SASS Wire Forum

NH's SB244 is "DEAD" R.I.P.

Six-Shot

I just got back from the NH House session. As one legislator put it . . . "you can't make a bad bill better".

What originally started out as an anti-gun bill (SB 244) to have involuntary mentally adjudicated persons entered into the NICS (National Instant background Check System) without "due process" on the sole word of a psychiatrist or mental health clinician with a provision to annul temporaily mentally deficient people in order to get NH pro-gun organizarions on-board. When that failed the sponsor of the bill offered an amendment to turn the bill into a firearms study committee which was soundly rebuffed and removed by the Senate and sent on to the House Judiciary Committee with only the annulment language intact with a recommendation of OTP (Ought To Pass). The House Judiciary Committee held a public hearing on the remaining bill as it was at which time I testified that even if the State of NH were to pass such a bill to annul temporarily mentally deficient people there would be no guarantee that the Feds would honor such an annulment based on the Federal NICS statute requiring anyone to disclose whether they had ever been adjudicated mentally incompetent in order to purchase a firearm. From all the testimony I heard at the hearing no one on either side was thrilled or motivated to pass this bill so today the entire House of Representatives voted ITL (Inexpedient To Legislate) and "killed" it. May it rest in peace or burn in hell forever!

Archived