SASS Wire Forum

Marlin Microgroove rifling?

J. Frank Norfleet

I've been looking at Marlins. Came across a number of reviews stating that the microgroove rifling was terrible for lead bullets. It seems that the Marlin Cowboy rifles are 6 groove Ballard rifling and nearly all the others are 12 groove microgroove. Anyone have experience shooting lead in a microgroove rifle?

no problems here or that I've heard of...

The Microgroove barrels can often shoot more accurately hard cast lead rather than "factory soft" lead slugs, but at our match distances, most folks don't see any difference.

It will, like all Marlins, throw the brass forward.

Good luck, GJ

I've been looking at Marlins. Came across a number of reviews stating that the microgroove rifling was terrible for lead bullets. It seems that the Marlin Cowboy rifles are 6 groove Ballard rifling and nearly all the others are 12 groove microgroove. Anyone have experience shooting lead in a microgroove rifle?

Change the reviews you read.

The Microgroove barrels can often shoot more accurately hard cast lead rather than "factory soft" lead slugs, but at our match distances, most folks don't see any difference.

It will, like all Marlins, throw the brass forward.

Good luck, GJ

Don't shoot a marlin but my experience as a brass picker is that they throw brass slightly sideways and in a neat pile, often all 10 are sitting on the staging table, never seen one that throws forward of the ejection port. (but probably some do). Brass pickers love marlins.

Doc

here's the deal on Marlin's throwing the brass forward/sideways, etc.....

If you have a Marlin that you prefer to plink with and the brass is readily available, that Marlin will tend to throw brass sideways in neat, little piles.

BUT, if you have a favorite Marlin that you prefer to use in CAS competition and the brass is not so easy to maintain, those Marlins tend to throw the brass either forward or everywhere.

I think it has alot to do with whether you live east or west of the Mississippi AND..... ifn its early summer or late fall.

Hey, I don't make this stuff up. Just ask Pretty Boy Shy Annie. He'll verify.

..........Widder

I occasionally shoot a Marlin 1894 .44 Mag/Sp with a microgroove barrel.

My recommendation is to shoot hardcast lead bullets and something more than mousefart velocities and call it done. Meister and Oregon Trails are just two sources of hardcast bullets.

A microgroove barrel may build up lead deposits quicker than a Ballard barrel. I am sure that there will be plenty of people on both sides of that fence, most of which are smarter than me.

It's a myth, especially at the distances we shoot. The arguments about microgroove are mainly targeted at long range cowboy silhouette shooting and even there not everyone agrees. Our little microgroove marlin has put tons of cowboy bullets downrange. It can drive them through the same hole at CAS distances.

yup, it also has to do with the quality of the brass, if you dunt want it back yule git all of them back, if you used new brass yur lucky to git two back, honest, tho the only one that my Marlin failed to eject was one that split around the canalure and left the front half in the chamber.... yu know, that little ring some of them half, those are junk imho....

I've shot Marlin 1984's with microgroove over 200yrds on occasion for fun, never had much issue with accuracy.

The "cautionary tale" I've heard has been to not shoot lead then jacketed bullets without a thorough cleaning, since even a 'little leading' will go a long way in microgrooving, which can cause a pressure issue when you switch over to jacketed bullets.

Archived