SASS Wire Forum

Broken Tab

For a number of years I was one of the lucky ones who had never had a broken bolt tab

Now since December I have broken two in the same gun

The timing of the carrier and the bolt appears correct (the bolt is fully retracted before the carrier reaches the tab)

The timing with a round on the carrier appears correct (the bolt tab is fully retracted before the rim reaches it)

The bolt tab does not reach the small piece of metal directly below the chamber when the bolt moves fully forward

I do not think I have significantly changed my levering style.

The lifter arm did have a little groove in the top where it hits the frame on the upstroke causing the carrier to rise a tiny bit high so I replaced the lifter arm after the first bolt tab broke (the second tab broke anyway)

The carrier is not "drooping" out the bottom of the receiver

The carrier spring holds so that the carrier does not drop down until the lifter arm is contacted by the lever

The tab both times bent down thus binding when the bolt was fully rearward and then cracked off

Any suggestions would sure be appreciated

Regards

Gateway Kid

On the new bolt I posted some pictures of a few days ago, if you scroll down a few photos and look at the original bolt on the left, the tab has a slope on its forward edge. This goes down the carrier channel and is suppose to scoop the rim up and onto the bolt face. If you look at the bolt on the right you can see that the slope sort of ends in the middle of the tab face. At slow speeds, the bolt would not close as the tab was hitting the bottom of the cartridge rim. If I had shot it this way the tab would have bent or broken in short order. The slope had to be stoned so that it was continuous all the way to the bottom of the tab. Shot it this weekend and everything works fine. Doesn't take much for the tab to be out of spec.

http://sassnet.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=220640

On the new bolt I posted some pictures of a few days ago, if you scroll down a few photos and look at the original bolt on the left, the tab has a slope on its forward edge. This goes down the carrier channel and is suppose to scoop the rim up and onto the bolt face. If you look at the bolt on the right you can see that the slope sort of ends in the middle of the tab face. At slow speeds, the bolt would not close as the tab was hitting the bottom of the cartridge rim. If I had shot it this way the tab would have bent or broken in short order. The slope had to be stoned so that it was continuous all the way to the bottom of the tab. Shot it this weekend and everything works fine. Doesn't take much for the tab to be out of spec.

http://sassnet.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=220640

Thanks I will check.

Should have mentioned the second bolt tab that broke was the first bolt after repair by a well known gunsmith.

As I recall it had a very small "shelf" that the lead edge directed the rim (38 spec) to sit on. Did not think to measure against one of my other rifles to see if the transition slope to edge was the same.

Regards

Gateway Kid

• 4 weeks later...

Archived