SASS Wire Forum

CBC Brass

MBFields

Trying to reload and when seating bullet the brass kinks about 1/3 way up. This is once fired, cleaned. Came from magtech factory ammo. Has anyone else had this issue? My starline works fine. Loading 110 gr and 125 gr and does not matter which, does the same thing.

Yes is flared same as starline by eyeing it. I not sure what neck sizing for FL is? Yes 38 spl.

I suppose you are talking about .38 special brass?

I load lots of CBC brass in .38 special (and .45 Colt, and .45 auto) and it loads great for me.

I'd ditto the expansion of the case mouth. You should be able to, with fingers and also with a close up visual inspection, detect that you have belled the case mouth. And you should be able to set a slug on the mouth and see that a few thousandth's of the base of the bullet drops down just by the weight of bullet into the expanded mouth. If ANY edge of your slug up hangs up on the case mouth wall, though, you are not expanding enough.

Are you using a combined seat/crimp step? Is the CBC perhaps slightly longer than the starline and the case mouth gets jammed into the driving band above the crimp groove, thus causing the case to collapse?

Got any pics?

There are a couple of brands of .38 special brass that is really bad, but CBC/Magtech is not one of them, in my experience.

Good luck, GJ

Was paying attention to that I thought as would see bullet barely drop into case. I will double check flare. May need a bit more?

CBC brass has a cannelure doesn't it? My earlier pair of '51 Richards-Masons apparently has tight chambers and will not chamber ammo I have reloaded using brass with a cannelure. The same ammo fits fine in my later pair of '51 R-M's.

CBC brass has a cannelure doesn't it? My earlier pair of '51 Richards-Masons apparently has tight chambers and will not chamber ammo I have reloaded using brass with a cannelure. The same ammo fits fine in my later pair of '51 R-M's.

Nope, never seen a CBC case cannelured.

Looked over Midway's catalog. There may be one type of 125 grain JHP ammo that they show with a cannelure - photo pretty grainy. The rest of Magtech .38 special ammo is NOT cannelured.

Want some other opinions from serious shooters about CBC brass?

http://smith-wessonforum.com/reloading/170804-cbc-headstamped-38-special-brass.html

(Almost all of the remarks are that it is good to great.)

Great thoughts. Will check out tomorrow. The flare seemed same as starline brass as I did a lot of comparing. Tried to not set bullet as deep and did not matter. Kind of stumped. I am using a Dillon 650.

NOT a SINGLE ISSUE with loading it for me. Loading and reloaded it many times.

Interesting part is that loaded 3-400 rounds of "practice brass", all sorts of diff brands and would only see that kink on some that had been shot 2-4 times and then maybe only half a dozen or so.

I use CBC brass almost exclusively for my .45 Colt cowboy loads (750 fps 200 grain bullets from the pistol). I find that this brass is thinner than Starline and thus seals up a bit better in my rifle's generous chamber. I have had no problems with the brass that were not of my own making.

Good suggestions to check to make sure the flaring of the case mouth is correct, too much or too little will cause problems with any brass. Also check the crimp to make sure it is not too much as this will also cause case crumpling.

I save all of my Starline brass for long range rifle loads and other full power uses.

Archived