SASS Wire Forum

My $500 SKB200e...Questions

Rancho Roy

Yea, yea, yea..I know...Pictures are coming!

But a couple questions.

Took it all apart and figured out how to deactivate the ejectors. You simply remove the two leaf springs under the forend.

Figured out how to deactivate the auto-reset safety and still have the safety function......remove the thingy that pushes the safety back when you open the action.

But I'm trying to figure out how to deactivate the recoil set trigger. I know how it operates, pretty neat, but I'm wondering if there is a simple modification for this?

Other than that the shotgun is in great shape. The wood needs a bit of love and it needed a good dis assembly and cleaning. Put all the parts in my ultrasonic cleaner and they came out like new. It opens real easy and the spent shells fall right out. Not sure If I'm going to cut the barrels on this one.......

First off lemme just say... I Hate You ! :P

I would not recommend having the triggers converted to mechanical.

You can lighten the amount of recoil need to reset the inertia triggers by simply cutting 1 to 2 coils off of the little spring in the inertia system.

Go easy.... you can always take off more spring, but its hard to add it back.

Of course the best thing would be to just send it to me & I will reimburse your losses...... :D

Thanks Sam,

I need to shoot it first with the Winchester Cowboy 12ga loads to see how it works before I start cutting springs. I don't want it doubling on me.

Why do you advise to not have it converted to mechanical trigger?

if the sears are heated too much from welding or brazing the arm on that pushes the inertia rocker they can crack, and all sorts of funny little timing issues are introduced if ones not careful.

myself, goatneck clem and Johnny Meadows do them, as I'm sure others do as well.

a well tuned inertia reset and good shouldering are all thats needed......that being said, i use mechanicals because i rarely get the gun to my shoulder before popping the first round,

Thanks Sam,

I need to shoot it first with the Winchester Cowboy 12ga loads to see how it works before I start cutting springs. I don't want it doubling on me.

Why do you advise to not have it converted to mechanical trigger?

What Boomstick sez.......

And He does Very Good work too,

I would highly recommend him if you decide to go Full Race w/ your new SKB.

I've been shooting SKB's for close to 10 years and Never had an issue w/ a properly lightened inertia trigger.

My wife has a Dirt Merchant SKB 100 with inertial triggers, never had a problem. My son and I both have Fast Eddie SKB 100s with mechanical triggers, though the inertial set ups are still functional also. Again no problems.

I prefer the mechanicals for two reasons. First I load my son's shells really light, so light inertials don't reliably reset (he's eight). Second, I've occasionally seen stage designs where the mechanical is faster. For example, from first window enage three shotgun targets, then move to second window and engage three more. With a mechanical you can load and shoot two, load two shoot one open, move close pull trigger twice to shoot one then load two and finish. With an inertial you have to either use the barrel select button or load an extra time.

Just my two cents, either way you got a killer deal.

My wife has a Dirt Merchant SKB 100 with inertial triggers, never had a problem. My son and I both have Fast Eddie SKB 100s with mechanical triggers, though the inertial set ups are still functional also. Again no problems.

I prefer the mechanicals for two reasons. First I load my son's shells really light, so light inertials don't reliably reset (he's eight). Second, I've occasionally seen stage designs where the mechanical is faster. For example, from first window enage three shotgun targets, then move to second window and engage three more. With a mechanical you can load and shoot two, load two shoot one open, move close pull trigger twice to shoot one then load two and finish. With an inertial you have to either use the barrel select button or load an extra time.

Just my two cents, either way you got a killer deal.

I did not know that...interesting. I'm going to experiment with that tomorrow.

Mechanical, inertia didn't work for me at all, but then tha's me... Roughneck Rod in FL is very good also...

we all hope for that kind of luck!!!

Can't we all just decline to respond to a post "rubbing it in" that he bought an SKB for $500? :)

The question of whether to convert the SKB to mechanical triggers has been discussed several times and several good points have been raised on both sides.

When I bought my SKB I functioned checked it before sending it off for work. It reset fine with factory loads but would not reset 100% with my cowboy handloads. Fontana Vic observed that I was not mounting it properly; when I concentrated on getting the stock firmly against my shoulder before firing it worked better, so I'm happy to admit that there may be some "pilot error" involved.

Ultimately I had Three Cut convert it to mechanical reset while he was doing the other action work. I'm happy with that decision.

I did forget to ask to have "more speed" installed!

Can't we all just decline to respond to a post "rubbing it in" that he bought an SKB for $500? :)

The question of whether to convert the SKB to mechanical triggers has been discussed several times and several good points have been raised on both sides.

When I bought my SKB I functioned checked it before sending it off for work. It reset fine with factory loads but would not reset 100% with my cowboy handloads. Fontana Vic observed that I was not mounting it properly; when I concentrated on getting the stock firmly against my shoulder before firing it worked better, so I'm happy to admit that there may be some "pilot error" involved.

Ultimately I had Three Cut convert it to mechanical reset while he was doing the other action work. I'm happy with that decision.

I did forget to ask to have "more speed" installed!

:D :D

Archived