SASS Wire Forum

CDL test coming up Tuesday, and I'm nervous!

I don't drive a big rig for a living, never have, and possibly never will, but in my job as a driver license examiner it is required that we pass all the Class A written tests, as well as passenger and school bus endorsements, AND hold a valid MEC. Then we are issued a Class A CDL with a "Training Only" restriction, meaning it's good for nothing but driving your regular car or pickup. So, I thought as long as I was halfway there, I'd take the doubles/triples and tanker endorsement tests, then borrow a rig and learn to drive it. That was a bit of a chore, as folks who happen to have a tractor around have it to make money, not as a status symbol in the driveway. Anyway, I've managed to borrow a tractor for the past 3 weeks, plus a trailer on the weekends, and have been practicing all over my place with it. I believe I could nearly do the three parts* of the test in my sleep at this point, but I'm still growing more nervous as the date approaches. :P

* Pre-trip inspection, skills test (straight line backing, offset backing, 90° alley dock, parallel parking), and drive test.

If I pass the test Tuesday, I'll be into a full Class A CDL, excepting hazmat, for under $400, and that ain't bad! Just diesel, replace a cracked windshield and clearance light on the tractor, and a couple lights on the trailer. :)

When I got the trailer home last night, I finally checked the registration to the license plate and found it had the wrong plate on it! :blink: I called the manager of the business at home and he met me at the equipment yard in town where we finally found the correct plate on the front bumper of a 3/4t service pickup! Apparently the wrong plate has been on the trailer for YEARS, go figure. :wacko:

While taking the test DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES think to yourself, "My entire future is riding on this test!" Dang, I wish smilies were enabled on this computer, so I could show you I'm just joshing with you. :lol:

Well dang if it didn't work Tyrel. Learn somethin' every day. :)

Good luck! I'm betting you'll do great!

While taking the test DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES think to yourself, "My entire future is riding on this test!" Dang, I wish smilies were enabled on this computer, so I could show you I'm just joshing with you.

Pulp if you quote this post you should see the letter/symbol combinations that you can then type in to display smileys.

colonlolcolon = :lol:
colonD = :D
colonP = :P
semicolon) = ;)
colon o = :o
colonhuh = :huh:
^underscore^ = ^_^
colon) = :)

You got this JBB...I'm sure you'll do fine. Take a deep breath and drive it like you stole it :D

Held a Class "A" with all the paper for over 30+ years.

Drove anything/everything with wheels on it.

My CDL was a 'tuff' test and I worked very hard to stay on top. Chang'n laws was a PITA to stay up with sometimes.

Have to do a HS background CK now for 'Tanker/HAZ-MAT' endorsement.

Spent allot of time haul'n Class 1.1 explosives for Uncle Sugar's boyz--

Here in Ca. for a school bus endorsment(I had one)you had a ride along of a CHP instructor.

Also-You have to have a manual tranny endorsement, or your stuck with an auto box.

LG

Montana doesn't have a manual transmission endorsement, and I've often wondered if a Montana CDL holder transferred his license to another state that DID have the endorsement, do they require he pass their testing for the endorsement?

In my brief stint as a long haul trucker I carried all the endorsements except passenger. Told my instructor I had no desire to haul any cargo that could talk back! :lol:

In the 8 months I drove before CHF kicked me to the curb, managed to cover over 80000 miles driving the 11 western states. I was more nervous with the pre-trip inspection part of the test than the driving test. One guy in our class aced the pre-trip and driving test, that is until he went to pull in the yard at the DMV at the end and clipped the fence. :blink:

As a current CDL instructor and CDL Tester all I can say is "relax"!!! and you will be just fine.

Most of those who have practiced properly will find the test easier than the practice.

Since you are already an examiner you already knew that didn't you? :)

Most who do not pass our test usually struggle with the pretrip due to a lack of study or hit a curb during the drive portion.

Only had a few who botched the basic control (backing) so badly that they did not qualify.

There is an "automatic only restriction" coming but I am pretty sure the implementation date is July 1, 2014 so we are seeing a lot of people taking tests now so they can be "grandfathered" when it becomes official.

There are also some medical restrictions coming into play May 21 you may want to look into as well.

Also I have been doing a little training in Michigan and New York with instructors from North Carolina and New York so it is interesting to see how the different states have slightly different testing requirements. Would love to hear what all is required in your state

Regards and good luck

Gateway Kid

PS Lumpy has it correct on the retest when you transfer residency

I don't think I'll have any problem with any part of it, but it's human nature to be nervous over a test. :P

On a full form pre-trip, there are 90 possible points and I can top 85 every time, with only 67 needed to pass. It's really kind of funny the ones I miss... for instance, I had a friend scoring me yesterday and today and scored 89/90 both times, missing the damn horn button both times!

Skills test consists of straight line backing through an alley of cones 12' apart for 100', offset backing into a 40' alley, and 90° alley dock into the 40' alley, stopping the rear of the trailer in a 3' deep box at the end of the line of cones. There is 75' of maneuvering room in front of the cones for the Class A alley dock. One free pullup for straight line backing, two each for offset backing and alley dock. Additional pullups in each exercise are scored one point each. Boundary encroachments are scored two points each. You get one "look" on the straight line backing, and two on each of the other two. Final position is ten points. Thirteen points max for the three exercises. I can usually do it with zero points, but on a bad day, I've scored as many as six. One or two is about average.

Here, you get an AB restriction on your license until you can pass the air brake portion, which pretty much puts an end to driving a Class B or Class A rig until you can pass it and get the restriction lifted.

I don't think I'll have any problem with any part of it, but it's human nature to be nervous over a test. :P

On a full form pre-trip, there are 90 possible points and I can top 85 every time, with only 67 needed to pass. It's really kind of funny the ones I miss... for instance, I had a friend scoring me yesterday and today and scored 89/90 both times, missing the damn horn button both times!

Skills test consists of straight line backing through an alley of cones 12' apart for 100', offset backing into a 40' alley, and 90° alley dock into the 40' alley, stopping the rear of the trailer in a 3' deep box at the end of the line of cones. There is 75' of maneuvering room in front of the cones for the Class A alley dock. One free pullup for straight line backing, two each for offset backing and alley dock. Additional pullups in each exercise are scored one point each. Boundary encroachments are scored two points each. You get one "look" on the straight line backing, and two on each of the other two. Final position is ten points. Thirteen points max for the three exercises. I can usually do it with zero points, but on a bad day, I've scored as many as six. One or two is about average.

Thanks for the update. Learning is a good thing.

Here a candidate will always do an in cab inspection/brake check, complete external light check, and coupling inspection.

then depending on the luck of the draw they will inspect engine/general appearance or driver entry area to rear of tractor or full trailer inspection.

Depending on which inspection they do possible point value is 101-103 with 81-83 as a pass. Once the brake check has at least one test complete the remaining tests are points only. Forget to do the brake check and we are done right there.

Basic control is forward stop/straight back - put front bumper in 2 foot box after movement of 70 feet (vehicle length) then remove vehicle from lane and back for 100 feet with cones at 10' intervals.

Offset to left or right based on random draw from a lane = vehicle length + 10 feet with 2x vehicle length to maneuver.

Then either parallel to conventional side, parallel to sight side or 90 degree alley dock based on random draw. Parallels are vehicle length + 15', alley dock is 40' long with 70 feet to maneuver from lead edge of cones

Pullups are always 1 pt, encroachments over cones or boundry are 2 pt, if exercise has a rear location (parallels or alley dock - 3ft box) then 1 pt if not in, full vehicle not in defined area 1 pt.

One get out and look free, 2nd costs 2 pt, 3rd not allowed. Passing score is 12 or fewer points

Drive is approx. 16 miles with 22 grading points each with 10-21 criteria equaling 275 potential errors. Passing score is 25 or fewer errors.

Again thanks for the update

Good Luck!!!

regards

Gateway Kid

The test went well. I drew a "Form C" which is just the trailer + in-cab & brake tests. I scored 45 out of 47 on pre-trip (35 or more is passing on a Form C), 0 on skills (12 or less is passing), and 8 on the drive (30 or less is passing).

Total cost - $239.58 for red diesel (the tractor is owned by a fire department and is exempt) - the tank wasn't full when I borrowed it, but I topped it off when I took it back, so I didn't burn $239.58 worth, just being a good neighbor. ;) $25.51 for some lights on both the tractor & trailer, $29.97 for a 5lb fire extinguisher, and $175 for a new windshield because of a small crack that the examiner said was a no-go and the FD had no plans to replace it.

Total: $470.06, and that's quite a bargain for a Class A CDL. :)

Good job J Bar.

Gateway-Do you require a 'tug' of the trailer before hook'n the airlines up?

Gotta do that here in Ca.

What's some of the new medical, you speak of?

LG

Personally I think that is a good idea (and what our school teaches) but the tug is only required as a part of the trailer spring brake test (which occurs after the rig is hooked and ready to go)

May 21 your DOT medical examiner (in my case my personal physician) will have to acquire a national registry number - (NRCME) for some reason FMCSA does not feel that a doctor who has been practicing for years is qualified to perform a DOT physical without being registered. :wacko:

Under the registry plan your physician would keep the original long form of your DOT physical for 3 years minimum, you or a potential employer could get a copy of that. If certified there is a new card format that is supposed to be nationwide identical. Currently they issue you the long form for your records.

Here in CO our medical cards are already tied to the CDL and if the med card expires your CDL could be suspended to a type "R" standard drivers license and you would have 30 days to obtain a new one. Failure to do so would require a complete retest to reacquire your CDL (with a new medical card). Ultimately this is supposed to remove the need to carry your paper medical card but as of this morning that is still a requirement

Those drivers whose neckline measurement is greater than 18" will have to show that they do NOT have sleep apnea by a sleep study. No statement from FMCSA on who pays for the study - employer or employee. Once diagnosed with apnea the driver must agree to continued monitoring via sleep study to retain their medical certification - recommended on a yearly basis.

A sidebar to this is there is possibly going to be a requirement that those who use CPAP type machines will have to obtain a machine that records time used, pressure level and when during a 24 hour period it was used to verify uninterrupted treatment. Again no statement who pays for that type machine or when the recording will be required or who will have access.

Those drivers who do show signs of apnea will have to participate is "drowsiness" studies which measure their wakefulness index. At this point in time my physician is unaware of any accurate scientific test of just how wakeful you are, to many variables such as age, exertion level of your job, mental state (are you in a good/bad mood), time of last resting period (and how long) alcohol/drug use, time of previous meal before test etc, etc.

If you are in the mood for some light reading check out http://nrcme.fmcsa.dot.gov

it is about 260 pages. I am pretty sure the physicians handbook has more info but it is not organized by what is new - what is not http://fmcsa.dot.gov

There is more

all the best

Gateway

We have had that med card tie-in deal here for years. Still carry a med-card.

If your card expires, you have 30 days to renew your med or your CDL is suspended.

Interesting stuff about the neck size deal. :blink:

Yup-my family Doc is my DOT Doc also ^_^

THX. for your time!!

LG

I hadn't thought about the med card deal Lumpy. Since my CHF kicked me out of the drivers seat about a month before I was to renew my med card, I never gave it any thought since I wasn't going to be driving commercially again. Does that mean when I renew my license in 2016 I'll get a Class C instead of the A?

I hadn't thought about the med card deal Lumpy. Since my CHF kicked me out of the drivers seat about a month before I was to renew my med card, I never gave it any thought since I wasn't going to be driving commercially again. Does that mean when I renew my license in 2016 I'll get a Class C instead of the A?

Bet if you ckeck your CDL, it's 'invalid' due to medical reasons. You should be GTG for class 'C' stuff.

I would ck with DMV-PDQ. I seen things get screwed up.

BTW-With Ca./CDL, if you are delinquent on child support payments. Your CDL, is suspended..

LG

So J Bar...does that mean you quit the job you had or is it a different part of that job? And congratulations on passing the test.

Nope, still there, but this might very well open some doors in the future. :)

I got so wrapped up in getting this done, I let you down on that other thing you asked me to do. :(

I got so wrapped up in getting this done, I let you down on that other thing you asked me to do. :(

Sorry J bar for not saying in my other post - got home late and was not thinking

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

on a job well done

Respectfully

Gateway Kid

No problem.

Archived