SASS Wire Forum

Are you actually reading the online Chronical?

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know...kinda. The comments seem to follow the same line. That is...we don't get anything outta being members of SASS other then a Card, Sticker...and the paper CC.

My stance is that if that ALL one's sees...then perhaps they should just save their money and play another game.

I see a lot more the just a Card, Sticker and paper CC.

But...that's just me.

;)

It's not just you, Pard.......I feel the same way!

If I get an email informing me that it is available with the link, I will download it in pdf and read it at leisure.

If I do not get an email, I will forget to look for it.

If I were an advertiser, I would only pay for actual downloads and paper copies.

Good Idea ,,, Then the adds would no longer pay the cost of printing the CC.

But I still feel that the CC can be produced cheaper than most mags and they are funded by their advertisers.

Jabez Cowboy

I think the addvertisers are the ones really getting Short-Changed, I used to read the CC over and over again Including the adds and over the years have ordered from those same adds... But I still haven't read my Feb. ,March or April CC and when I do I will only read what perks my intrest and not the adds ..

And I think the Life Members have cause to be unhappy with this change of deal ...

Jabez Cowboy

Actually I think the advertisers are better off, they can supply links in their ads to their entire store and don't need to have such a big ad. I'm much more likely to click on a link than go fire up the computer while reading the printed version.

You've made some interesting points...shall we call them...

So tell me, what would you have them do???? Produce then CC in paper for Life Members?

What is YOUR solution???

And who is the "King"?????

Looking forward to your answers...

Phantom

Ahemmm...... call me before you even think of doing the next thing you was thinkin' a doon.... or .... else....

I have read the digital Chronicle and have no problems with it. Now that the print version has been retired, I also agree that it's time to stop mincing the print format on line and take the Chronicle the rest of the way to a digital presentation format.

You two, King and Phantom, need to use ;) or the Moderators and Newbies may think you're meanies fighting. :o You aren't fighting are you? :unsure:

Me and that old long hair are always fighting...it's what we do!!!!

:o

;)

:P

I have read the digital Chronicle and have no problems with it. Now that the print version has been retired, I also agree that it's time to stop mimicking the print format on line and take the Chronicle the rest of the way to a digital presentation format.

You two, King and Phantom, need to use ;) or the Moderators and Newbies may think you're meanies fighting. :o You aren't fighting are you? :unsure:

Me and that old long hair are always fighting...it's what we do!!!!

:o

;)

Moderators? PFFFFFT! we don't need no meanie moderators ;);):D:lol::P

I read it online 'cause that's how I signed up for it in the first place. I find the articles interesting but I joined for the people I have met and continue to meet along the way.... And I have fun with the game. The magazine wasn't the draw and to be honest, I didn't even know it was available until after I joined with SASS.

I just don't get the folks that are saying they would quit SASS over this. I wish I had found this earlier!! :)

Unfortunately, unless some one in command such as SASS' president who is an old wise head and businessman puts his foot down and reverses this disastrous decision the print CC is dead as the dodo. A few weeks ago a very highly placed source told me in person that only a few hundred had sent in the $35 to keep the print version alive. He said there is no way the 5000 number could be or ever would be reached. Done deal. Fait accompli. Over. History.

I was going to send in my $35 but see no sense in it now. If there was the faintest ray of hope I would but unfortunately dammit there is not. None. Someone needs to go ahead and say so. No sense dragging it out. Us luddites lost.

Worst decision ever in SASS history. Only hope now is the General hisownself will come riding in to the rescue and reverse this disastrous decision.

And NO I do not read the online version. Tried it once, did not care for it. I may possibly look in on it but more likely I will never read the bloomin' thing again. Sad just sad. Just really sad,

Have no doubt those few hundred who sent in their $35 with hope for the future will get a refund. Will be interesting to see how long the ptb drag this done deal out before making the announcement I already know is coming.

I've given it a try and it looks nice, but after staring at a computer all day at work, it's not for me.

Since I'm payin a $100 for dues for me and the family already, I'm not paying more for the printed version. In fact I'm seriously concidering dropping the family since we don't do state shoots.

Unfortunately, unless some one in command such as SASS' president who is an old wise head and businessman puts his foot down and reverses this disastrous decision the print CC is dead as the dodo. A few weeks ago a very highly placed source told me in person that only a few hundred had sent in the $35 to keep the print version alive. He said there is no way the 5000 number could be or ever would be reached. Done deal. Fait accompli. Over. History.

I was going to send in my $35 but see no sense in it now. If there was the faintest ray of hope I would but unfortunately dammit there is not. None. Someone needs to go ahead and say so. No sense dragging it out. Us luddites lost.

Worst decision ever in SASS history. Only hope now is the General hisownself will come riding in to the rescue and reverse this disastrous decision.

And NO I do not read the online version. Tried it once, did not care for it. I may possibly look in on it but more likely I will never read the bloomin' thing again. Sad just sad. Just really sad,

Have no doubt those few hundred who sent in their $35 with hope for the future will get a refund. Will be interesting to see how long the ptb drag this done deal out before making the announcement I already know is coming.

Bingo! I'm telling you folks and I hope someone in leadership is reading this. As the leader of my local club, this is what 75% of my shooters are saying. The only thing that is keeping most them members of SASS are the state and regional shoots.

Where's you darn solution????

You folks just seem to think that the CC is a viable entity without ANY knowledge of the economics surrounding it.

Then you have the opinion that to have a sanctioning body for the game of CAS is not worth the money cuz you don't shoot State or above matches...So you joined for the CC???? That's great...

So here we sit...reading all these wonderful post where folks that are completely ignorant to the circumstances of the CC telling the SASS leadership to reinstate the paper CC. Sorry, but I see this as the behavior of a spoiled child.

Without SASS...there would be Cowboy Shooting. It would just be a few old farts gathering around a range and doing their OWN thing...so much for consistency from club to club. There wouldn't be this organizational bond that many of us enjoy...

OY!!!!!!!!!!!

Phantom

SASS could go back to a quarterly publication. It would have better articles, editor could pick and choose instead of printing stuff that has little interest to many. I asked Tex when it was going to be a monthly publication back in 1997 he told me to be careful what I wished for. When Tex retired from his real job around 1999 or 2000 it went monthly and quality declined, no fault of Tex just not enough good stuff to print. Sometimes less is more! $.02

Assassin <_<

I really don't have a parakeet or a parrot in this fight. ALL paper everything that prints is going the way of the dodo bird. This news may be slow to get to the TX panhandle, but print publications from the Wall Street Journal to Better Homes and Gardens and newspapers everywhere have either dramatically changed their bidness models or filed bankruptcy. Ladies Home Journal closed today after 131 years. It's always been; grow, change or die.

I marvel at how much the last 30 years have changed our lives. You may or may not like it or agree with it, but imagine what the next 30 will be like. With 3D printing you may not have to actually ship that couch...no kidding....in another 50 years..or maybe another 10. Most of my suppliers no longer mail printed catalogs in fact I can't name one that does.

There are several benefits to this trend. 1) is that you get so much less junk mail at the Post Office. It's now all email traffic 2) is that the emails trash so much easier. 3) searching, sourcing, pricing, purchasing are literally infinite and global. My 83 y/o mother has already read 58 books on Kindle since Christmas and she is now so easy to buy for and much more interesting to talk to. The sainted woman is an encyclopedia. My 3 boys have trained me to talk on the phone with a Bluetooth, search anything online; buy it with one click and text someone all at the same time.

That may not be your cup of tea, but they are all doing it. Grow, Change or die....

And seriously, throwing a temper tantrum, threatening to quit and just generally acting like a brat because the format changed probably won't get you anything more than a 2 year old doing the same thing: Left out while the rest of us are out having fun.

On that score, SASS is a sanctioning body first and foremost. That isn't limited to State and higher shoots. There is no sanctioning body worth a spit about which I am aware that doesn't charge membership and/or formation fees all the way down to the club level....none. Playing by the rules is only one of the benefits of having a rule making body. If paying or being required to be a member would cause you to leave then to quote the sage... "WELL.... BYE".

My bet is that the WB will have to create that revenue next for the sport to prosper.

Harrumph! Behave or I'll call in reinforcements.

nun-guns.png

Ummmm.....Allie......I don't think them rifles are SASS legal.

Just sayin'.

EC

I really don't have a parakeet or a parrot in this fight. ALL paper everything that prints is going the way of the dodo bird. This news may be slow to get to the TX panhandle, but print publications from the Wall Street Journal to Better Homes and Gardens and newspapers everywhere have either dramatically changed their bidness models or filed bankruptcy. Ladies Home Journal closed today after 131 years. It's always been; grow, change or die.

I marvel at how much the last 30 years have changed our lives. You may or may not like it or agree with it, but imagine what the next 30 will be like. With 3D printing you may not have to actually ship that couch...no kidding....in another 50 years..or maybe another 10. Most of my suppliers no longer mail printed catalogs in fact I can't name one that does.

There are several benefits to this trend. 1) is that you get so much less junk mail at the Post Office. It's now all email traffic 2) is that the emails trash so much easier. 3) searching, sourcing, pricing, purchasing are literally infinite and global. My 83 y/o mother has already read 58 books on Kindle since Christmas and she is now so easy to buy for and much more interesting to talk to. The sainted woman is an encyclopedia. My 3 boys have trained me to talk on the phone with a Bluetooth, search anything online; buy it with one click and text someone all at the same time.

That may not be your cup of tea, but they are all doing it. Grow, Change or die....

And seriously, throwing a temper tantrum, threatening to quit and just generally acting like a brat because the format changed probably won't get you anything more than a 2 year old doing the same thing: Left out while the rest of us are out having fun.

On that score, SASS is a sanctioning body first and foremost. That isn't limited to State and higher shoots. There is no sanctioning body worth a spit about which I am aware that doesn't charge membership and/or formation fees all the way down to the club level....none. Playing by the rules is only one of the benefits of having a rule making body. If paying or being required to be a member would cause you to leave then to quote the sage... "WELL.... BYE".

My bet is that the WB will have to create that revenue next for the sport to prosper.

With all the new technology we're still shooting guns that were designed before 1899. With paper I can throw the CC in my work truck and read it when I'm waiting for contractors or while I'm eating lunch. I can give it to others to read in hopes of getting them interested in CAS or leave a few copies in the local barber shop, gun store, or doctor's office. All of us don't carry around an Ipad or other media device. We could sit in front of our computers and play video games rather than shoot real guns with real bullets.

Here's a flash... just give new shooters the URL.... :o

I took a friend to a doctor's appointment the other day and everyone in the waiting area was on their phone. Not a single person was reading any of the magazines on the table.

Technology is moving quickly. Soon your flip phone (or in Assassin' s case the antenna bag phone) will no longer be supported (just like analog and 1g) the plight of the dodo phone is already sealed.

Not once since it went on line. It goes into my spam folder and gets deleted, so I never look for it and it goes bye-bye. Don't miss it any..

Here's a flash... just give new shooters the URL.... :o

I took a friend to a doctor's appointment the other day and everyone in the waiting area was on their phone. Not a single person was reading any of the magazines on the table.

Technology is moving quickly. Soon your flip phone (or in Assassin' s case the antenna bag phone) will no longer be supported (just like analog and 1g) the plight of the dodo phone is already sealed.

What's a URL? Did you forget a letter or something, or are you yelling something at me? Where's Allie? I'm use to working with hammers and power tools. Of all the tools I own and I have 3 or 4 of just about everything, a computer is probably the one I could do without.

Last time I looked the "modern" class had been abolished, and your pistols had fixed sights. My Blackhawks are more modern than your Colts. I've never owned a "bag phone", that's before my time. My flip phone is 4 years old and still works fine.

My 93 Dodge Cummins runs without help of any computers and has never blown a head gasket.

And, if I see an adz I will buy one just to have it.

:D

What's a URL? Did you forget a letter or something, or are you yelling something at me? Where's Allie? I'm use to working with hammers and power tools. Of all the tools I own and I have 3 or 4 of just about everything, a computer is probably the one I could do without.

Last time I looked the "modern" class had been abolished, and your pistols had fixed sights. My Blackhawks are more modern than your Colts. I've never owned a "bag phone", that's before my time. My flip phone is 4 years old and still works fine.

My 93 Dodge Cummins runs without help of any computers and has never blown a head gasket.

And, if I see an adz I will buy one just to have it.

:D

in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king ;):lol:

The URL, Home-boy, is the address up at the top... that would be WWW.SASSNET.COM in this case /forums although I never give that to anyone over the age of maturity less they blanch.

You aren't going to let me forget about that $10k on Ford head gaskets :ph34r: believe me when I say that the emptiness I feel is deeper than any heart ache I've ever known! :P I think I saw you using a nail-gun the other day. Must have been a steep learning curve judging by the holes in the barn. :lol::lol:

I cannot quit being a lifer. Nor would I if I were an annual member. I long ago got more than my $400 worth out of SASS. And yes I have and will shoot state and above matches. Not the issue. The issue is CAS is about the 19th century not all this brave new world crapola we are having thrust upon is. Everything invented after the Winchester 92 is superfluous! Har! Tho I AM fond of the 1911 and in total love with the Champ of the World for 100 years now Ma Deuce who saved my bacon on a daily basis during a crazy year.

The issue is that the paper CC probably inspired as many folks to join up than any other one thing. Period. Before I started devouring gimme CCs I shot CAS having read about it in other gun rags in stories written by Iron Duke and Sixgunner. Saw no reason to send SASS my hard earned dinero until I began to read every CC I could get my hands on cover to cover 5 or 6 times or so apiece. So I got enthused and sent in the 400.

The paper CC is the greatest recruiter we ever had or will ever have. Make it a quarterly fine. But it should be retained even if it does not break even or "costs". How that could be a money loser with sub rates and ad revenue I cannot comprehend. Even if it is evermore a money loser it needs to be retained even as a bi-monthly or quarterly. Huge excess stacks need to be printed and shipped to every club for handouts. We need recruits and a paper CC is the best recruiter we ever had or will have.

How and why is that so hard to understand?

Oh, and BK I have had a myriad cell phones. The best one was the first -- a Nokia analog bag phone.

I could be under the Canadian River Bridge on the Dumas hiway and tawk ta Gawd and He would answer.

All "progress" ain't necessarily.

Killing off the paper CC may be progress but is akin to slicin' off yer own nose and shooting thru yer own boot...

Oh, and BK I have had a myriad cell phones. The best one was the first -- a Nokia analog bag phone.

I could be under the Canadian River Bridge on the Dumas hiway and tawk ta Gawd and He would answer.

All "progress" ain't necessarily.

Killing off the paper CC may be progress but is akin to slicin' off yer own nose and shooting thru yer own boot...

...skin still on my nose and no hole in my boot :D

GG ~ :FlagAm:

With all the new technology we're still shooting guns that were designed before 1899. With paper I can throw the CC in my work truck and read it when I'm waiting for contractors or while I'm eating lunch. I can give it to others to read in hopes of getting them interested in CAS or leave a few copies in the local barber shop, gun store, or doctor's office. All of us don't carry around an Ipad or other media device. We could sit in front of our computers and play video games rather than shoot real guns with real bullets.

This is what I will miss the most. Yes, I can give someone the URL, but it's not the same as handing someone a newspaper that they can pick up and peruse at their lesiure. That was my first introduction to SASS, at a gun show.

Yes, I read it online and at least now it is a PITA. Yes, I don't like it and yes it's a reality to be dealt with. Hopefully the format will change to something easier to use.

"The paper CC is the greatest recruiter we ever had or will ever have. Make it a quarterly fine. But it should be retained even if it does not break even or "costs". How that could be a money loser with sub rates and ad revenue I cannot comprehend. Even if it is evermore a money loser it needs to be retained even as a bi-monthly or quarterly. Huge excess stacks need to be printed and shipped to every club for handouts. We need recruits and a paper CC is the best recruiter we ever had or will have."

This right here is the most sensible reason I have seen put forth. Thank you, LD, for your wisdom.

Archived