SASS Wire Forum

Safety in our sport, where are we?

Cheyenne Culpepper 32827

I was shocked to find that many SASS shooters, at least the WIRE version, were adamantly vocal in their insistence that the common rule of "keep your finger away from the trigger until the gun is pointed down range". When the argument arose I expected large numbers to support my position but actually received almost none. Most accidents are preceded by a cumulation of unsafe practices, coming together to create a predictable event. At least four things came together to create this one, an equipment failure when two pieces of gear were able to become entangled, in some way the hammer became cocked, at some point the trigger was touched by SOMETHING and finally, the biggest mistake was to continue beyond the first noticed safety related failure.... No stage 'time' should ever become more important than a gun that has become out of control, stop immediately, fix the problem and start over!

As to the rule of keeping the finger away from the trigger until the gun is pointed down range, I seriously doubt that most host clubs would even allow a shooter from any sport to participate on their range under the open declaration, as several stated in regards to SA revolvers, that he disregards this common range rule.

I was shocked to find that many SASS shooters, at least the WIRE version, were adamantly vocal in their insistence that the common rule of "keep your finger away from the trigger until the gun is pointed down range". When the argument arose I expected large numbers to support my position but actually received almost none. Most accidents are preceded by a cumulation of unsafe practices, coming together to create a predictable event. At least four things came together to create this one, an equipment failure when two pieces of gear were able to become entangled, in some way the hammer became cocked, at some point the trigger was touched by SOMETHING and finally, the biggest mistake was to continue beyond the first noticed safety related failure.... No stage 'time' should ever become more important than a gun that has become out of control, stop immediately, fix the problem and start over!

As to the rule of keeping the finger away from the trigger until the gun is pointed down range, I seriously doubt that most host clubs would even allow a shooter from any sport to participate on their range under the open declaration, as several stated in regards to SA revolvers, that he disregards this common range rule.

You won't like shooting with me then...as my finger goes into the trigger guard right away when I'm competing in SASS/CAS.

Of course...there may be many other reasons why you wouldn't like shooting with me too.

Guess I'm one of those stoopid people that play different games with different rules...differently. I handle guns all day, every day and yet I'm able to keep my finger outta the trigger guard when not at a match. I even seem to be able to keep my finger out of the trigger guard at a SASS/CAS match when not on the firing line...WOW!!! Imagine that!!!!!!

Cheers!

Phantom

Do you read the safety rules for each range you compete on AND boycott those who have an absolute rule against such a practice? Your reasoning is little different from the guy who speed cocks his sa revolver while it is still in the holster, he has no intention of touching the trigger so....

Do you read the safety rules for each range you compete on AND boycott those who have an absolute rule against such a practice? Your reasoning is little different from the guy who speed cocks his sa revolver while it is still in the holster, he has no intention of touching the trigger so....

Oh yes...of course I do...

Oy.

Phantom

You won't like shooting with me then...as my finger goes into the trigger guard right away when I'm competing in SASS/CAS.

Of course...there may be many other reasons why you wouldn't like shooting with me too.

Guess I'm one of those stoopid people that play different games with different rules...differently. I handle guns all day, every day and yet I'm able to keep my finger outta the trigger guard when not at a match. I even seem to be able to keep my finger out of the trigger guard at a SASS/CAS match when not on the firing line...WOW!!! Imagine that!!!!!!

Cheers!

Phantom

+1

oy!!! I forgot wat the question was, and I started it.....oy

Archived