SASS Wire Forum

Plainsman side match

Fordyce Beals

I looked up all references to Plainsman side match in the Shooters Hand book, RO1, RO2, and the two match admin books and came up short on the official category designations. In the Plainsman matches I have shot categories were segregated by ejectors or no ejectors in rifle as East ,West, and Ladies In CD Tom's scoring program his take is Traditional, Modern, and Ladies.

(I am still confused which is which east, west, and if the 1885 Winchester single shot is ejector or non ejector . The replica I have has no spring powered ejector but can "eject" the fired case if I lever it smartly.)

Does the replica cap and ball vs. the Ruger Old Army have anything to do with category?

What is the "official", category go to source? Or is this match directors personal call?

Fordyce Beals

Plainsman is a side match, not a category. The basic rules are on page 17 of the Shooter's Handbook. Additional rules or "categories" within Plainsman are up to the Match Director.

Fordyce, generally Traditional is without ejectors i.e. western, Modern is with ejectors i.e. eastern and ladies is ladies.

Most folks will put the Winchester Hi Wall in the Eastern category because the "extractor" will actually eject the spent case.

So Handi Rifles, and Winchester Hi Walls are in Eastern

There is no separation between handguns

Everything else including non-Winchester hi walls are Western

No chromosome checks are required for Ladies.

See you Wednesday

Fordyce, generally Traditional is without ejectors i.e. western, Modern is with ejectors i.e. eastern and ladies is ladies.

Most folks will put the Winchester Hi Wall in the Eastern category because the "extractor" will actually eject the spent case.

So Handi Rifles, and Winchester Hi Walls are in Eastern

There is no separation between handguns

Everything else including non-Winchester hi walls are Western

No chromosome checks are required for Ladies.

See you Wednesday

That straightens me out, thanks. And again the genius of John Browning, designer of the High wall, with a rising rate linkage makes an extractor an ejector with no additional springs! I and 226 shooters will see you at Five Dogs Creek for the California State Championships.

Fordyce Beals

Archived