SASS Wire Forum

trying to plant with laurel and hardy the elephant

Trigger Mike

I tilled and laid my rows and when I went to put out the seed my 2 and 4 year old wanted to help. That was great, I thought to myself, I can get done before the rain storm comes. The 4 year old does reasonably well putting seed in, he just forgets to cover it. So they come to me and beg for seed. I give it to them. The two year old holds out her hand so I drop two seeds and she immediately moves her hand out of the way and then can't find the dropped seed. I point them out to her and then the two year old plants beside the row instead of in it, and covers it up gingerly. The 4 year old plants his in the row, but spaces them feet apart instead of inches. After doing a couple of rows I began to realize my remaining rows had disappeared. It seems some elephants (of the two and four year old child kind)must have run all over them and they were now gone from view, I really noticed it when my 2 year old got some seed and said, "WAIT. Where's the garden?"

Those memories will last much longer and be far more valuable than the vegetables you may or may not get out of the garden. :D

+1000

The best garden I ever had, was planted with the help of my daughters at about the same age. Rows weren't straight, was a tad hard to weed and cultivate, but it produced veggies like crazy. Was a good time.

Shawnee

Forty Rod speaks truly.

The garden was Dad's idea and he regarded us as free labor.

I regarded it like the old moonshiner when the judge handed down a stiff sentence:
"You're just awful daggone free with another man's time!"

When growing up, my Grandfather planted a garden for veggies and greens every spring. He was a survivor of the Dust Bowl. But, I should say, my Grandfather showed my sister and I how to plant a garden. We learned by "doing." Heavy emphasis on the "doing" part.

Today, remembering those fond memories, you'll find me just behind (or ahead) of Forty Rod with my shopping cart in the market. I do marvel and appreciate those who plant and grow all those marvelous veggies just so Forty and I can shop for them in climate controlled environments. :-)

Coffinmaker

It was funny to watch, especially the two year old girl. She was so careful covering up the seed that she put outside the row. We have had 3 days of rain since so I have not been able to go out and redo the other rows to plant more seed. Maybe next week.

Archived