SASS Wire Forum

What do you take to matches 'just in case' that has proved helpful?

Grizzly Dave

Howdy

I bring along a pair of 'original model' Vaqueros to every match in case one of my Colts has a problem. Yes, it has happened.

I usually bring a pretty complete tool kit too, but it stays in the car. Much too heavy to drag around with all the stuff that's in it.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

screwdriver

[

Now there's one I can get behind. But do you pre-mix the screwdrivers, or just carry all the fixins separately?

In all seriousness, I'm new at this (it's been less than a year) but on my very first trip, I made sure I had some oil and a multi tool. When I got a cart, I started loading it up with all kinds of things, but I ran out of room awful fast. I don't know where some of you guys find the room for all your stuff. I think I might carry too much ammo. I kind of have a phobia about running out of ammo, and I'm not just talking about shooting matches.

Here's what I bring, but note I don't think I've ever needed any of it except the trash bag

Large Trash bag

Multi Tool

Extra Ammo

Extra glasses

Extra ear muffs (both for visitors)

Oil

choke gauge (I don't know why, but it's nice to have and don't take up much room)

A bandana because I get sweaty.

In my truck, I always have a decent set of mechanics tools, an umbrella that is only used to loan to ladies (not intentional, but that's just how it's worked out), toilet paper that I've had for 15 years and never even opened up, a roll of paper towels just as old, a basic first aid kit, and a few basic medicines.

I like this topic. I'm going to have to shove a few more things into my cart.

If it's a multi-day out of town match, I bring a backup and spare Everything!

First aid kit. Small stuff like bandaids, super glue (closes cuts on finger tips much better than putting a bandaid on that then gets stuck in a gun mechanism or just falls off), sun screen, ibuprofen, aspirin. Every other match someone needs something.

And always the cell phone to make an emergency call for ambulance or life guard helo.

And always a small trauma kit for gunshot and CPR treatment.

Good luck, GJ

add "bug spray" to that

ibuprophen

nail clippers (I kin't get through a match witout breakin' at least one nail)

trash bag to pull over the guns ifn' it rains

sunscreen (I even occasionally remember ta use it)

baby powder

band aids

oh, and Buick!! :D:D :D

almost forgot... an

EZ UP!!

Time to clean out my shooting box, it's gotten kind of out of control.

Wondering what you all take to matches, either to have in your cart, or in the car, that has proven to be helpful over the years.

Grizz

Meds, foam ear plugs, throw away safety glasses (both for spectators), spares for all guns, either guns or spare parts as believed needed and that can be changed during a shoot, dust-rain covers for long guns, spare ammo, knock down ammo, rain coats if in forecast, umbrella if hot and sunny, stools to sit on, bags for spent brass, brass rod(s) for squibs, swab to clean SG chambers every couple of stages, bandana for sweat or whatever, clotting agent for cuts, etc, cleaner/lube spray for guns, especially rifle, soft ice chest with drinks and lunch unless shoot provides, cash for registration and brass pickers (leave billfold in car), wet packaged hand cleaners, cart cover if rain forecast, screwdrivers unique to guns for screws that might be removed at match, spare timer, towel, bachelor buttons, loading strips for number of stages in match, lip balm, sunscreen, pens for sights (black and gold), battery for timer, etc.

PS, best swabs for shotguns to carry are short fuzzy swabs on a stick about 8 inches long, two come connected with short rubber tube from paint ball shop for a couple bucks, Only need to carry one stick til it wears out.

Outside of all the stuff already mentioned.......

A "Pro CLEARS" Eye glass cleaning sham and a hand towel for the sweat.

Hey, it's Arizona, it's what we do, grow rocks and sweat...

Good stuff folks, keep it coming.

I'll add a couple things

Though I rarely use sunscreen, I take it and have helped other folks out that needed it.

If I know there will be brass pickers, I take some of the golden dollar coins, kinda of a fun way to thank them with some money that clanks.

Chewable low dose aspirin. I have been told that chewing 3 or 4 of these and letting them dissolve in your mouth when having a heart attack will lessen the chances of permanent damage. I have never needed these for myself or anyone else, and hope I never do, but they're there just in case.

For my self Moose Milk cleaning rod and "Nature Lube Patches". And Tin cup fer my coffee.

Set of Smiths Screwdrivers ...

For others a couple of squib rods !!!

Jabez Cowboy

Murphy's Mix

Oiler

Leatherman

A couple screwdrivers

handy wipes

soapy water for cases

long gun rain covers

work gloves

My pard Marshal Duncan who has anything else I could possibly ever need in his big ol' cart. :lol:

Pards

I carry a lot of stuff. Any time if I have needed something that I didn't have somebody has always offer

So Thanks to y'all that have helped in the past and in advance

Extra pistol, a Colt in .44-40, yes a Colt as a backup to my Smoke Wagons. Screwdrivers, small needle nose pliers, long brass rod, Murphy's mix and a towel. Oh yea, a canteen full of ice cold water!

Rye ;)

I have it on good authority that you don't travel anywhere without a full length mirror.

:lol::lol::lol:

I have it on good authority that you don't travel anywhere without a full length mirror.

hmmph, dunt need wun!!!! I nose wut I luk lak!

Nah, he's got that fancy video camera that he can hook up to a laptop and look at himself now. Cheaper than breaking all those mirrors :P

Besides a lot of the stuff that cowpokes have mentioned..

I now carry an extra suspender button strap...

Had one break on me at a shoot... the back one..

I didn't know it..

Kept adjustin' my suspenders wonderin'..

Why are they always loose???

made a couple extra's ...

always laying in the bottom of my gun bag..

Rance ;)

Thinkin' I've never needed the extra's :blush:

since I've made 'em.. :)

Eye drops for dusty days.

Allergy meds (non drowsy of course)

I keep a spare base pin screw stapled inside my ammo box.

Forceps for plucking lead out of someones face.

Pillows and blankets for the spotters, that way they can take a nap while i shoot. :P

Squib rod should be fairly stout so you can pound on it a little, just a piece of solid brass or something that cannot harm the barrel. Cleaning rods usually work, but are frequently bent or destroyed clearing squibs with them. And you have to be careful what the cleaning rod is made of if you are going to get aggressive with it in your barrel.

Usually a few people at a match have one so most of us can get by being lazy and not toting one around.

Squib rod should be fairly stout so you can pound on it a little, just a piece of solid brass or something that cannot harm the barrel. Cleaning rods usually work, but are frequently bent or destroyed clearing squibs with them. And you have to be careful what the cleaning rod is made of if you are going to get aggressive with it in your barrel.

Usually a few people at a match have one so most of us can get by being lazy and not toting one around.

I use a heavy brazing rod, maybe 25-30 caliber, 3 feet long. The weight and mass has always been enough to move a bullet w/o pounding.

Fillmore

Archived