SASS Wire Forum

Ruger single six and vaquero frame and drop in hammers

Shootin Straight

Pards -

My mind is all a wash in Rugers - frames size and hammers. I have looked on the forum and Google, and for charts explaining this, but I have been unable to locate a source. Perhaps a few pards can help out.

Ruger grip frame and hammers - I was lucky enough to put some montado hammers on my OMV a few years back, just a simple call to Ruger and they were on the way. Called a month or so ago, and was told they don't sell them anymore, although they make them. I'm under the impression Super Blackhawk hammers fit, and are very similar to the motados. Is there an old model SBH hammer and new model? Do I need a new model to fit my pair of new model vaqueros?

1- OMV - what lowered hammer fits as a drop in?

2. New model vaquero - what lowered hammer fits as a drop in?

Now the big question - single six - My buckaroo son would benefit from some lowered hammers on his single six revolvers - same question - do they make a drop in for old model single six, how about a new model (we have some of both) - what about the new model single six in 32 H&R, are they they same?

Thanks much in advance,

Shootin Straight

Glad you asked the question, handgunner. I've heard the various answers before. Too many in fact, so my knowledge of exchange parts is a mixed bag. Looking forward to hearing again so I can copy and paste the answer(s) into my Ruger file. I'd like to have a set of lower hammers for my New Vacaro's myself, hammers that will allow me to do away with the transfer bars.

OMV NMV both use the same hammer size. So you can mix and match. Depends on what you mean by "old" model and "new" model. If you really mean the "old" model they are three screws and hammers are VERY hard to come by. A new model is anything with a transfer bar. So, you can have a new model New Vaquero. Hammers are readily available. Same on your single sixes. If you are talking old three screw models, there are no new drop in hammers currently in production and finding an old model hammer is difficult. On the new model single sixes and .32 single sixes there is nothing that approximates a SBH hammer. The only other hammer is the single six Bisley hammer. They are NOT drop in. You can either grind the hammer to fit the frame or mill the frame to fit the hammer.

Thanks for the reply L.E Pettifogger - readily available must be like 22LR ammo! They get picked up faster then OMV's on the wire, and Brownells and Ruger do not have them in stock. Perhaps you know of a better source and can share???? Good to know about the Bisley option and sounds like that is basically the same as the Vaquero line.

Archived