SASS Wire Forum

tumbler media question

Used to use Lyman treated corn cob stuff - switched to harbor Freight fine walnut. Seems to take too long to clean up the BP cases 'decent'. Saw on a couple forums that ceramic media is real good for the black powder cases - what are ya'lls thoughts...thanks.

scroll down on the link to 'CERAMIC MEDIA KITS. Dave Maurer'

http://www.arizonasharpshooters.com/1794.html

GG ~ :FlagAm:

sounds like a wet tumbling method. I've heard that they work but don't do as well as stainless steel pins. I've tried both and pins seem to get into primer pockets much better than the ceramic media.

I went with a kit form STM and haven't looked back.

good luck on your choice,

cr

Couple of very long running threads were on here for what seemed like a year of "discussion" a month ago on both ceramics and stainless pins for wet tumbling.

There are vocal proponents of using either of those wet media, but it does take a sealed tumbling drum because you are working with liquids to keep the media moving around. And you have to separate and dry the brass after.

If your fine walnut hulls are not cutting it, so to speak, go to a coarser walnut media (like Lizard Litter), add a cap of paint thinner and a cap of auto polish to the walnut hulls. You get a lot better cleaning action doing that.

You are using some soap and water to clean the BP residue off before tumbling those BP cases, I suppose? And not waiting a couple of days for the fouling to really bite into the brass?

Good luck, GJ

I have both the steel pins and the ceramic. Still undecided as to which is best. Ceramic seems to clean the outside of the case quicker but the steel pins clean the inside and the primer pockets better.

Both are used in a rotary wet tumbler.

Couple of very long running threads were on here for what seemed like a year of "discussion" a month ago on both ceramics and stainless pins for wet tumbling.

There are vocal proponents of using either of those wet media, but it does take a sealed tumbling drum because you are working with liquids to keep the media moving around. And you have to separate and dry the brass after.

If your fine walnut hulls are not cutting it, so to speak, go to a coarser walnut media (like Lizard Litter), add a cap of paint thinner and a cap of auto polish to the walnut hulls. You get a lot better cleaning action doing that.

You are using some soap and water to clean the BP residue off before tumbling those BP cases, I suppose? And not waiting a couple of days for the fouling to really bite into the brass?

Good luck, GJ

Yes. Crazy Mingo got me into the habit of dumping my brass in a soapy solution after each stage.

GG

Hey Gunner,

I switched over to the wet tumbler and stainless pins a couple months ago and I wont be going back... No dust, cleans BP brass to near new, even some of the old stuff I had laying around came out great. I bought the Rebel kit online came with everything you need. drop me a line if you want more info.

Best regards,

Chili

All I use is Dave's media.

Here is the rotary I would look'n at if I didn't already have one.

http://www.stainlesstumblingmedia.com/extreme-tumblers-rebel-17.html

Get Dave's 'kit' with both sizes of media and 'soap'.

LG

LG

Wow! That's one bad a@@ tumbler. Will look into it.... Thanks ;)

GG

Any concerns about an explosion?

Hasn't yet, but then, I set the vibratory bowl outside. Keeps the dust out of the garage king sized loading room.

I DID quit using naptha for that. Thinner is a lot less explosive. :lol: (See---- just gums!)

GJ

GG about 2# of steel BB or similar sized steel shot also helps a lot.

I use Lizard Litter from Petsmart for both BP and smokeless fouled cases. It works great. Of course if you are anal about having shiny cases then this won't be good enough for you. Me I ain't in to shiny. They are clean, but still stained from BP. I kinda like the tarnished look and it doesn't hurt anything. So since clean is all you need for resizing, I'm happy with the walnut media and a $50.00 Lyman vibratory tumbler.

LG

Thanks for the link, just bought a kit with the tumbler, media, and separator!

I can't see adding to my reloading time. Wet tumbling you have to deprime and then clean. No thanks. I have very little dust with my setup. My lead levels are around 20 and I have been doing this for 15+ years. And yes bright shinny cases are not on the top of my list.

BullSkinner: Put in a bit of auto paint swirl remover and not only will it get rid of the dust but the cases will be as shiny or shinier on the outside than any wet media. I only use my rotary with SS pins when I get a batch that is really tarnished on the outside, otherwise I find it to take too much time.

I can't see adding to my reloading time. Wet tumbling you have to deprime and then clean. No thanks. I have very little dust with my setup. My lead levels are around 20 and I have been doing this for 15+ years. And yes bright shinny cases are not on the top of my list.

Why do you have to deprime before wet tumbling ?? I have been wet tumbling for 10 years and have never deprimed before tumbling

Why do you have to deprime before wet tumbling ?? I have been wet tumbling for 10 years and have never deprimed before tumbling

When I looked into this 3 years ago that's what all the critics where saying. You are the first that I have heard of that says they don't deprime. Still seems like more work than my media tumbler. Who know maybe someday I will venture that direction.

Thanks Shoer for the info

When I looked into this 3 years ago that's what all the critics where saying. You are the first that I have heard of that says they don't deprime. Still seems like more work than my media tumbler. Who know maybe someday I will venture that direction.

Thanks Shoer for the info LOL I never heard it but then I don't much care what the critics or experts say

It's a good thing to do when you shoot BP, to clean out the pockets.

LG

BP is all I have shot in 12 years, I almost quit SASS before I started shooting BP, because I was having no fun. I didn't like trying to go fast and trying to take first place. I started my youngest in this game on BP 11 years ago. I even started my oldest son and his girl friend in this game 2 months ago on BP. Where I live now leaves a hard water satin (don't know what else to call it)on my brass so after I wet tumble I run it through some dry media after it drys.

That's just what I was blaming it on, it only started after I moved into town and the water is the only thing that has changed

BullSkinner: Put in a bit of auto paint swirl remover and not only will it get rid of the dust but the cases will be as shiny or shinier on the outside than any wet media. I only use my rotary with SS pins when I get a batch that is really tarnished on the outside, otherwise I find it to take too much time.

Hey Slim, thanks for the tip. I'll try it.

Have you started on Pineridge Jack's(Jack Fearn) order yet? Some of them 44s are for me and I'm about out of yer Big Lubes with the Illinois State Shoot comin' in June. No pressure, heh, heh. ;):D

Archived