SASS Wire Forum

Digital Chronicle?...Not so much!

Rancho Roy

Well, I opened the PDF and it has taken me an hour to simply browse through 30 pages.

It started out rather quick.....But around page 25 it slowed right down. Now it is taking about a minute to load each page.

I tried to get my local newspaper digitally and my NRA magazine in a digital format and had to change back to paper.

I like sitting in my big old easy chair and holding a magazine or paper in my hands. Much more relaxing after a hard days work than sitting in front of a computer at my desk (Where I've been for the last ten hours!)

I'm not sure why, but this technology is just not "there" yet.

I'm on a very fast cable modem broadband with a very fast two year old PC. I can load and manipulate huge files for work and download movies from Amazon in a blink. This whole PDF thing is still an issue for large publications like this.

"Paper Please!"

Did you save it to your machine? Or are you trying to read it in the browser without downloading?

Don't get me wrong I despise the digital version and will pay extra as long as I can for the hard copy.

Six horse team done now...... :P

I tried it both ways......It is faster to download, but still slow.

Could it be because everyone got the email at the same time and we all tried to download at once?

If so, they should stage the announcement to 10,000 folks every half hour or so?

I just went back to the downloaded version and it is running much faster now...............But still tough to reed on my screen. I have to enlarge it and then move the copy around to read it.

I need to go out into the shop and get my magnifying spectacles............. :)

I live off the beaten path and have to have satellite internet. Unfortunately this means I have a bandwidth limit. I will keep paying for the paper version as well.

I must be the only one that likes the new format, I find the pdf format very easy to use.

+1

I tried it also and it's difficult to read and navigate through the pages. It's slow and I have an I-Mac and I'm on a fast cable modem. Waiting for the paper copy.

Rye :)

I tried it also and it's difficult to read and navigate through the pages. It's slow and I have an I-Mac and I'm on a fast cable modem. Waiting for the paper copy.

Rye :)

Well Rye....there's yore problem....get rid of that boat anchor of an I-Mac and get yoreself a reeeeeeel 'puter running that new fangled osfrikatin' sistern Winders 8 pernt 2 :D :D :D:lol:

Yea, got mine yesterday, kind of a bummer. Took just 5-7 minutes to download but the problem I have is when I want to go to a vendors site and click on it, takes me out of the paper to that site. When through with that site and click back to the paper it takes me back to page 1. Now if I was on page 50, I have to go and find page 50 all over again. Wish it would open a new tab so that I would not loose my place. Maybe, which probably I am doing something wrong. Oh well, when I renew this month will go ahead and order the paper copy frog-gone it. :( I missed the trail-marker page and when finished had to go back to the page that had it listed, then find that page all over again. Much easier and quicker with a real paper.

I have no problems with SASS needing to run "lean and mean" cause every business has to do that these days just to get by. BUT ... surely, there are other items that could go. Or, simply raise the dues $5.00. I've always looked forward to the chronicle too ... but suspect I won't spend the time to fool with it electronically.

Yea, got mine yesterday, kind of a bummer. Took just 5-7 minutes to download but the problem I have is when I want to go to a vendors site and click on it, takes me out of the paper to that site. When through with that site and click back to the paper it takes me back to page 1. Now if I was on page 50, I have to go and find page 50 all over again. Wish it would open a new tab so that I would not loose my place. Maybe, which probably I am doing something wrong. Oh well, when I renew this month will go ahead and order the paper copy frog-gone it. :( I missed the trail-marker page and when finished had to go back to the page that had it listed, then find that page all over again. Much easier and quicker with a real paper.

Smoken D.....I investigated a little regarding your problem and may have a solution for you. This morning I downloaded the entire PDF file and then closed out of my browser...that would be Internet Explorer or Firefox or Google Chrome....whatever you use. I then used Windows Explorer to navigate to the directory where my downloads were stored and then double clicked on the pdf file that I had downloaded. This opened the pdf version of the Chronicle up in Adobe Acrobat Reader. I went into the document about 1/4th of the way and then clicked on one of the ads so I could go to their website. After I clicked on the link a new window opened up with my browser and I was at the vendors website. After I looked around on the vendors website I closed the browser and went right back to the Chronicle in the Acrobat Reader program and it was still at the same place.

I think what you are doing is reading the pdf version of the Chronicle in your internet browser program and this is causing you to be taken back to page 1 of the Chronicle each time. After you download the pdf version of the Chronicle you should just close the browser program and use the regular Adobe Acrobat Reader program to read the Chronicle. Then you won't have to navigate through the Chronicle between looking at vendor's websites.

Hope this helps,

Kajun

Although I too miss the hard copy, I am going to try to give the digital version a fair shake. Downloading the PDF to my PC and then scrolling through it off-line seems to be the best way. It is pleasing it see the ads and photos in color...

HOWEVER, it is quite annoying to have the text nice and sharp, but the photos and graphics are very pixely.

Capture.JPG

Posting the PDF on the SASS server at a higher resolution to improve the quality would be a welcome change.

Dutch....I downloaded the pdf this morning and I saw your post above. I did a search and found that picture on P. 44. I kept increasing the magnification of the picture to match the pixelation of what you posted and it got there 1,600 percent zoom.....in effect blowing up the picture 16 times. I don't know what resolution the picture was published at but zooming in that much and expecting to have a clear picture would require publishing at a much higher resolution. This would make the pdf version of the Chronicle really huge. This month's pdf file is 22.6 mg. There is a trade-off in higher resolution vs. file size. If they made the file size a lot larger then the download times would get proportionately longer...this means more folks griping. All in all I think SASS has a pretty good balance of resolution and file size.

One thing you might can do if you would like to get that particular picture in a higher resolution would be to contact the author, in this case Capt. George Baylor and maybe he can email it to you some how. It is a busy picture and there is some good detail in that picture that would be helpful if one was trying to replicate cylinder loading set up as shown in the picture.

Kajun

I go to: http://www.sassnet.com/CCArchive.php

go down to the month spelled out not the Click here to view the most recent digital issue.

that gives me a pdf that I can scroll down and not have to turn pages. Much better for me than the page turner copy

cr

Kajun,

As it turns out, I think it is more the combination of PC video card quality now! The screen shot from my earlier post I took off my PC at work while viewing in Adobe Reader, full page (120%). After reading your post I got to thinking, so I pulled it up on my home PC and the difference is night and day! Guess I need to quit reading it during lunch, and set aside time in the evening at home to enjoy it better!

Keep up the good work SASS, please ignore my previous post!

I must be the only one that likes the new format, I find the pdf format very easy to use.

Nope, you're not the only one. I much prefer to read off paper.........usually. When I first tried the online Chronicle I was very pleasantly surprised. I like it a lot.

Well Rye....there's yore problem....get rid of that boat anchor of an I-Mac and get yoreself a reeeeeeel 'puter running that new fangled osfrikatin' sistern Winders 8 pernt 2 :D :D :D:lol:

No the problem is not my Mac…. it was me. I figured it out and it comes through nice and clear and probably way better than whatever piece of crap PC you have!!! :P Apple rules!!! ;)

I did get my paper copy yesterday and I'll have it with my coffee in the morning, thank you! :lol:

I like sitting in my big old easy chair and holding a magazine or paper in my hands.

That's why I have my laptop in my easy chair. I can read the Chronicle, or the Wire, and watch TV too. Maverick (movie) is on right now.

Try right-clicking on the link, and select "Open in new Window", or "open in new tab". That will open the vendor's site in a new browser window or tab and leave your original view intact.

Laz

I go to: http://www.sassnet.com/CCArchive.php

go down to the month spelled out not the Click here to view the most recent digital issue.

that gives me a pdf that I can scroll down and not have to turn pages. Much better for me than the page turner copy

cr

What CR said. I love the PDF digital copy; the other digital version, not so much.

Laz

I'm starting to like it. Taking the desktop into the terlit to read the Chronical kinda stinks.......... :wacko: No, but seriously. I thought it would be neat if I saw myself in there someday. Turns out iffin I do it will be because I'm Kaya's pa. ;) Her pic is in there. With the electronic copy we can now save it and send it to folks. I miss the paper version but it's time I got with the times.

Archived