom's posts.

Thank you for coming here, admitting some fault, and extending an olive branch to Fillmore Coffins. I know him and believe he meant no personal harm to you or Matt.

You are a big man for posting what you did here!

Regards and many thanks for putting a positive face on this controversy,

Allie Mo

The truth is never wrong.

True. But a wise cowpoke would be careful how he talked.

Examples.

Question. Honey. Does these jeans make butt look big?

Answer. Sweetheart. No clothes are good enough for your figure.

Question. Honey. Who is the better cook. Me or your mother.

Answer. You both must of had the same teacher.

Who could this possibly be who committed this horrible crime? It's me that's who!

Now that we have that out of the way here is a little back story on this. My personal Facebook page is mine. I don't post negative comments or question anyone else on their page and I simply require the same courtesy from them. I have zero tolerance for people that want to start crap or post negative things on my personal page. If there is someone that posts something negative or I view as an attack on me, my friends or family on my Facebook page then they are eliminated because I do not do that to them. At times I may be sensitive in this area and may have acted hastily. If Mr. Coffins would have messaged me about his question about me wearing a T-shirt in a video instead of calling me out about it where it looked like he was the clothing police and therefore possibly turning off some of my non CAS friends on the sport then the outcome may have resulted in something more favorable. The fact is I have never met Mr. Coffins in person so no real friendship was established. In reality I believe we both could've handled this better. I apologize for offending you by unfriending you but you must know that I simply viewed you as an unfriendly based on your comment. I'm nice to everyone until they give me a reason otherwise.

The fact is I reach several million people on my personal and Outlaw Gang pages that are not Cowboy Action Shooters I do my best to show the fun side of this sport and make it attractive to non CAS. I also understand the costuming part of this sport and the importance that it has. I also know that it matters more to some than others. Furthermore I know that while I don't consider myself a top shooter I am in the public eye quite a bit therefore I should set a good example. I don't believe that I should be ridiculed more for being in the public eye. I love this sport and all it's imperfections more than you can imagine and I have worked and continue to work diligently to promote and grow this sport. I currently have projects in the works that will shine a huge light on this sport and I look very forward to the incredible impact this will have!

Now as far as me wearing a T-shirt on the video of the shoot off event. Yes I should have worn a cowboy shirt. So I am sorry I didn't have one on for the video. The fact is we didn't plan on shooting this event let alone shooting video of it. All our stuff was loaded in the truck and we were headed home. At the last minute some friends asked us to shoot and when I saw there wasn't many people there we decided to go ahead and shoot the event. Since this was an informal thing just for fun with no award ceremonies or awards I really didn't think at the time my T-shirt would make this much of a difference! Apparently I was wrong and yes I learned from this! The event turned out to be lots of fun! Dylan and I have been in several shoot offs together and there is video of them from long ago and several people have enjoyed them. With this new video we really played it up and had a great time shooting the event. We laughed and had a great time! I felt that some of my FRIENDS would like to see the video because they have enjoyed them in the past. I also thought it was a good video that really shows how much fun CAS can be. I wasn't trying to get an advantage by wearing a T-shirt or imply that the rules don't pertain to me. I simply didn't think it was a very big deal because this was just for fun. The match directors were right there and they didn't have a problem with how I was dressed either since this was just a fun event. In fact Phantom and I both basically took ourselves out because we were just having fun. When I was shooting against Matt Black in the video I did try and I put him out but I really thought it would have gone the other way! At the end Dave won the shoot off and we enjoyed the fact that he did! It was all in good fun and everyone had a blast

You know there are lots of people who wear stuff that I don't like but I don't ever say anything about it. I am not perfect by stretch of the imagination nor will I ever be. You may not agree with everything I do or say but I can tell you this, I just want this sport to grow and for people to see the fun that it is. I am sorry for wearing a T-Shirt in the video and hope you realize that it wasn't done with bad intentions. I also apologize for hurting Mr. Coffins feelings. With that I hope we have all learned something here and can just move on. lets get behind each other and build this sport and stop the bickering with each other. United we stand divided we fall.

Now all that being said here is the video in question and please look beyond my T-shirt and look at the fun we are having!

Blessings to you all my friend!

Colt

Well.... Seems like we can call this one 'case-closed'. Hope all gets worked out with y'all. Look forward to shooting with ya again sometime.

GG

If you look at the original thread that is now locked you'll see my post was a question on whether costuming requirements are changing around the country.

It was a question about a video I saw that I ambiguously referred to with neither names, locations, genders, or time frames. We have all heard about Tex's articles about clothing recently and I thought I finally saw an example of it in what was represented as a Shoot-Out at an Annual Match. No mention was ever made that it took place on Sunday, after the awards, after the main match, after everyone had gone home, or while folks were taking naps or having lunch. It was represented as a Shoot-Out at an Annual Match. When I saw the video I guess I "called out" Mr. Faro by asking him, "They let you guys shoot in T-shirts?" For doing that publicly and insulting him, Colt, I apologize.

Was I insulted for being "unfriended" on Facebook? No, I found it amusing and a little ridiculous but, that's not my call.

Would I bring up the issue of costuming again? Yes, now more than ever. I have been an advocate for sometime at our annual match which has now become the Western Regional, that if you want your medal at the awards ceremony, follow the rules. Wear the proper clothing.

Do I wish I had never posted this issue? No.

I wish Colt Faro the best of luck in his endeavors and thank him for he's done for OUR sport. Heck, I think I'm the one who introduced Rattlesnake Wrangler to the folks around here by posting some of his early videos.

To my fellow Cowboy shooters, thanks to all who supported me and my apologies to all I offended. That was never my intention.

Fillmore Coffins

SASS#7884

edited for typos and punctuation

I'm thankful for all the help you guys and gals gave me on costuming and finding big and tall shirts.

Rebel Roach

Archived