SASS Wire Forum

Slightly fuller grips

Jess Money

I'm adjusting to my New Vacaro's but I think I can do a better adjustment with different grip panels. My other set of revolvers are Cimarron New Frontier's and the fit is just right. What I'm looking for is a pair of grips that are just a 'bit' fuller than the factory wood grips that came with the new guns and I do prefer wood. I've felt other shooter's custom grips that are close to what I'm looking for but the owner's don't know the maker because they were on the gun when purchased. Any suggestions as how to determine what I need without going around asking pards to let me feel their grips? That might take forever!

First off your screw is only so long. That being said you can try some heavy card stock (Walmart and craft stores sell sheets of it cheap. Trace your grips on it and cut them out with scissors. You would be surprised how little it will take to make the grip seem fuller. Also a more durable way would be to buy what wood workers call "thin wood". They use it for laminating accents or what is call "intarsia inlays" and you may find it in the same wood as what you have. They usually come in as thin as a 1/16th but you may need a longer screw. Brownells may still have them for sale. They came with the escutcheon and were sold for grip makers.

Good info, CW, and I do appreciate it. But, that would probably take a trip down to New Orleans to Fine Woods for the wood and then a hunt for the longer screws. I'm not opposed to the time involved to make the shims but I'd really like to find a complete set of matching panels for two guns that would have the necessary screws with them. If all else fails, I may fall back on your suggestion. Thanks for your reply!

Jess , I had the same reaction when I first got my Vaqueros. I went with Altamont Grips , and couldn't be happier. Well , actually I could be happier if I could have afforded Elephant Ivory , but that is wishful thinking. Check out Altamont's website , you might find something you like.

There are several grip makers out there , but these I know first hand.

Good luck , Rex :D

Hogue makes grips that are somewhat thicker. I have them on my original RBVs and Single Six. I don't know about the New Vaqueros, it would be worth a call.

http://sdough.smugmug.com/Art/Just-For-Fun/i-hGcHDjF/0/M/engravedcurley1-M.jpg

I have poly-ivory, and real ivory grips from Boone Traders and they are a good bit "fuller" than stock. they are very comfortable.

curley

Howdy,

The idea of using cardboard to get a grip right is a good one.

Im in the process of making new grips (well a good pard is doing the

real work and I have hunted materials and parts).

Check out the Tombstonegrips website for parts.

The so called Gunfighter Grips from our pards over at Eagle Grips

are THINNER than standard to make the Rugers fit more like Colts.

This all depends on the size of your hands and fingers and I find

that SHOOTING the gun feels way different that just holding it at the store.

I have bought a set of smooth grips and a set of checkered grips and switched

the pairs. I like checkered under my fingertips and smooth under my palms.

Double dualist, in case you were wondering.

The grips under construction will not be polished smooth.

I want grippy without checkering. If that's possible.

My alltime favorite grips are the original Colt Woodsman grips.

Those grips on that old gun fit my hands just perfect.

Good luck with your project

Best

CR

Thanks, Grizz. Those are nice looking grips for sure. Mine were the factory Ruger grips with a hump at the top on each side. They just don't feel right for me.

Curley, I think I handled a pair of those grips and you're right. They are thicker than I want. Very similar to some of those fat simulated stag grips some shooters prefer..

CR, those Gunfighter grips are similar in appearance to the factory grips on my guns from Ruger and have the hump at the top. It's the area below the hump that's too thin for me. Not sure what size my hands are but I wear XL riding gloves.

Rattler, they are on my list to check out as are the ones from Altamont, John Barleycorn.

Thanks for your responses.

I'm adjusting to my New Vacaro's but I think I can do a better adjustment with different grip panels. My other set of revolvers are Cimarron New Frontier's and the fit is just right. What I'm looking for is a pair of grips that are just a 'bit' fuller than the factory wood grips that came with the new guns and I do prefer wood. I've felt other shooter's custom grips that are close to what I'm looking for but the owner's don't know the maker because they were on the gun when purchased. Any suggestions as how to determine what I need without going around asking pards to let me feel their grips? That might take forever!

I prefer the feel of a Colt grip - I grew up wtih that grip, so the Rugers never felt right to me.

I talked to Chris at http://www.chiselandplaneworkshop.com/photo-gallery.html and selected the wood blanks I wanted, and then sent in my grip frames from my Ruger NV's to have them fitted.

I measured the dimensions of a Colt SAA at various points, including the tapered bottom, and Chris matched those dimensions very well. He provides the hardware, and screws, so they're

custom fitted and beautifully matched! I have loved them ever since! No more off the peg grips for me!

https://picasaweb.google.com/115786146222945467962/CASMiscGunStuff#5601477256277653714

https://picasaweb.google.com/115786146222945467962/CASMiscGunStuff#5601477287698707026

Shadow Catcher

I have a pair of SASS Vaqueros and the black "plastic" grips were a little to thin for me. I bought a set of Altamont grips that are a little wider and look great too. You can find the Altamont new Vaquero grips on the Altamont website here. I bought the grips labeled "Ruger New Vaquero, Classic Panel, Super Rosewood, Fleur-de-lis Checkering." They are a little thicker and fit my hands much better. Good luck on your search and be sure to check back in and let us know what you end up doing.

Kajun

Thanks again for all your replies. It's great to have a forum where everyone is willing to share information with each other. Rest assured the answers I was given have helped someone else who has the same questions I do!

Cajun, I appreciate your input and I'll be sure to post what I've come up with. Sometime this year I'm going to make a match at the River Bend club. My daughter and her family have recently moved to Cummings from Woodstock and they're about five miles from the range. I've been there but couldn't get past the gate, not being a member.

Thanks again for all your replies. It's great to have a forum where everyone is willing to share information with each other. Rest assured the answers I was given have helped someone else who has the same questions I do!

Cajun, I appreciate your input and I'll be sure to post what I've come up with. Sometime this year I'm going to make a match at the River Bend club. My daughter and her family have recently moved to Cummings from Woodstock and they're about five miles from the range. I've been there but couldn't get past the gate, not being a member.

Riverbend Rough Riders shoot the 1st Saturday every month. Registration opens at 8am and the safety meeting starts at 9am. The website for the club is http://www.rbrr.org/ .

Jessmoney1, we'd be more than glad to have you come on out and shoot with us. If you don't have your cowboy guns with you just let me know in advance and I'll bring some guns and ammo for you to shoot with. My gun cart is big enough for two of us to shoot out of and I'd be happy to share cart space with you.

Kajun

Rather than use cardboard to shim your grips up to make them fuller, another consideration is to use thin plastic stock material used as spacer for knife handles, available from a knife-maker supply house, such as:

Texas Knifemakers' Supply

10649 Haddington Dr #180, Houston, TX 77043
(713) 461-8632

http://www.texasknife.com/vcom/index.php?cPath=587

Check them out. If nothing else, it's an interesting web site.

Cat, I think the cardboard was to be temporary to get the feel one is after, then look for something the thickness needed.

I once saw one of the original Vaqueros with 1/8 inch spacers.

Cat, I think the cardboard was to be temporary to get the feel one is after, then look for something the thickness needed.

I once saw one of the original Vaqueros with 1/8 inch spacers.

Yes, I understood that, however he (or anyone) may determine the thicknes needed and then, get the correct thickness spacer material in one or more desired colors, to build up to the overall desired thickness determined to be right by the shooter.

As you may know, getting a new set of grips is a crap shoot ast to how they will actually fit each pistol; even consecutively numbered weapons. Most gactory grips are fitted to the weapon by sanding/grinding both the grip panels and the grip frame at the same time. This way (spacer material) would be a much easier and, in my estimation, a better, permanent solution. However, each person's opinions and desires determines what they do.

Best wishes,

Why don't you measure the grips that feel right and either find or make a set the same size?

Howdy,

Thanks to Jessmoney1 fir starting one of the best posts Ive seen in recent memory.

I have a block of micarta ready to make two sets of grips and the timing couldn't be better.

I wish SASS would store this type of post for a year or two for reference but they don't ;(

Best

CR - who probably spends too much time on the wire, but pards like this make it worthwhile.....

After speaking with different grip makers, I decided to give the Altamont panels a try. I spoke to Doug at Altamont and described what I was looking for. He was very helpful and I was impressed with their return policy, not to mention their very competitive prices. I, too, decided on the Super Rosewood, Fleur-de-lis checkering on the Classic panels. I placed my order and three days later I was putting the Altamont grips on the New Vacaro's. What a difference they make! Although they are just a "silly millimeter" or two thicker than I'd prefer, they have a much better feel than the thin factory grips from Ruger and really add a nicer look, too. Even though Doug said Icould return them if I didn't like their feel, or for any other reason, I think I'll hang on to these.

Thanks to everyone for your input. It's great to have a knowledgeable group to go to for information and suggestions.

Jess...them is some good grips ain't they! I sure like mine.

If you are gonna make it to Jawja be sure and drop me a PM and I'll make sure you get set up with whatever you need so you can shoot at Riverbend with us. They shoot the 1st Saturday of every month.

Kajun

Archived