SASS Wire Forum

Yellowboy Loading Gate Question

I finally got my yallowboy last week, and I remember numerous conversations on the Wire regarding replacing the factory loading gate with a beefier aftermarket loading gate. Who is a good source for the loading gates? Thank you.

You don't have to replace it but you do need to reinforce it. Get some JB Weld, remove the side plate where the loading gate is, apply the JB where the "tang" is at. The tang would break off, that's why you put a glob of JB there.

BS

If you want to do it yerownself, here's a link:

http://bpcr1885.net/reinforcing-the-uberti-winchester-1866-loading-gate/

Here's an old post by Larsen Pettifogger on the topic:

It doesn't matter whether you buy the stock replacement from VTI or one of the after market 66 loading gates. (For example, the Cowboys & Indian Store or Brass Action gate that Brownells used to sell.) They ALL need reinforcing. The bent tab design used on the current 66 gates is simply a bad design. I would buy the C & I or Brass Action (of which I have both) and immediately, before even bothering to install it, solder a gusset behind the tab. A lot of people will simply put a glob of JB well on the gate and then file it to shape when it has hardened. I had one of mine done this way for two years before taking it out, grinding off the JB weld and then putting on a permanent steel gusset. If you have a new 66 with the bend tab gate, it isn't a question of if it will bend or break. It is only a question of when.

Don't know anyone that sells pre-reinforced gates. Simple job though for anyone with a propane torch and some low melt silver solder. Don't worry about blowing up your gun. If the tab breaks the gun will jam, but it ain't gonna blow up

Here's a link to this topic from a year ago:

http://sassnet.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=205125

--Dawg

I use a piece of 1/8" key stock glued on with JB Weld. This has lasted around 14 yrs with no issue.

Of course it lasted 14 years for ya Blue Wolf....you ain't shot the rifle in 14 years :D :D

Just busting your chops.....been a long time since we "parlez voued"...it's be good to catch up with you again at Ambush.

Many thanks for the pics... I'm gonna reinforce mine right now, before this week end contest! Pics to follow.

Jef

I still appreciate them selling us a gun that they know you can shoot without failure and has been that way for years. Thanks Uberti for your customer concerns and pride in craftsmanship.

Now Junky...don't be that way. Just look at the extremes Uberti goes through to make sure that the 2 little screws on the bottom of your rifle holding in the springs are tight and won't EVER come unscrewed :D:lol:

Archived