SASS Wire Forum

Nebraska Governor's Race

StirrupTrouble

I was asked to share some research I had completed regarding the upcoming governor's race (primary actually, but whoever wins the primary is pretty much guaranteed the win in November). I hope this is useful for those in Nebraska as we try to elect someone who will look out for our rights:

Jon Bruning

• Strong conservative and states strong policy statement regarding Second Amendment: “The right to bear arms guaranteed under the Constitution of the United States of America should never be compromised. As a lifelong hunter and lifetime endowment member of the NRA, I’m a staunch supporter of the Second Amendment. I’m proud to have consistently earned an A+ rating for my support of the NRA, and as Attorney General, I’ve defended conceal carry and handgun rights in court. “
  • Likes to spend money, and has made some enemies in legislature. Might struggle in working with legislature, even among own party.
  • Warning sign: his conservative views appear to be a result of a metamorphosis. In college he had liberal views: But as a law student at the University of Nebraska almost two decades ago, a younger Bruning was critical of the NRA, supportive of gays to serve as Boy Scout leaders and unabashedly in favor of a woman's right to choose an abortion
  • Previous stance on gun rights: "I believe in gun control. I think the National Rifle Association is wrong in supporting hollow-pointed bullets and every other device created purely for killing humans that has ever been invented. Their premise that a ban on any type of gun or ammunition will eventually limit those of us who want to hunt wild game is ridiculous. I love to hunt and I plan to do so throughout my lifetime. There is no need, however, for a porcelain handgun or armor-piercing bullet when I'm trying to bring down a pheasant or a goose. If the government wanted to ban shotguns, I'd be the first one in line to protest. Many types of handguns and ammunition, however, need to be regulated."
  • Anyone can change, but sometimes I wonder if he is as interested in rights as he is in headlines. Would he have remained liberal if he lived in California?

Tom Carlson

• Hard to tell stance on any issues. Says the right thing, but all policy statements are relegated to simple one line statements suited for a bumper sticker, not policy statements.
  • Official statement on site: “I am a strong advocate of the 2nd Amendment and am a member of the NRA.”

Mike Foley

• Seems to support Second Amendment rights, but when interviewed and asked about it, seemed detached as if he was just saying it and not feeling it.
  • Voted in favor of our concealed carry law when in legislature.
  • Official statement on site: “This includes our Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms for our personal and communal safety and the protection of our liberties. As state senator Mike supported Nebraska’s current concealed carry law. As governor he will continue to protect these Constitutional rights.”

Beau McCoy

• Strong NRA member and Second Amendment reference on front page of Website
  • Strong statement regarding gun rights: “Beau is an avid supporter of the Second Amendment and will do everything possible to protect every Nebraskan's legal right to keep and bear arms. He believes that every law abiding citizen has a fundamental right to own whatever gun he or she chooses. As a member of the National Rifle Association, Beau will continue to oppose any effort to restrict such ownership or additional registration requirements.”
  • Kind of cocky in interviews, but seems very strong on gun rights.

Pete Ricketts

• No stated plans in policy statement plans regarding Second Amendment
  • Generic statement on the “About Us” page: “Pete supports our constitutional right to bear arms and supports Nebraska’s conceal carry law.” – Kind of generic and concerned no policy plans. Feels like platitudes
  • Lot of outside money and outside endorsements

Bryan Slone

• Focus on taxes and fiscal issues. No policy statement on the Second Amendment-Red flag

If anyone needs any of my deeper research, let me know and I will pass it on to you. I hope this is useful

Thank you very much for the information. The different commercials make it hard to really determine what to pay attention to. I need to find some good information from their websites to help out. It seems some of them are afraid to say they like guns.

Archived