SASS Wire Forum

Hope I never have to make a call like that again....

Buckhorn Bud

Often our monthly posse is so small that family have to RO for each other. After staging her loaded guns, but before the beep, my wife wanted to show me that her pistol grips were a little loose. She pulls the revolver and turns around to show me, inadvertently scanning me along the way.

It's likely that nobody saw it and I wanted to let it go, but I couldn't. I had to give my wife a MDQ.

I was so stressed over it that when I loaded my rifle for the next stage I forgot to lower the hammer earning a SDQ for myself. She asked if I had done it on purpose to make her feel better. I considered it but knew that she wouldn't want me to do that. It did make her feel better though.

I sure hope I never have to do that again.

Bud,

I was a spotter for that episode today. You Sir, are man of integrity and honor!!!! :D:excl:

Proud to know you!

Harvey

PS, one stage later we had another rifle staged with hammer not down (half cock). Good thing we got all this stuff out of our systems before our annual!

Often our monthly posse is so small that family have to RO for each other. After staging her loaded guns, but before the beep, my wife wanted to show me that her pistol grips were a little loose. She pulls the revolver and turns around to show me, inadvertently scanning me along the way.

It's likely that nobody saw it and I wanted to let it go, but I couldn't. I had to give my wife a MDQ.

I was so stressed over it that when I loaded my rifle for the next stage I forgot to lower the hammer earning a SDQ for myself. She asked if I had done it on purpose to make her feel better. I considered it but knew that she wouldn't want me to do that. It did make her feel better though.

I sure hope I never have to do that again.

Bud-About 5 years ago, I had to make the same call on Ima :wub:

It helped her to understand-GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED :excl:

About a year later she had to give me a SDQ for dropped(unloaded)handgun.

It happens-

So, where did you take Ball & Chain to dinner? :lol:

LG

Your wife might be torqued off at you, but think how she'd have felt if the gun had gone off and hurt you or worse! Sometimes we have to make calls like that in the name of something higher than "being in the doghouse" for awhile.

Sounds to me like the T/O was doing a good job and on his toes. The Mrs. might be the one buying dinner. She learned a very important lesson as did I on my fourth stage on my first match.

Why would he be in the doghouse??? She's the one who made the error! You married guys better start growing some stones! How pathetic to even kid around about it.

Rye

You're right Lumpy. No visible bruises. In fact she was over it before we left the range, which was a pleasant surprise. I've known some people who have quit shooting after receiving a MDQ. I was afraid she might have a similar mind set. I enjoy having her there. She's not just my wife. She's my best friend. Thankfully, like I said, she's over it. I'm sure she'll remember and watch more closely from now on.

This was only the second time I've given anyone a MDQ. The first time I didn't have to say anything. He had been shooting for a long time and just received a brand new leather rig for Christmas. Unfortunately the cross-draw holster didn't hold the gun quite well enough and he didn't notice the gun slip as he moved from one shooting location to the next. As he reached for his first revolver he noticed it wasn't there. He stopped. Picked up his guns and quietly went to the unloading table.

Thank you Harvey for the kind words. I sure hope I don't have to do that again.

Folks-Buds wife, "Ball & Chain", is a class act :excl:

I assure you, she will leave no visible marks on him. :lol:

Tho-he may walk with a limp for a spell. :P

LG

It's not often I agree with Lumpy but, he's spot on here. Ball & Chain is most definitely a class act. If she's mad at anybody it'll be at herself. She's also one very sharp cookie, I bet she learns from this mistake and never makes it again. Good on you Bud for making the hard call. Running the timer ain't for the weak.

Why would he be in the doghouse??? She's the one who made the error! You married guys better start growing some stones! How pathetic to even kid around about it.

Rye

:wacko:

To much caffeine, maybe. :rolleyes:

BTW-I know and shoot with all involved is this deal......

Lighten up :excl:

LG

I fixed it for you. No likey posty.

HUH??

I didn't mean any offense to the actual people involved . I don't even know them. My point was directed to the people kidding around about the "doghouse" this guy is gonna be in because he gave his wife a MDQ. He was right and she messed up. There should be no joking about a doghouse, this is a safety concern not a joke about marriage! Why is it somehow always cool to make it the guys fault???? :wacko:

HUH??

I didn't mean any offense to the actual people involved . I don't even know them. My point was directed to the people kidding around about the "doghouse" this guy is gonna be in because he gave his wife a MDQ. He was right and she messed up. There should be no joking about a doghouse, this is a safety concern not a joke about marriage! Why is it somehow always cool to make it the guys fault???? :wacko:

:wacko:

NEVER said B'Bud was wrong for his call :excl:;)

BTW-I, do know all involved here ^_^

LG

How's the sleeping bag in the tent in the back yard?

Bud, this call shows your integrity and that of your wife's. Most newer shooters make mistakes, some very experienced shooters may bigger mistakes hence the reason for our safety rules. No one wants to make a major call on a shooter, much less a family member. It's how we couch the penalty and how receptive the other is to the ramification of their error had it not been caught or corrected. Good Job to you both.

Archived