SASS Wire Forum

Are clothing rules changing around the country?

ALERT. I WAS AWAY FOR THE LAST 2 DAYS AND MY SON HAS BEEN POSTING ON SASS NET FROM HIS COMPUTER> HE IS NOW DISINHERETED!. SORRY FOR ANY PROBLEMS JIMMY CAUSED.

:wacko:

GG ~ :FlagAm:

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ALERT. I WAS AWAY FOR THE LAST 2 DAYS AND MY SON HAS BEEN POSTING ON SASS NET FROM HIS COMPUTER> HE IS NOW DISINHERETED!. SORRY FOR ANY PROBLEMS JIMMY CAUSED.

Yea right!

Every one of the "Top Shooters" i have have had the pleasure to shoot with over the years have been gracious, helpful, usually fun and practice A LOT. Some keep to themselves more, that does not bother me. Some dress to the hilt and some the same each time, some bare necessities. As long as it is "legal", I don't really care.

However, I have seen some clubs not enforce the clothing rules, especially for B Western. (and at Annuals, where they should be enforced even more) Whether it is because they don't care or don't know any better, I find it annoying and not fair to the other shooters. A Black pullover t-shirt type blouse with a fringed jacket over it is NOT B Western. It is smart, however, to check and see if a shooter has a medical problem and that is why their boots or shoes are not exactly "legal". And some clubs have special days that is allowed to wear something different, which makes it fun.

Ya-'RITE' :angry:

Your 'son' has the exact same writing and word usage style as you do--HMMMmmmm, What is that I smell??

LG

I participate in another social media site where folks post pictures and videos. I happened to catch a video recently that featured a top gun shoot-out at an annual match. I was surprised to see one of the participants wearing a t-shirt with what appeared to be a company logo.

I know stuck out here on the West Coast, we miss some of the nuances around the country. Are the clothing requirements being loosened?

Fillmore

PS, I shoot at some clubs where it gets in the 100's during the summer months and I am aware of "Island Shoots" that occur occasionally.

There was a bunch of videos posted on FB a short while ago, featuring cops vs cowboys. In those videos a lot of the shooters were wearing t-shirts and logos. It wasn't a SASS match. The only people allowed to wear short sleeved shirts, of any kind, are women. Men can wear long sleeves and roll them up.

By the way, at the California State Match, this past weekend, it was hotter n heck, and Sinful, the Match Director of the SASS Western Regional Championship in August at Chorro Valley, promised it would be 20 degrees cooler at that match, I'm gonna hold him to it. Let's see, 93 minus 20, yeah, I can handle 73.

I participate in another social media site where folks post pictures and videos. I happened to catch a video recently that featured a top gun shoot-out at an annual match. I was surprised to see one of the participants wearing a t-shirt with what appeared to be a company logo.

I know stuck out here on the West Coast, we miss some of the nuances around the country. Are the clothing requirements being loosened?

Fillmore

PS, I shoot at some clubs where it gets in the 100's during the summer months and I am aware of "Island Shoots" that occur occasionally.

Fillmore...I believe I saw the same post that you did on a social media site. It appeared to be a top gun shoot off which is normally after the match is over. I did find that video and its companion to be entertaining and actually quite inspiring....I won't go any further into it so as not to name any names. The times that I have run into this particular shooter at a match they were always friendly and have helped lots of shooters and exemplified the "cowboy" way whenever I was around. I don't live in the same state as they but I have a high regard for their shooting ability and their efforts in promoting SASS shooting.

Out in So Cal, I shoot four or five matches a month and everyone dresses the part. My nephew who is new to the sport wore a tee shirt to a match a month or so ago and got an ear full from a number of folks, as he should have. He was dressed much better this month.

had my oldest son and his girl friend start shooting with me nether one had any cowboy clothes told them to were as close to it as they could. At the match they started catching grief, old Dad step in told the person to leave them alone and that I told them to dress like that. It was their first shoot and I thought it was far far more important for them to shoot then to dress. the offending party keep it up till I told him to back the F*** off or I would get him 86 permanently from that range for being an ass hole, he shut up.

New shooter I do not expect them to come dress in appropriate attire the first time I will even give them a couple of months, but if it is an experience shooter I do expect the minimum

had my oldest son and his girl friend start shooting with me nether one had any cowboy clothes told them to were as close to it as they could. At the match they started catching grief, old Dad step in told the person to leave them alone and that I told them to dress like that. It was their first shoot and I thought it was far far more important for them to shoot then to dress. the offending party keep it up till I told him to back the F*** off or I would get him 86 permanently from that range for being an ass hole, he shut up.

New shooter I do not expect them to come dress in appropriate attire the first time I will even give them a couple of months, but if it is an experience shooter I do expect the minimum

Anyone giving grief to new shooters ought to have their noggin introduced to the axe handle.

NO

Clothing with advertising of any kind (except for the small manufacturers label) is NOT allowed.

Las Vegas is 20 degrees warmer than you.

What about those B-Western shooters sporting Ed Hardy by Christian Audigier shirts? Ed Hardy is a tattoo artist from SoCal and Christian Audigier is a French designer. Many of those shirts have logos like "Gypsy Soule" or "Love Kills." These are just pearl snap shirts with tattoo designs. I guess these shooters think because they are flashy and have "bling" that makes them B-Western. Just sayin' . . . while we are on the subject . . .

Anyone giving grief to new shooters ought to have their noggin introduced to the axe handle.

why do you think I was being as ass to the guy, :D

I think the rules are perfect the way they are. Did they have a choice in the 1800's? No.

We shouldn't either in my opinion. We're talking about our heritage here.

I am a BIG and Tall man. I can't find clothing from that period to fit me as of yet from anywhere.

Therefore out of respect I do not attend the matches although I very much want to.

Rebel Roach

SASS #100451

lol

FC

I think the rules are perfect the way they are. Did they have a choice in the 1800's? No.

We shouldn't either in my opinion. We're talking about our heritage here.

I am a BIG and Tall man. I can't find clothing from that period to fit me as of yet from anywhere.

Therefore out of respect I do not attend the matches although I very much want to.

Rebel Roach

SASS #100451

I suspect you have trousers, shoes, and a long sleeve shirt. That's all you MUST have to play our game. You no longer have a reason to not shoot. If anyone gives you grief, tell'em Fillmore Coffins sent ya. ;)

Fillmore

we have on pretty little filly who IS Indian and wears a complete Indian outfit and one Latino who looks like Manolito on High Chapraral. Another one dressed as Pancho Villa once. I have complete Teddy Roosevelt Rough Riders uniform I wear at times (without the coat)

I suspect you have trousers, shoes, and a long sleeve shirt. That's all you MUST have to play our game. You no longer have a reason to not shoot. Tell'em Fillmore Coffins sent ya. ;)

Fillmore

I just try to take it serious. I want to look the part but nobody carries 6xlt western shirts. I have or can find everything else.

Rebel

Black Diamond - You were on Posse 13 at Winter Range. There weren't any top shooters on that posse, I just checked. :)

I just try to take it serious. I want to look the part but nobody carries 6xlt western shirts. I have or can find everything else.

Rebel

I wear a 4xlt and can't buy off the rack cowboy shirts. I make do with henleys and button front shirts. I have a seamstress cut apart the collars and re-seam them into banded collars. I look for stripes or patterns that look cowboy era.

Black Diamond - You were on Posse 13 at Winter Range. There weren't any top shooters on that posse, I just checked. :)

I thought this thread was talking about clothes. I'm only talking about clothes. period. if you want to talk to me about something else, Send me an IM

Rebel

Once again, what I mentioned earlier would be seen as "taking it seriously". If you want to shoot, don't hold yourself to unreasonable standards. You can always modify as you go. Once you start going to matches and meeting folks you'll find that, "so and so's wife is a seamstress and she makes all his clothing and for others on the side."

Now go get a hat, for what I suspect is a HUGE melon of a head, tie a hanky around your neck, and go shooting! ;)

Fillmore

Once again, what I mentioned earlier would be seen as "taking it seriously". If you want to shoot, don't hold yourself to unreasonable standards. You can always modify as you go. Once you start going to matches and meeting folks you'll find that, "so and so's wife is a seamstress and she makes all his clothing and for others on the side."

Now go get a hat, for what I suspect is a HUGE melon of a head, tie a hanky around your neck, and go shooting! ;)

Fillmore

Excellent advice.

My nephew had been to several matches and he knew he messed up and admitted that he was just to lazy that morning. He learned a lesson. He forgot his cowboy hat this weekend, I've given him two, and I sent him back to my house to get another one of mine. He showed back up a little late but got to shoot in uniform.

I don't care if the main match is over. Even man-on-man contestants should at least dress the minimum. Jeans - OK, but not t-shirts with logos even if it is the logo for a major match. I have EOT t-shirts and would never consider wearing it in place of real cowboy shirt unless it is summer and the club has clearly stated summer dress rules.

I'm so glad that the club made the announcement about not winning awards or prizes if not dressed appropriately. I think more clubs should do the same prior to the awards ceremonies and man-on-man shoot offs. I've seen more and more taking advantage and getting away with it.

I'm not upset with new shooters and lack of total outfit. That will come later. What does bug me is long time shooters that take advantage and get away with it.

I wore a boller hat once and the sun is so intense in New Mexico, I got 2nd degree burns

Fillmore

And a fine MELON it is my friend....LOL

I will. Maybe I'll even get some ideas from some folks out there. I got a big ol hat too !!! :lol:

Rebel

Howdy Rebel,

I too agree with what Fillmore Coffins says. I used to be 9X so I know about the bigger guys and clothes.

Here are two places that have patterns that go up pretty big. http://www.lafnmoon.com/ and http://www.buckaroobobbins.com/

I may have some stuff left over that might fit you, let me do some checking in the closet in the next day or so.

Howdy Rebel,

I too agree with what Fillmore Coffins says. I used to be 9X so I know about the bigger guys and clothes.

Here are two places that have patterns that go up pretty big. http://www.lafnmoon.com/ and http://www.buckaroobobbins.com/

I may have some stuff left over that might fit you, let me do some checking in the closet in the next day or so.

Thank you very kindly Ruff and to you Fillmore !!

Rebel

You know your a SASS cowboy. The men talk about fashion and the women talk guns

You know your a SASS cowboy. The men talk about fashion and the women talk guns

Or you send me this nice little PM:

Phantom

Your the one who lives in the most backward state in the union teaparty NAZICON. KISS MY A$$

And yes folks, I modified the last word.

Cheers!

Phantom

Howdy Roach,

You are welcome. I am just paying back the kindness and help that others have shown me over the years.

And both King Size Direct and Casual Male XL, have clothes that can be made to work as cowboy.

It all depends on what you persona is.

Or you send me this nice little PM:

Phantom

Your the one who lives in the most backward state in the union teaparty NAZICON. KISS MY A$$

And yes folks, I modified the last word.

Cheers!

Phantom

Thanks for the well thought out PM:

Phantom

Your the one who lives in the most backward state in the union teaparty NAZICON. KISS MY ASS

See ya at EOT!!!

Phantom

Ruff

I did order a couple of henleys from the Casual Male to see if I could make it work. I guess we'll see when they get here. I do like those patterns on those sites!

Oh if my Mom were still alive she was one heck of a seamstress !!

Rebel

Rebel,

Men can sew. I took home ed. in HS and learned. I know several cowboys that sew. When my wife was learning to sew I got her the "Sewing For Dummies" book and van recommend it. Not saying you are a dummy, I love the books, it explains things in easy to understand terms.

Another way to learn to sew and something I have looked into. Check out classes at the local sewing machine/fabric supply store.

Archived