SASS Wire Forum

What shotgun should I get?

thegrievousangel

Gambler,

I use a 97 Norinco/IAC. From that perspective, I'm gona try to give you MY opinion as to why I even think those SKB/BSS shotguns are very well worth the money and may very well be worth 4X as much.

I've been a spotter before at local and big matches where more than once, someone using a NICE cheaper SG had the forearm fall off. I've even witness the forearm and barrels falling off on 2 separate occasions where those 'NICE, cheaper' shotguns became 'His-Tor-riee'.

Now for the money justification:

ya buy the rifle for 1200.

Pistols for 1200

take 3 days off work to attend a big match..... 300 Lodging, 100 gas, 200 food..... I think you get the idea.

Then on the 2nd or 3rd stage of the 1st day of the match............. up jumps the Devil in the form of a broken SG.

And then........ you'll start thinking about calling Johnny Meadows or any of the above mentioned gunsmiths to order that 1200 SG.

When ya get it and open it up, it stays open. Its closed crisply and locks up so tight you'd fee confident facing Godzilla with it... :o

And finally, you've obtained ALL the pieces of the best equipment.....period.

Well, thats just my point of view.

..........Widder

Gambler,

I use a 97 Norinco/IAC. From that perspective, I'm gona try to give you MY opinion as to why I even think those SKB/BSS shotguns are very well worth the money and may very well be worth 4X as much.

I've been a spotter before at local and big matches where more than once, someone using a NICE cheaper SG had the forearm fall off. I've even witness the forearm and barrels falling off on 2 separate occasions where those 'NICE, cheaper' shotguns became 'His-Tor-riee'.

Now for the money justification:

ya buy the rifle for 1200.

Pistols for 1200

take 3 days off work to attend a big match..... 300 Lodging, 100 gas, 200 food..... I think you get the idea.

Then on the 2nd or 3rd stage of the 1st day of the match............. up jumps the Devil in the form of a broken SG.

And then........ you'll start thinking about calling Johnny Meadows or any of the above mentioned gunsmiths to order that 1200 SG.

When ya get it and open it up, it stays open. Its closed crisply and locks up so tight you'd fee confident facing Godzilla with it... :o

And finally, you've obtained ALL the pieces of the best equipment.....period.

Well, thats just my point of view.

..........Widder

+1

And that's the way it is in the west!

You start off with a great piece of Japanese machinery with good steel and excellent craftsmanship, (Google SKB, go to their website and see what their doubles go for these days).

Next, you give it to someone like Johnny Meadows to perform his magic. Full action job, this includes lightening and polishing all internal parts and springs. Disable auto safety and make manual. Polish chambers. Bevel the chambers so they're more like funnels. Cut the stock to fit you correctly and install a Kickezz recoil pad. Cut the barrels and install a large bead. Install "stay open" feature. Convert to mechanical hammers for superior reliability and form the opening lever to SASS maximum angle.

You now have a gun that will never let you down and has an unconditional warranty for workmanship. Your times will drop by 5 seconds immediately over your Stoeger or 97. Yeah, it's worth it.

Fillmore

You start off with a great piece of Japanese machinery with good steel and excellent craftsmanship, (Google SKB, go to their website and see what their doubles go for these days).

Next, you give it to someone like Johnny Meadows to perform his magic. Full action job, this includes lightening and polishing all internal parts and springs.

Disable auto safety and make manual. Polish chambers. Bevel the chambers so their more like funnels. Cut the stock to fit you correctly and install a Kickezz recoil pad. Cut the barrels and install a large bead. Install "stay open" feature. Convert to mechanical hammers for superior reliability and form the opening lever to SASS maximum angle.

You now have a gun that will never let you down and has an unconditional warranty for workmanship. Your times will drop by 5 seconds immediately over your Stoeger or 97. Yeah, it's worth it.

Fillmore

Agreed w/Fillmore. SKB with work by Johnny Meadows. Never look back.........yeah it's worth it.

CBO

There are typically 12-16 SKBs being used on my posse at monthly matches. That's 2/3 to 3/4 of the shooters. In the last couple of years I can only recall 4 SKBs with any reliability issues. The one thing they all have in common is a mechanical mod. (Represented by three different well known smiths)The inertia guns just keep going.

Next, you give it to someone like Johnny Meadows to perform his magic. Full action job, this includes lightening and polishing all internal parts and springs. Disable auto safety and make manual. Polish chambers. Bevel the chambers so they're more like funnels. Cut the stock to fit you correctly and install a Kickezz recoil pad. Cut the barrels and install a large bead. Install "stay open" feature. Convert to mechanical hammers for superior reliability and form the opening lever to SASS maximum angle.

Fillmore

I'll start this by saying im not trying to argue. I haven't been shooting this sport that long and I'm still trying to learn.

Do you really gain that much by using the top end slicked up shoguns?

If so i have to get me one.

As i said earlier i shoot a box stock stoeger. I never could get used to single trigger sxs's. Cutting 5 sec a stage would get me shooting mid teens. So far I'm having trouble breaking under my pr of 17.23 a stage. I'm happy when i shoot under 20

Evil, a couple of years ago I did a comparison of my stoeger and my SKB which are both well tuned by the same gun smith. The skb was consistently faster by .5 second for four shots. The difference grew to 1.5 sec for eight shots. The lighter weight and better balance probably have the most to do with it. The reliability is an added benefit.

Thanks All for the comments

I Finally have all the pieces (gun wise) that I need to compete.

I bought a pair of 357/38 Stainless Ruger new vaqueros with 4.56 barrels (I love them already)

A Modified 1897 Winchester pump chopped to 21" , stock cut to 13" pull, Slicked up and modified to chamber modern length shells,

I also have a Single shot NEF pardner 20 guage

And for Rifle I found a Cheap Interarms/rossi 45LC lever action rifle.

I know the lever action rifle I bought isn't the best but I figure its better than nothing for now, and will get me out shooting

Thanks

Thanks All for the comments

I Finally have all the pieces (gun wise) that I need to compete.

I bought a pair of 357/38 Stainless Ruger new vaqueros with 4.56 barrels (I love them already)

A Modified 1897 Winchester pump chopped to 21" , stock cut to 13" pull, Slicked up and modified to chamber modern length shells,

I also have a Single shot NEF pardner 20 guage

And for Rifle I found a Cheap Interarms/rossi 45LC lever action rifle.

I know the lever action rifle I bought isn't the best but I figure its better than nothing for now, and will get me out shooting

Thanks

SALUTE.

Yep, you are good to go.

Have tons of fun.....and be safe!

..........Widder

Pick your Poision........but a 97 is a hoot to shoot

Archived