SASS Wire Forum

Winchester 73 color case hardening

Is the new Winchester a chemical case hardening or the real deal?

Define "real deal".

'

If by "chemical case hardening" you are referring to the way Ruger colored the frames on the Vaqueros, no they don't do it that way.

The Winchester CCH frames that I have seen look EXACTLY like Uberti's CCH '73's, so I would expect they are done the same way. This is "real" case hardening done by dipping the frames into a hot salts bath to heat them up and then immersing in a water bath which cools and causes the colors. As I said, this is "real" case hardening, but it is not the old-timey method of heating in bone meal charcoal (like Turnbull uses) which hardens more (not that modern steels need that) and is more colorful and costs a lot more as well.

Define "real deal".

'

If by "chemical case hardening" you are referring to the way Ruger colored the frames on the Vaqueros, no they don't do it that way.

The Winchester CCH frames that I have seen look EXACTLY like Uberti's CCH '73's, so I would expect they are done the same way. This is "real" case hardening done by dipping the frames into a hot salts bath to heat them up and then immersing in a water bath which cools and causes the colors. As I said, this is "real" case hardening, but it is not the old-timey method of heating in bone meal charcoal (like Turnbull uses) which hardens more (not that modern steels need that) and is more colorful and costs a lot more as well.

Yeah, I meant unlike the Rugers, I had a couple of those and they were a real let down.

Thanks

Archived