SASS Wire Forum

Need BP lube recipe for hot weather use

Mad Dog McGee

Fellow Soot Lords, I've been using Pearl Lube with great success , but I'd like to make something that's not as messy. As I live in S. FL. it gets hot down here and the lube flows too easy .

Anyone got any hot temp recipes that they would like to share ?

I'll be using my Lyman Lubesizer. Thanks in advance! MDM

Black Powder ALL the WAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MDM,

I don't lube my bullets, but I soak my wool wads in a 50/50 beeswax and Crisco (pure vegetable). I live in Northeast Ohio so it does not get too hot and humid around here compare to Southern Florida. Although at times during a shoot that I left out my ammo case full of BP (the real BP) ammo under the sun and no problem going bang.

9 parts beeswax, 6 parts microcrystalline wax, 3 parts synthetic 2 stroke oil. I just lubed some bullets and it was 90 in the shop and it worked fine, no mess. NASA is good too. .

I have been using 50/50 of bees wax and crisco for years. Lubes great and is easy to make. It gets to the high 90s around here (Raleigh, NC) and never had a problem.

Lead Foot

Plus one again for Crisco and bees wax as a lube for hot & dry.

I have been adding a little anhydrous lanoline lately for our hot dry weather out here and it seems to hold better in my 44 WCF Big Lube bullets. & real black.

I have switched to something about 50% beeswax, 40% crisco, 10% canola oil.

I am getting better results getting them out of the cake (pan lubing).

And I have recently switched to local beeswax.

I am getting better results as far as keeing fouling wet with this setup that I had with using commercially available beeswax.

Don't know how/if they are processing it or mixing in with it, but I really like good, 100%, local beeswax better than that other stuff.

Commercial - Bullshop NASA Lube

Home Brew - 40% Mutton Tallow - 40% Paraffin - 20% Beeswax or Microcrystalline Wax

Has worked for two summers in Central Florida. No migration toward powder and nice lube ring at muzzle of 24" 44-40 barrel.

AR

Archived