SASS Wire Forum

What do you take to matches 'just in case' that has proved helpful?

Grizzly Dave

Doesn't matter what you bring, you will always be short on something. I use to bring backups to everything, main match guns, side match guns, long range guns (13 or 14 guns total) a LARGE tool box and a LARGE box of spare parts. Stool to sit on, umbrella for the cart, etc., etc., etc.. Literally had 1500 or 1600 pounds of extra junk in the RV and a gun cart that was a PITA to push around. Now I have a baby buggy folding cart, my main match guns with no backups and don't shoot the side matches anymore. I have a little bag I toss in the cart that has my shooting glasses, ear plugs, some band aids and eye glass wipes and a small Chapman screwdriver set. If that doesn't do it, I borrow it from some poor dude that is still pushing around an 800 pound cart. If all else fails, I go back to the RV pop open a cold drink and relax.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, I have not had time to keep up on that thread. Will have to check in to see what I am missing.

Maybe he hasn't figured out how to hand out web addresses. :)

Seeing squib rod a lot. Is there something special to a squib rob, or is there a cheap alternative? Like maybe a cleaning rod or old ramrod from a muzzle loader I lost a long time ago? Do you carry 2 sizes of squib rods?

The squib rod should be a larger diameter than a simple cleaning rod. Problem is that a small-diameter rod will sometimes get hung up between a stuck, tapered bullet and the weapon's bore. Doesn't happen often, but does happen. Then you're hosed, having complicated a simple problem. I'm sure there's lots of variations, but the idea is to get something that won't break and has a large enough diameter, weight and mass that it fills the bore pretty much and doesn't get hung up on the obstruction.

Fillmore has a real long, large diameter brazing rod. Fillmore is right that the squib rod must have weight and mass behind it to do the job. Mine is an 11/32" piece of brass rod (just under .357 inch diameter, which is .38 caliber) and only nine inches long. The longer ones obviously are heavier and easier to control and I kept mine shorter to make it easy to carry. It is still heavy enough to do the job, but must be dropped down a rifle bore, sometimes two or three times, to drive out a squib round. If you use it in your rifle, it's smart to put a rag or wood block in the action to keep the slug and the rod from impacting the bolt face. I've loaned mine to people with larger calibers; it doesn't have to fit the bore precisely. If you want one with a larger diameter, for, say .45 caliber, I think 7/16" is the right size, Anyway, none of it's rocket science

Is there something cheaper? I don't know. I wouldn't use plastic or wood, that's for sure, as I consider them a disaster waiting to happen. I suppose a nylon rod would work, but it doesn't have the necessary mass and you would need to strike it with something to knock out a barrel obstruction. Same with an aluminum rod, in my opinion.....not enough weight/mass.

You can order a 48" long (maybe longer) brass rod in incremental diameters online from someplace like McMaster-Carr Supply Company http://www.mcmaster.com/ They are an old-line industrial supply house. Very fast and reliable. 48" is enough for a couple of long rods or a bunch of smaller ones.

The squib rod should be a larger diameter than a simple cleaning rod. Problem is that a small-diameter rod will sometimes get hung up between a stuck, tapered bullet and the weapon's bore. Doesn't happen often, but does happen. Then you're hosed, having complicated a simple problem. I'm sure there's lots of variations, but the idea is to get something that won't break and has a large enough diameter, weight and mass that it fills the bore pretty much and doesn't get hung up on the obstruction.

Fillmore has a real long, large diameter brazing rod. Fillmore is right that the squib rod must have weight and mass behind it to do the job. Mine is an 11/32" piece of brass rod (just under .357 inch diameter, which is .38 caliber) and only nine inches long. The longer ones obviously are heavier and easier to control and I kept mine shorter to make it easy to carry. It is still heavy enough to do the job, but must be dropped down a rifle bore, sometimes two or three times, to drive out a squib round. If you use it in your rifle, it's smart to put a rag or wood block in the action to keep the slug and the rod from impacting the bolt face. I've loaned mine to people with larger calibers; it doesn't have to fit the bore precisely. If you want one with a larger diameter, for, say .45 caliber, I think 7/16" is the right size, Anyway, none of it's rocket science

Is there something cheaper? I don't know. I wouldn't use plastic or wood, that's for sure, as I consider them a disaster waiting to happen. I suppose a nylon rod would work, but it doesn't have the necessary mass and you would need to strike it with something to knock out a barrel obstruction. Same with an aluminum rod, in my opinion.....not enough weight/mass.

You can order a 48" long (maybe longer) brass rod in incremental diameters online from someplace like McMaster-Carr Supply Company http://www.mcmaster.com/ They are an old-line industrial supply house. Very fast and reliable. 48" is enough for a couple of long rods or a bunch of smaller ones.

Or you can go to the local metal recycling yard and buy 8' lengths of brass rod. That's what I did. I make rifle and pistol squib rod sets for my friends. I use deer antler for the handles. The extra weight of the brass rod and antler make it real easy to drive out a squib without the use of a hammer usually just a couple of thumps up and down with the rod dislodges the bullet. Works real well and the rod is plentiful and cheap.

Hamley, haven't you kept up with the 'online Chronicle' thread? Assassin doesn't want to have to hand out web addresses! :D :D :D

Web addresses, physical addresses, and other pertinent information is on the applications I carry in my cart. The applications have enough info to answer most questions regarding Hell On Wheels, Wyoming State Championship, June 13-15 2014. ;)

Hardware stores, and even Lowes, often have metal bar and rod stock in 2 or 3 foot sections. Another good place to check is a well stocked hobby shop.

Web addresses, physical addresses, and other pertinent information is on the applications I carry in my cart. The applications have enough info to answer most questions regarding Hell On Wheels, Wyoming State Championship, June 13-15 2014. ;)

Just havin' a little fun with you an' Hamley :D

Or you can go to the local metal recycling yard and buy 8' lengths of brass rod. That's what I did. I make rifle and pistol squib rod sets for my friends. I use deer antler for the handles. The extra weight of the brass rod and antler make it real easy to drive out a squib without the use of a hammer usually just a couple of thumps up and down with the rod dislodges the bullet. Works real well and the rod is plentiful and cheap.

But, yer in San Diego and this here is the Central Coast, where the wrecking yard is pretty much the recycler. One way or the other, just getting a piece of inexpensive brass rod and customizing it in some way is pretty much the way to go.

Your fancy ones with the antler handles sound pretty nice!

Squib rod made of a 5/16" oak dowel with brass tips in each end made of .32 acp cases and a small wooden mallet from a Tandy leather working kit I bought when I was about 12. It gets used by someone almost every match. Can of spray RemOil or Ballistol. A good screwdriver kit that gets used by someone almost every match too. If yer shootin' BP, a cleaning rod, plenty of patches, water, and Ballistol.

Big matches - in addition to above: extra guns, extra ammo, extra parts, extra belt/holster rig, extra boot laces, cordless Dremel tool kit, set of needle files, set of punches, small brass hammer, tradin' goods. Probably a few other things if I think about it - this all stays in the RV, not in the gun cart.

Guest Hoss Carpenter, SASS Life 7843

I have a lot of the stuff with me I have read about here. although Grizzly Dave was spot on; uncoated Aspirin. In Texas at a shoot in 2000--- 45 minutes from an EMT, I saw it save a life of a good Cowboy. Never leave home without it!

Hoss C.

i keep a lot of duplicate stuff in the RV , complete extra set of guns and backup ammo , and sometimes a complete spare set of buckaroo guns for my small shooting pals , just because i have them , spare clothes and the sunscreen/bug spray/first aid /tools

on the cart i try to go just as light as i can with rain cover , umbrella , small first aid , and one stage more ammo than we plan to shoot in case the posse decirdes to shoot ahead with an early finish ,

I bring double the amount of everything (4 pistols, 2 rifles, 2 shotguns, twice the amount of ammo, etc., etc.). Always have "back-up"!

I want to be on your posse from now on. :)

I think from now on Philly's gonna bring an ambulance.

Fillmore

Howdy,

Say Philly Slim, any houses fer sail close by pard???

I prefer Kentucky bourbon from Kentucky....

Best

CR

ps- I found some brass shotgun cleaning rods that made some fine squib rods.

They was on sail cheep too.

Howdy,

Say Philly Slim, any houses fer sail close by pard???

I prefer Kentucky bourbon from Kentucky....

Best

CR

ps- I found some brass shotgun cleaning rods that made some fine squib rods.

They was on sail cheep too.

Lots and LOTS of houses for sale out here.

I prefer whatever whiskey is being handed to me. ;)

Archived