SASS Wire Forum

"Give It to Us Straight"

Subdeacon Joe

http://www.fresnobee.com/2014/04/11/3872965/breaking-news-forget-hype-and.html

""West," by the way, is anywhere beyond a six-hour drive west from Manhattan and, therefore, not worthy of further geographical reference. "Firestorm out West!" (Don't forget that exclamation point!), not "Firestorm near Grand Canyon (or Denver or Keokuk, Iowa)." (Hold that exclamation point, please.)"

About 15 years ago a politician from New York City was running for the state assembly. His opponent's attack ads repeatedly quoted a speech he'd made where he claimed that the Wild West was anything on the other side of the Hudson River.

I gotta throw in with Bocephus re: NYC. You really couldn't pay me enough to visit, let alone live there. The few things of interest- Liberty, Intrepid, the, uh...- would not be worth the misery. Zanesville to me is a BIG city. Columbus, Cleveland, Toledo? No THANK you.

I think I'd modify that to read, "Anything west of the Hudson River and east of the Rocky Mountains is the West!" (aka "flyover country" to Washington politicians. Although I not so sure it shouldn't be, "east of the Colorado/Kansas state line!"). Back in the '70's we had bumper stickers that said, "Don't Californicate Colorado!" Well, they done it! :angry:

Re connected with a friend from my college days. He had been born in NT and had just retired form a police department in upstate NY. I commented on his conservative viewpoint and lack of a NY accent.

I was told that I was mistaking NY form "The City" and its immediate surroundings and that the people there though of the upstaters as "gap-toothed, hillbillies who drink home-made booze, hunted for our own food, and married our own sisters and cousins... and we try very hard not to enlighten them in any way. That way they'll stay afraid of us and won't come up state even to visit."

Re connected with a friend from my college days. He had been born in NT and had just retired form a police department in upstate NY. I commented on his conservative viewpoint and lack of a NY accent.

I was told that I was mistaking NY form "The City" and its immediate surroundings and that the people there though of the upstaters as "gap-toothed, hillbillies who drink home-made booze, hunted for our own food, and married our own sisters and cousins... and we try very hard not to enlighten them in any way. That way they'll stay afraid of us and won't come up state even to visit."

Your friend is right. I moved to Rochester from Ohio (so I know what Old Scatterbrain is talking about) some years ago. One of my new co-workers told me this is "the real redneck end of the state." I like the area very much, except for the laws passed by the NYC-dominated state government. When it comes to population, the City is the tail that wags this dog.

Every now and then I like to remind uppity natives that it's legal to marry one's first cousin in New York, but not in Ohio.

Hype is what passes for journalism these days.

And most "journalism" is based in the major cities. It's not just NYC. The press in Los Angeles. couldn't care less about what happens east of them toward the Sierras and Denver reporters are generally afraid to venture into the non-weed smoking, conservative, gun owning, rural areas of the state.

THings are a bit skewed ay?

Absolutley right. It is not an east west thing, nor has it been for quite a while. it is an urban vs. country thing.

The folks in the big cities are the dominant voters in their states, and they are generally disconnected from the basics of life (what it takes to produce food, water, shelter, power), as well as real economics.

It is NOT geographic or particular states - it is the dominance of large city, uninformed, dependent (and their compassionate enablers) voters. Just look at the 2012 election at the county level and you can see it vividly. :ph34r:

Stopping there since AM :wub: has pulled a couple of my comments lately and I do not like to see the mother penguin images again from my parochial school youth...... :P:lol:

Hype is what passes for journalism these days.

And most "journalism" is based in the major cities. It's not just NYC. The press in Los Angeles. couldn't care less about what happens east of them toward the Sierras and Denver reporters are generally afraid to venture into the non-weed smoking, conservative, gun owning, rural areas of the state.

THings are a bit skewed ay?

They don't care about anything that happens 35 miles east of them in the Ontario/Pomona/ Montclair area. I stopped taking a local paper a couple of years ago (The first time in my life that I didn't have access to a daily paper) when a major chemical spill happened q block east of their offices and a mile from my house, and WAS NEVER MENTIONED IN THE PAPER!!! I called and asked about it and they didn't even know what I was talking about.

And JFWIW, Harve, we aren't "rural" here. There are upward of a million people in the Inland Valley area, maybe more, and until recently it was referred to as "a six pack and cowboy boots district" by politicians and "news" people.

We're just not in their frame of reference, only a place they drive through on their way to Vegas.

Archived