SASS Wire Forum

My First Restoration Project

Sagerider

I just purchased a semi-rough Winchester 92 in 44-40 that has a bulge in the barrel. I would like to restore the rifle to be a reliable shooter but returning to pristine condition is not my intent. While not actually knowledgeable, I understand the barrel can be replaced or lined. Finding a 92 barrel may be possible but will surely be used and possibly rough. I can believe it would be quite expensive what ever the condition. I am told a Win 94 barrel may be a suitable sub but know of no one who has done a similar project.

I would appreciate your thoughts if you have engaged in the process of restoration and suggestions for a smith to do the barrel work. Thanks in advance. Sagerider

Where is the bulge? If it's near the muzzle would there be enough barrel left to cut off the bulged portion and still be a legal length? Also, just because it's bulged doesn't mean it has to be replaced. Sometimes it will still shoot well enough to leave it alone. If possible, shoot it and see what kind of accuracy it has left.

I don't think the '94 Winchester was ever chambered in 44-40, but I'm no expert. It shouldn't be too hard to find a '92 barrel as they made quite a few of them.

How bad is the bulge, my marlin has 3 or so and still is a tack driver....

A pre-war 94 barrel would work but the lettering won't be correct and you would have to have it re-bored to 44-40. You didn't say if this is a round barrel or an octagon but I suspect it's a round. A decent used 44-40 barrel can be found but you could always hammer the bulge down (assuming it shows on the outside) draw file smooth then reline the bore. Then you will have the original barrel with the correct markings and a fresh bore.

I think you already know the value you will be adding won't cover the cost, though. Unless you got a really good deal on the gun.

Archived