SASS Wire Forum

Found Powder - Yeah

Swift Stoney 49735

Just happened to go to a local business that I used to buy cast bullets from and he had a 5 lb jug of Trail Boss and an 8 lb jug of something called Promo. We all know everything that Trail Boss can be used for, what I did not know was the multitude of uses for Promo. It seems it has the exact same burn rate as Red Dot and according to the man I spoke with, it is an exact substitute. I am going to give it a try for some low recoil shotgun loads and see what happens. If I run out of Tite Group I will give it a whirl in my 38s as well.

Anyone else out there had any experience with Promo?

You should buy a lottery ticket TODAY. :lol:

Promo is supposed to be just like CLAYS and CLAY DOT too.

I have not used it yet but have 2 pounds in reserve.

Getting down to the last of the Clays, so the reserve is gonna get tapped pretty soon.

Waimea

:FlagAm:

When loading Promo you can use the Red Dot loading data directly.

BUT when changing from one to the other make sure that you use the loading data by weight.

Do not use the same volume of one for the other.

Red Dot is heavier than Promo and will drop a heavier charge if you use Promo volume to drop Red Dot.

If you use Clays for shotgun rounds and you like it, you can use the exact same setup for Promo.

Promo is Red Dot without the "fluff".

Promo is denser than Red Dot. For the same volume you'll get a heavier charge.

Always measure the two by weight, never volume.

Red Dot/Promo is a very fast burning powder, around "7" on the burn rate chart.

I use Red Dot in my Main Match Rifle loads and have started working up some pistol loads. With pistol loads you can feel the quickness of the burn in the recoil as it will give you a quick jolt as opposed to long push.

It does not work well with .45 Colt Long Range rounds. At max charge they don't even keep up with Winchester Factory Cowboy loads.

It's a bit on the dirty side especially with light loads.

I actually found/bought an entire case of Red Dot (10x1#') yesterday. My partner found 5lbs of Unique at the same place. It looks like some Alliant Powders are starting to get to the distributors again.

Archived