SASS Wire Forum

OT 22 lever action rifle

Rance - SASS # 54090

This past weekend our club put on an annual retreat for the Boy Scouts of America..

We had Long range, Muzzle loading, Archery and much more for them to go through..

We set up our cowboy town with a stage for them to shoot

with 22 rifles(10 rounds), 22 pistols (5 rounds) 20 & 12 gauge SxS's (2 rounds)

Long day for us but they had a great time..

It got me interested in buying a 22 lever action rifle..

We had a Marlin there.. jammed up occasionally..

A Winchester.. that worked most of the time...

A Browning there (made by Miruko) that seemed to work without any hitches at all..

I don't remember the models of these rifles..

but..

New or used..

What would be a good rifle to spend the gold dust on?

Reckon l'm lookin' fer one with consistancy on feeding with little problems..

I like the looks of the Henry Golden Boy in 22 LR cal.. any good?

Rance ;)

Thinkin' "Your thoughts??"

We purchased a youth model golden boy for my son a couple of years ago.

It got him going, teaching him all about the cowboy game and how you use your rifle, although he has never used it in competition.

It has brought him many hours of enjoyment at the range, although he is ready for a '73 like his momma and daddy.

My daughter wore the finish off a Henry but it runs like a champ. You can't go wrong. I prefer my Marlin 39A but the Henry's run really really smooth.

Buy a Henry and don't look back. IMHO

Love my Golden Boy.

They make a great .22

Liked it enough I have one and bought one for each of my grandsons.

So have 4 in the safe.

Every single one is a tack driver.

I had a Henry Golden Boy and it was a nice little rifle but the stock has so much drop that I didn't like the way it fit me. I sold it and got the Henry Frontier and I really like it. It has the octagon barrel and feels like a real rifle. I've put a couple hundred rounds through it without a problem. The standard Henry is good too. Try them out and see which works for you but I highly recommend the Henry Frontier.

Rance,

I have a golden boy that is a joy to shoot. For speed I would probably prefer the cheaper blued Henry rifle. H001 I believe. Although since I don't really like the hooded and ramped front sight, I might prefer the Frontier model with the octagon barrel that Doc mentioned but the golden boy is a very nice rifle.

The actions of these rifles are great out of the box but springs can be tweaked and they can be short stroked close to that of a common race prepped 73....and can be put back to original stroke if desired. I performed the mod. to my golden boy and it runs great. I think my Henry (short stroked or not) is far easier to run than my Browning BL22 which features a heavier but shorter 33° stroke. BL-22's are very nice rifles tho. Miroku always produces a very nice firearm. Although they aren't borderline collectors items like the Winchester or Marlin 22's, either Henry or Browning should serve you very well with regards to performance and reliability.

I love my Marlin Golden 39A, but yes, it will jam now and then. But one thing I have noticed is that if you consistently give it a full and firm throw of the lever, it won't jam. It's when you are tentative with your lever throw that it likes to jam. Most accurate rifle I own with me running it.

At our clubs annual youth day the kids will put 2000-2500 rounds through my Henry (the cheaper model), without a hitch. Been doing it for several years too. I spray it down with G- 96 a couple of times during the day when it feels dirty, never had a problem with it.............

Mink...........

I love my Golden Boy as well as my blued basic rifle they sell. I won the .22 World Championship with my Golden Boy at EOT this last year.

I love my Marlin Golden 39A, but yes, it will jam now and then. But one thing I have noticed is that if you consistently give it a full and firm throw of the lever, it won't jam. It's when you are tentative with your lever throw that it likes to jam. Most accurate rifle I own with me running it.

For shooting lollipops I'd choose my 39A. For speed but less precise shooting I'd take a Henry. A nice balance of the two (and plenty of gold dust) would be my Browning BL-22. Mine feeds very reliably.

OK...

Just got back from my gun shop...

I pulled up a regular Henry Golden Boy.. and the rise of the stock was a definite problem.. way too low... $469

I pulled up a blued Henry model H001T and it came up to my cheek great.. $299

They also had an old Ithaca model M49R.. quite a bit of wear on bluing and a little pitting but came up nice to my cheek..

They said made probably in the 1960's.. $249

Do they make a Golden Boy Frontier with the same stock rise as the H001T?

They didn't have one for me to try..

Thanks for the input..

Rance ;)

Still thinkin'

No, it has the standard stock. It is basically the octagon barrel of the Golden Boy with the receiver and stock of the standard rifle. I "need" one of those too.

Howdy,

I have a browning 22 lever that Im trying to get used to.

If it works out I might have a nice little Henry with the big loop lever for sale.

Its the slightly shorter round barrel and pretty accurate.

Minute of beer can at 50 yards....

Do you ever get up to DeKalb or Sycamore for matches?

Im pretty sure I have the box and stuff....

Best

CR

pRRJUkF.jpg

Winchester 9422 Deluxe model. That's what I have, it shoots great, never jams. I love that rifle! ;) Rye

I have shot the dickens out of my Golden Boy, never a malfunction just tricky to disassemble, for the price, can't go wrong. Good luck in finding ammo though....

i have a goldenboy , a marlin 39 mountie and a youth henry for the grandsons to shoot [don't tell the wife i'm shooting them] and love them all , but i also plan to find the winchester and browning just to say i have them one day as well , none have failed to perform when treated properly , so i think your good to go with all of the above ,

above and beyond that topic congrats on the service to the youth , we need new gun totin young folks to keep the faith with SASS and also to preserve our second amendment rights , its not something our legacy after we are gone will carry on its own - a great eulogy was given at a dear friend of mines step fathers wake , he was a shotgun writer we all have known if we were upland game hunters over the years , but its the young who remember that carry on , Thank You for that service , you built memories in the young

I've had 2 Marlin 39's over the years and in fits of insanity sold them both. Wish I had at least one of them back. I have a Golden Boy (we have 6 of them in the family) now and it is as smooth a rifle right out of the box as you will find. Accurate and dependable. Henry service is second to none. You won't go wrong with a Henry. My 2¢ worth.

I have a Marlin 39a and a Winchester 9422.

I like them both, but prefer the 9422, I can hold it an any angle and work the lever as fast or slow as I like and the thing never jams. It is slim and fits perfect to me; it points like it is a part of me. My girlfriend likes it better than any other rifle I own. She calls it the little/baby rifle if that means anything to you.

The 39a is a bit touchy. If it is held straighter and the lever worked with vigor and it will shoot all day without a hick up, anything else and it is likely to jam. The 39a is easier to take apart and clean and has a bit more heft to it, the stock feels more like a larger centerfire rifle than the Winchester.

I don't have a Henry or a Browning, but hear good things about both.

Just to add to the list of 22 cal. rifles and a question. Has anyone tried out the Uberti silver boy?

Have seen one. Looks GREAT.

Same as the Golden Boy. Just sliver. But they do look good.

I have several 22 levers...

The Browning Bl22 has the shortest stroke, is the smallest and lightest of them. Also most accurate for plinking.

My Golden Boy has the smoothest out of the box action, all the Golden Boys I've played with share this...

My Marlin Cowboy II is a full rifle size (24" tapered octagon barrel, OOP now) , with fitted tang sight and marbles folding front it is set up for longer range. But as with all Marlins, out of the Box gritty trigger pull and stiffer action...

Guest Hoss Carpenter, SASS Life 7843

I would love to have another Winchester 9422; sold my other one years ago. However , for a lot less $$, I bought a Henry Frontier and it is a great little gun. Friend of mine in our club "slicked" it up and it is a great shooter.

Hoss C.

Archived